Things Your Teachers Never Taught You | Teen Ink

Things Your Teachers Never Taught You

Things Your Teachers Never Taught You

I find the life’s greatest lessons and values don’t come from school books, but from within oneself. One of my most important values actually came from a part of a song lyric. “You will know heartache, prayers that don’t work, and times on bitter circumstances, but I still believe in second chances.” To me, this means that no matter how bad my past is, I shouldn’t give up on the future. If I get a second chance to make things right, I should always try to. I have made many mistakes in the past and done so many things I wish I could take back or do-over. I always wish that life were easy and had a rewind button, or every time I mess up I could just say “Hey! I want a do-over!” and magically, that last moment would be gone and I could fix my mistakes without worrying about any consequence. Sadly, we all learn the hard way that life isn’t easy, and there are no “do-over’s.” But sometimes we are given the next best thing, a second chance.

I have known heartache. I have lost those very special to me, people and things, and have experienced major setbacks in the achievement of my dreams. I have had many an unanswered prayer. No matter how much I need them no one listens. I have been let down by people when I needed them most, and times of bitter circumstances are an everyday affair. That’s life, we get through it. Things always improve eventually. Because no matter how hard life may get, I still believe in second chances.