First Impressions | Teen Ink

First Impressions MAG

I came to Massachusetts for the first time in 1990 to go to prep school iin Winchendon. After living in Africa my whole life, my first impression was that it was too cold for me. Presently, Kenya is my home. My parents work for the government and we travel all over the world visiting exotic and interesting places. Never in my life have I experienced waking up to cold, dark days, since Kenya has a wonderfully pleasant atmosphere and temperature at all times.

I am an American, but have lived in Swaziland, Jordan, South Africa and Vietnam.

When the leaves fell off the trees, I knew I should have gone to California to school. As it kept getting colder, I grew more accustomed to the exhausting weather. The average temperature year-round in Kenya is 75 degrees. It is never as hot as the United States, nor is it as cold. Kenya's pleasant sunshine keeps everything green and there's little humidity so the air is comfortable. It only rains during the night, which is a great way to fall asleep. Altogether, Kenya is a fantastic place to live and has so much to offer.

Massachusetts has not been too bad, because here I am finding out so much about life in the States, and I'm getting a good education, despite the cold winters.

I get very homesick thinking about home. Just think, while most of you are stuck in snow during Christmas, I am enjoying a nice, cold iced tea sitting by the pool laughing at you back in Massachusetts. n