My Name | Teen Ink

My Name

January 20, 2022
By BozoBoi GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
BozoBoi GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Most people see my name as just a shortening for the name Benjamin. but it’s so much more complicated than that. 


My name is a tantrum that will be set off with the smallest agitation. It means chaos. It demonstrates the balance between peace and suffering. 


My name is the color royal blue. It means betrayal. It is like the number 8, an odd number, a number that either completes something or makes it awkward and clumsy. 


The name Ben lies deep in a castle far from any other living soul. Ben has waves crashing down on the sharp, slick, steep rocks where the foundation was built. The castle is relatively small, not meant for anyone special, but a jailor. No, Ben is not the captive of this jail but the one who keeps everything under control. Ben holds the door closed from all the other worse names including the Jamin, jie, jamonster, jerman. These names try to latch on all the other Bens in the world and it's a disgrace if one does. If Ben wasn’t stuck with guarding this door he would be off in a beautiful forest with running waterfalls, wildlife, and light green trees. 


There are many nicknames for my name including the name that everyone at football calls me: Benny. I like when the name Benny is used, it gives a sort of accomplishment, especially when I do something nasty in football. This extension of my name inspires me to keep striving for greatness and lets me keep going of the slow drone of school. Benny is where my dreams go at night and where my hopes and desires reside. 


I like my name and that there isn’t any origin, it adds a mystery component, some spice. It shows a fresh start, something to build upon, something that expands into more than just a name. A legacy can grow from someone that was nothing and make a name from themselves. It is a foundation that represents a castle, it can be lonely on an island secluded from any other people,or it can be connected to other land and expand because it has a potential that is almost limitless. 


Ben is a short name, an easy name, something that I could go by for the rest of my life.


If I happened to be born different, the name that I would rather go by would be Emma. Emma is a name that is defined by a personality. A personality that shines brightly, a light that finds you when you are down and lifts you back up. Emma would be the color green because it is beautiful like nature itself. Emma is a mountain that once it settles in your life there's no getting rid of it. Emma’s voice sounds like something divine is possessing her. Emma is there waiting for you after a long and terrible day and makes it all better. Emma will be the best thing in your life and it will never be any different. It is a name that will live on forever from how they impacted your life. Nobody will ever regret introducing Emma into their life. 


The author's comments:

This piece is bad