Why Is Dystopian Literature Coming Back? | Teen Ink

Why Is Dystopian Literature Coming Back?

February 5, 2019
By odunbar77 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
odunbar77 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“Until recently, dystopian fiction was created by authors writing for adults, an audience that brings not only awareness of social values but also their own deeply-held beliefs about those values to the book” (Why are Teens Reading Dystopian Novels). Readers are drawn to dystopian stories because of the moral of the story and how exciting they can be. Students also enjoy these stories because of the plot and the moral of the story. Teen enjoy these stories for many reasons that have to do with the future and the very small tightly controlled communities. As a little summary, dystopian stories offer much more than a fictional story, these are stories about a journey of a character to stop what is happening in the story. This is saying that dystopian stories have more to them than other genres of stories and that is what attracts young kids and teens to the story. These types of stories give young readers and adults the sense of hope that they can speak up for what they believe in and make a change in certain societies and forms of government. What I am trying to say is that anyone who reads these stories can get a sense of being able to make a change for a country or even the world.


Adults enjoy these stories because it makes them see how dystopia could have into their lives whilst they were still young. Young adults do not realize how powerful a government can be and especially because of our countries Democratic government. The people of our countries and many others are not able to understand how cruel our governments and militaries can really be. By reading these types of stories, we can get some sort of an idea about how powerful our countries can really be. My point is that some people don’t understand what our governments are capable of but these stories give us the perfect insight of who is leading our country and what they have the power to accomplish. Adults enjoy dystopian literature because it makes them feel like they could have had a lot of power in their time. This means that while adults are reading these stories, it makes them feel like they could have been apart from the government in that time

 

I believe that women enjoy this genre of fiction more because they are more interested in reading than men are. Women enjoy these stories more because if you look up which gender likes dystopian stories more, all you will see are articles about women. I say this because when I looked up which gender likes dystopian literature more, more than half of the articles were about women and their thoughts on dystopian short stories and why they like it so much. “We’ve given the children everything they ever wanted. Is this our reward- secrecy, disobedience.” (The Veldt)  This supports my statement because women tend to stay around these stories because they have an emotional connection to the female characters in the story and what they have to deal with.


Readers tend to come back to dystopian literature because of the suspense of the story and how real it can be to many young and older readers. “As reported last month, Penguin Random House has seen a 9,500 percent sales increase for George Orwell's 1984 since Trump’s inauguration; that was enough to propel the book to the top spot on Amazon's bestseller list.” This quote from wired shows that in the last 2 years, certain dystopian stories are on the rise since they went down in popularity.


In dystopian literature, there are many reasons why you should try reading the stories and possibly staying away from them. I think that dystopian literature is a great genre to read because of the story and the moral behind the story, it gives reader a sense of reality and what may come in the future. On the opposite side of things, I think that certain readers should stay away from dystopian stories because it can leave a mark on people's minds about the dangers of our own governments and what could happen to them while they are older. I believe that the characters in dystopian stories and the readers can use the problems they face in life to overcome the power that controls them.