Extraterrestrials: Myth or Reality? | Teen Ink

Extraterrestrials: Myth or Reality?

January 31, 2010
By bass_rockrgrl13 PLATINUM, Burlington, Massachusetts
bass_rockrgrl13 PLATINUM, Burlington, Massachusetts
21 articles 0 photos 73 comments

“…Ladies and gentlemen, this is the most terrifying thing I have ever witnessed... Wait a minute! Someone's crawling out of the hollow top. Someone or...something. I can see peering out of that black hole two luminous disks…are they eyes? It might be a face. It might be...”

That little excerpt was from the show being dramatized by radiobroadcaster Orson Welles on Sunday, October 30, 1938, a script based on H. G. Wells’ War of the Worlds. If you were, perhaps, at a study group you would probably have turned to your friends in utter shock and terror, “Is this possible? Aliens invading New York?”

Most people only got half of the whole story. There were no “aliens,” more scientifically known as extraterrestrials. However, could it be possible that there are indeed other unknown life forms in outer space? Well, every living thing requires water to survive. At least, every thing known to live on Earth does. That is what NASA set out to see – whether or not the moon had water.
“The moon is alive,” stated Anthony Colaprete, head scientist for this mission. On October 9, 2009, the LCROSS purposely smashed into the south pole of the Moon. Following the crash, a rocket was sent through the wreckage to measure many statistics, including how much water was discovered. To the surprise of many, there was a considerable amount (about twenty-four gallons). Scientists claim that this discovery has opened a new window of knowledge about the evolution of our solar system. This could be the explanation Darwin had been waiting for.
Could other solar systems be similar to ours? If so, there actually is a good chance that even foreign bacteria exist. Those bacteria could have even already developed into complex, multi-chamber-hearted organisms. For all we know, there could be another division of homo sapien driving around on their home planet in CO²-powered hovercrafts. Their scientists could already be traveling at the speeds of light and sound. In fact, they could be accelerating at even greater speeds than that. The afore-mentioned creature might possibly have the intelligence of a space of nothingness. Although this contradicts what is believed by movie makers, all opinions must be looked at from every perspective.
A new species could be either beneficial or not beneficial to the human race. We could learn from them, or they could learn from us. The Roswell event might even be explained. Thinking schizophrenically, we could be taken over using some sort of mind control, never mind completely destroyed. It might not be so great after all, now that the idea has been elaborated further. I do not believe that I look forward to being annihilated. The year 2012 could indeed be the end of the world if these creatures are like the camp officers mentioned in Allan Moore’s graphic novel V for Vendetta. It sure would be an extremely unpleasant experience. They could be so cruel as to use the inhumane torture method of blasting us in a soundproof room with songs by artists such as Drowning Pool, System of a Down, Slip Knot and Marilyn Manson. We could even be their lab rats, or guinea pigs, if you prefer to say. We could be reduced to their equivalent of gummy worms. As I sit here biting the tails off of these poor souls, I feel sorry for them as I realize the pain they would be going through (were they alive). "Please, Superior Alien, sir or madam, leave me a human! I prefer not to be an accumulation of gelatinous stuff."
What would the anatomy of this new species look like? It could be any colour, pattern, or shape. It could have multiple body parts or even ones that are totally original. Disney’s “E.T.” could show up at any time wanting to “phone home.” An alien could be able to shape-shift and morph into anything it wants to be. Scientists would have a field day over the anatomical structures and biological aspects of the extraterrestrials. For instance, would melanin even be the cause of their colour?
So, if there were any other life forms, the moon should be host to some sort of by-product that the creature emitted in some breathing pattern. Therefore a scientist could trace a path back to it by following this anonymous gas. It could be found with ease if only the gas’s name was known.
This whole event, the discovery of water on the Earth's moon, makes one wonder whether or not NASA will attempt to crash into any other parts of the moon so water presence can be further tested. If there is any more of the compound, there could very well be more life forms as well. A completely different species could be identified.
What will the near future bring? One can only wait and see the events to come. Until then, the world remains somewhat peaceful and not chaotic.


The author's comments:
I actually submitted this article for the 2010 DuPont science essay competition as well as to Teen Ink. My science teacher inspired me to write this.