School Uniforms | Teen Ink

School Uniforms MAG

It's the first day of school and you have to find the perfect outfit to make a good impression. Lucky for me, I don't have this problem: my private school requires I wear a uniform. Some may think this is not a good idea, but I think it is very positive.

In school, one of the most important things is your style. The more you have, the more popular and noticed you will probably be. With uniforms, there's no discrimination because of what you're wearing. Everyone is united under the same style.

Clothing often reflects who you are and who you socialize with. In most schools, there are groups of students who dress alike. All the jocks dress differently from the preps who have a different style from the punks. You may even avoid a particular person because of what they are wearing. Uniforms require students to get to know each other by finding out about who they really are.

There are many styles of clothing, some appropriate for school and others not. Peers and the media pressure us to dress and look a certain way. Some clothing contains logos promoting drugs, alcohol or even violence. Midriff shirts, halters and mini skirts are advertised everywhere. Since students want to fit in and be cool, they want to wear this type of clothing. In most school systems, however, it is not allowed. Uniforms help eliminate these problems. All students look similar. They all fit in. There are no distractions. Uniforms allow students to concentrate on learning instead of what they are wearing.

Money also plays a big part in the clothing we wear. Not all styles are affordable. Students are ridiculed because they can't afford "in" clothing. Some may even feel pressured to steal to get the right clothing. Although uniforms are initially expensive, they can be worn for years, making them cost effective and less expensive than regular clothes.

When my school allows us a dress-down day, we can wear regular clothes. We show off our styles and wear our favorite shirts with jeans. Surprisingly, on dress-down days, we remain similar. We know each other well enough to be ourselves. Even without uniforms, we dress alike!

I believe uniforms help unite us in a common goal: to do well in school. It is a symbol of our unity. They demonstrate to everyone that we are more than just our clothes: we are all individuals.

Jess said...
School uniforms are actually cheaper, if you think about it a uniform is brought and will last five or so years, which depending on the school may be the whole time through your high school, in the long run they are cheaper than wearing your own clothes everyday. Besides there is always the other option of getting a second hand uniform, which are generally pretty cheep or at least cheaper that the new. I have had mine for four years and it will well and truly last another 3. Even my shoes are fine, of course they were expensive to begin with having to be red but that is beside the point. Generally parents will buy the uniforms so they will last, and even get them a bit big if needed to cater for any growth spirts.

jubs said...
i don't think that schools should alow uniforms because you would have to wear it every day. What would happen if your mom washed them but didn't put them in the dryer then you wouldn't be in dress code and you would get in trouble. 

joe.D said...
I bet you both buy a lot. but what about the people that dont have the time of the money to. a school uniform may make the familly buy a uniform for a hole school year and for some that is a long time.

raceforce5 said...
raceforce5, Fishers, Indiana
school uniforms are great for schools

Lando said...

Uniforms and Unicorns

What do you think of when you hear the word “unicorn?  I think “Umm… unicorns are fake, make believe.” But then I doubt myself, and I think “Well, they could exist somewhere. You never know.” Now, what do you think when you hear the word uniform? I think “Oh yuck.” Then there is the big “but” again. So I think “You know, they might really work for all that discipline and stuff for SOME kids SOMEWHERE.

According to www.buzzle.com, in the year 2009, the school uniform policy was effectively implemented in 21 schools in the United States of America. The following are some statistics from here:

The crime rate dropped by 91% in some areas.

There was 90% less prone to suspension in other areas.

Some places had 96% less sex offenses committed.

Also in one area there was 69% less vandalism.

You know what they don’t mention in any of these stats? What the essays the kids write are like after they implement the uniforms. Do these kids write how THEY feel and how THEY think? Or do they just go and plunk down what they KNOW the TEACHERS want and think? If we had none of these kids who express their opinions and stand out we wouldn’t have computers, or paper, or water bottles. The people who stand out are smart and put down what they think regardless they might get a bad grade for putting what they think instead of what the school wants.

Trevor said...
uniforms suck

Lola said...
What about your at home clothes? You can't just wear your uniform all the time so if you think about it, to have school uniforms it takes more money.

taaaaylor said...
taaaaylor, Durham, North Carolina
yes, yes they should !

dee350 said...
exactly it wont matter they should be banned

taaaaylor said...
im doing a pro & con prject for my school , i need some help ! i really believe in the *NO SCHOOL UNIFORMS* but, i still have to go both sides of the debate . can someone please help me out?!

taaaaaylor said...
well , i agree with athenadagreat ! problem is that people believe that it "helps" stop bullying and all that but really you get bullied either way , but in different ways and also by outsides. no one really likes them , just saying .

i agree sista!

AGREED!! thanks i really agrre with you and i mite use this on my report for school

you are crazy!! nobody likes uniforms and even a lot of peoples parents are against it!! uniforms suck and im doing this on a school project.

i agree with what you said. it makes perfect sense

Cheese said...
I'm glad that I don't have to wear uniforms, because I think they are ugly. And I would like to show my personality trough my clothes. I think that I wouldn't be the same if I wear a uniform. That's just my opinion.

HottiesDK said...
We're from a school in Denmark, and we don't have any rules about wearing schooluniforms. We're both against and for it. We think it would be very boring if everyone have to wear the same clothes, but on the other hand no one could bully you with clothes. Maybe the uniforms are uncomfortable, and very expensive.  

music.child said...

I think that school uniforms are not improving anything but they are just making everything more stressful for the students and the parents to have to buy them. Uniforms are not cheep they are really exspensive even when you have to wear skirts. Uniforms are making more problems then before because now we are getting told we cant wear this and we cant wear that. If the staff, teachers and principal enforced the rule of what the student hand book said then you would not have to worry about students not tucking in their shirt or not wearing a belt. I think students cant express themselves. We still get mad fun of becasue we dont have good uniforms or if we do. But either way students stil get bullied and we still have issues becasue now the parents get involed and its just more of a mess. We students would not be wearing uniforms if the staff of the school knew how to take their role as a teacher or principale and enforce the student code hand book dress polacy rule on us. becasue I dont see anywhere in the handbook to were we have to tuck in our shirts or wear a belt and we cant wear jackets with hood or pockets on them and so on and so forth.

I HATE HATE HATE SCHOOL UNIFORMS!!!!!!

LittleMiss said...
All of the preppy people at my school are mean, snotty, and immature so I do NOT want to look like them.

salpal said...
i  dont like school uniforms. I have to wear the and in school i like to be comfy but i cant. Also im self consious in my uniform