Posthuman zombies | Teen Ink

Posthuman zombies

Are we Post human digital zombies?

Recently Adrian Higgins a garden columnist that “We consume Apples and Blackberry’s as we lose touch with the natural world.” That leads to have we lost touch with everything around us? Have we become post human digital zombies?

I defend Higgins statement because we all are digital zombies. We are consumed in our own little worlds of facebook, twitter, text messaging, video games, and Ipods. We don’t ofter see the outside because when we are outside we are on the phone texting or talking on it completely oblivious to everything. “ If every computer were to crash tomorrow it would be catastrophic.” Says Katherine Hayles author of “How we became Posthuman.” I for one wouldn’t really know what to do with myself or what to do until they fixed it. I wouldn’t even be thinking about the outside world or think about the outdoors if everything crashed. I would just sit waiting and wondering when I will get my internet. Some days force me to use digital technology and it has become part of our everyday life. Listening to your IPod, going on facebook, texting, and all of the things mentioned above have replaced our need for the natural world. If you want to look at something from the outside world you don’t even have to leave your room all you have to do is go on Google and look it up.

For us to not be digital zombies we must for at least a short period of time every day turn everything off and spend some time in the natural world. I think I’ll go do that right now.