The Wonders of the Praying Mantis | Teen Ink

The Wonders of the Praying Mantis

Anyone who knows what a praying mantis is knows how interesting they are. They are a creepy, dramatic, ruthless, and ironic insect. Part of the reason they are so ruthless is because in some cases the female will eat the head of the male praying mantis after they mate. Absolutely ruthless, the female praying mantis instead of kicking the guy out will just kill him just because. If I was an insect I would not want to be a praying mantis because if I was married to another praying mantis bug I would not want to die, especially not that way. No way.
They are creepy because I mean just personally looking at a praying Mantis gives me the creep, they have really rigid posture and when they start crawling towards me I just walk away, no thanks bug. To whomever is reading this piece, if you have watched the original star wars movies, the episode where Anakin and Padme were in the petranaki arena there was a beast that looked like a praying mantis on steroids and was so creepy. The creature was trying to stab obi wan with its legs and I picture that whenever I see a praying Mantis so that is probably why I find them so creepy.

I find the praying mantis ironic because why name an insect a ‘praying’ mantis when some of them rip each others heads off for no good reason. That does not sound very peaceful or spiritual to me. They should be called the hating mantis, or the hulk mantis because they are green and are violent to each other.

That being said I do not think we should go out of our way to hurt the mantis. When I was leaving school one day there was a praying mantis on one of the sidewalks and I saw a kid go up to it and he absolutely crushed the praying mantis with his boot. Everyone near him looked at him stunned and with a questioning look on their faces. He then kicked the praying mantis thirty feet into the sewer and by that point someone yelled at him. He responded to the lady who yelled at him by saying, “what, the praying mantis shouldn’t have been walking in front of me like that”. I was so puzzled by that but I am assuming it would be a safe bet to say that he does not like bugs at all. He should probably look into becoming a bug exterminator if he has that much hatred for the bugs on our planet.

In Australia I do not recall seeing a praying mantis although I was young when I lived there. If there were it makes sense that I do not remember the bug because in addition to being a bit younger I had far bigger worries as far as bugs. Venomous spiders for one, wasps, scorpions, and snakes that could of killed me pretty quick if I had ever been bit that is.

The praying mantis serves its use for humans though. The praying mantis kills other insects and bugs that we consider pests in everyday life for food. Kind of like spiders, they may be annoying and creep people out but they kill other insects and keep their numbers down so if you really dislike bugs this is one that you should tolerate for its use at killing other pests.

I was assigned a nature piece for school on an insect and I thought it would be cool to write about a praying mantis as I don't see many of them.