School Uniforms | Teen Ink

School Uniforms MAG

It's the first day of school and you have to find the perfect outfit to make a good impression. Lucky for me, I don't have this problem: my private school requires I wear a uniform. Some may think this is not a good idea, but I think it is very positive.

In school, one of the most important things is your style. The more you have, the more popular and noticed you will probably be. With uniforms, there's no discrimination because of what you're wearing. Everyone is united under the same style.

Clothing often reflects who you are and who you socialize with. In most schools, there are groups of students who dress alike. All the jocks dress differently from the preps who have a different style from the punks. You may even avoid a particular person because of what they are wearing. Uniforms require students to get to know each other by finding out about who they really are.

There are many styles of clothing, some appropriate for school and others not. Peers and the media pressure us to dress and look a certain way. Some clothing contains logos promoting drugs, alcohol or even violence. Midriff shirts, halters and mini skirts are advertised everywhere. Since students want to fit in and be cool, they want to wear this type of clothing. In most school systems, however, it is not allowed. Uniforms help eliminate these problems. All students look similar. They all fit in. There are no distractions. Uniforms allow students to concentrate on learning instead of what they are wearing.

Money also plays a big part in the clothing we wear. Not all styles are affordable. Students are ridiculed because they can't afford "in" clothing. Some may even feel pressured to steal to get the right clothing. Although uniforms are initially expensive, they can be worn for years, making them cost effective and less expensive than regular clothes.

When my school allows us a dress-down day, we can wear regular clothes. We show off our styles and wear our favorite shirts with jeans. Surprisingly, on dress-down days, we remain similar. We know each other well enough to be ourselves. Even without uniforms, we dress alike!

I believe uniforms help unite us in a common goal: to do well in school. It is a symbol of our unity. They demonstrate to everyone that we are more than just our clothes: we are all individuals.

DifferentTeen PLATINUM, Seaford, Delaware

"There’s no such thing as true love, just spurts of insanity—falling over and over again, thinking that won’t happen to me"

Last thing, I noticed you said it eliminates distractions from what people wear. My school is always saying "you don't go to school to judge what other people wear, you come to learn." So why are they SO obsessed with what we wear?

(sorry for the novel haha, nice article though, I like your style! ) :D

Honestly, I don't see the point in them. Well I do, but it never works out the way its meant to. If someone is made fun of for not being "attractive" making them wear the same thing as everyone else just makes it easier for the other kids to pick out things. Sure they won't make fun of what they're wearing, since they're wearing the same thing, sure uniforms eliminate that problem. But it will also lead kids into making fun of another's looks which I think is worse for a persons self confidence, because you can't help the way you look.You could dress like a model and still not live up to the high standards of most peoples "good-looking" expectations. You can't make kids act better by making them wear the same thing as everyone else, in fact its almost guaranteed to make ALL the students hate the school system. Another thing, I wouldn't mind uniforms if they weren't so... ugly. Most just include khakis and blue collared shirts or something along the lines of that. Not all, but its quite popular among uniforms.
(btw for people who are on a budget, uniforms might even be more expensive for a family as apposed to buying clothes in a store)

IAmWhoIWantToBe PLATINUM, Manila, Other

‎"I’m learning how to drown out the constant noise that is such an inseparable part of my life. I don’t have to prove anything to anyone. I only have to follow my heart and concentrate on what I want to say to the world: I run my world." - Beyoncé

We wear uniforms at school but there is still this "circles". But maybe, you're just lucky to be where you are. :)

rockyraccoon said...
rockyraccoon, Fort Wayne, Indiana

today tommorow next month next year all look remarkably gray.

i disagree with you. im a smidge of a slob and tend to dress in clothes that are stained or wrinkeled and that was apparent when i wore a school uniform and when i did not have to. you can still seperate people even when there forced to where pretty much the same thing.

IndigoFlower said...
on Jun. 9 2011 at 12:02 am
I think they make you tuck in your clothes because it makes you appear tidier

Allygirl said...
Well, yeah, but I'm pretttyy darn sure the "emos" dress like that for a reason. And, yeah kids are vain, but thats life. It is people in general are vain and judge mental. Thats life, not just school. No matter where you are you are getting judged. Are we supposed to wear uniforms outside of school too, just so that we fit in better?? Haa, fat chance.

peaceluvtoast BRONZE, Fort Myers, Florida
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
I think it would be a positive idea to spread uniforms throughout school districts

enger said...
i think to all the school need to have a uniform is better like that and that is my own opinion

Hi 11 said...
Nice article

christina said...
no comment:)

BIG DADDY said...
IT NOT THAT TRUEE 

dudemagnet said...
i like to express myself im kinda funky and its cool like in my coltes and im not about to change it now

Eeve said...
I must make the point that kids are vain and do judge based on clothes- for example "labels are for soupcans" but still people use them. For example, "Emo" people are hated by other students for what they wear, without anyone knowing what they are really like. Catch my drift?

JakeandAmir said...
When I'm writing it I find my personal views contridicting what I have come to believe while researching the topic. In my paper I am for it because all the benifits there are but personally I would hate to have the rule be inforced at my school. Also as I read her essay I can't help but notice how she talks about clothes being distracting and yet at my school nobody even cares. You just wear what you want.

JakeandAmir said...
I'm writing a report on this topic and I found this page very helpful. I didn't actually care about the essay the girl wrote but the comments to see how many people were with uniforms and how many were against.

JohnChan said...
In my school, we can wear anything we like but must be appropriated. But i got a question, Why do we have to tuck in our clothes? Does tucking in our clothes means something?

foxtrot said...
us as teen need to express our selves. i dont want to look like every girl in the school because im one person and no one person is the same.

I really don't like unifoms they stink. Don't u think tucking in shirts are kinda annoying?

madison2015 said...
i go to a private school and we have a uniform which shows no individuality in history we r learning about the constitution & the first ammendment says we have the right to wear what we want!!!

lil67 said...
I dont agree actually