How Many Of You Hate America? | Teen Ink

How Many Of You Hate America?

By Eilina Sealtman SILVER, London, Other
Eilina Sealtman SILVER, London, Other

The common view of things is often different from the reality. They can be twisted, beautiful images that shield us from the truth. Sometimes people should think of it not as a shield, but as a blindfold. Because a world superpower is taking steps too far. By consuming more fossil fuels than is necessary, by standing still and making no military progression when it was needed, and by waging war on a country and attacking soldier and civilians over a mere dispute for oil. This “great” country, is America.

Many people look to America and sigh with envy at “the American Dream” . However, that dream cannot last long, while America is guzzling up precious resources left on a rapidly crowding planet. These figures speak for themselves about the evident greed of America:

Coal > Production
531,822,000 ton

Coal consumption
1,060,000,000

Commercial energy use
8,148.38

Electric power consumption > kWh
3,920,613,000,000 kWh

Electricity > Consumption
3,892,000,000,000 kWh

Gasoline prices
0.77

Geothermal power use
5,640

Natural gas > Consumption
652,900,000,000 cu m

Natural Gasoline > Production
12,275,000 ton

Nuclear electricity generation
780.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear energy consumption
821.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear reactors operable
104

Oil > Consumption
20,680,000 bbl/day

Oil > Exports
1,165,000 bbl/day

Oil > Production
8,457,000 bbl/day

Oil imports > Net
10,400,000 barrels per day

Oil reserves
22,450,000,000 barrels

Usage per person
8.35 TOE per person

Wall plugs > Voltage
110 V

Wind energy installation
6,740 MW

These crimes are forgivable, as other nations are guilty of many similar crimes, such as Brazilians chopping down the Amazon. But global warming is not the most important aspect that we can hold against America. America has extorted countries beyond the point of recovery. Equador, for example, was reduced to a poor scrabbling wreck once America dealt out loans to them. Now Equador only has 5% of its national budget to spend on public services, whilst the rest of the money goes into paying off foreign aid, almost all of which goes to America. Is this right? Is it fair that Americans can bully nations? Furthermore. America threatens, assasinates, and then goes to war with the presidents of countries who refused to run their countries as they like. The war with Iraq is a simple example. America wanted oil. Iran refused to give for no good reason. Why should we just let them do this to us? Us as a world?
Oh yes, because they have guns!

The U.S.A government is a trigger-happy collection of murderous power figures, They do so much to the world, and yet they have nuclear arms and their military to point at other nations, and say “give me your money!” They succeeded for so long due to pure fear, but now other countries have the chance to strike back. America doesn't have all the power anymore. A single grain of rice can tip a scale. Somehow, America has set in a system which everybody likes. A system where people don't think. Where they impulsively buy items that will break very soon. In America, only 10% of items bought for a house are kept for more than a month, and only 5% of those remain for 6 months. America designs products to be made so they break as soon as possible, but will still leave the client with faith in the product, enough so to buy themselves more.

But who benefits from this system?

The aristocrats do. Right up in their trees, lording over us. There are bankers who awarded themselves millions of dollars in bonuses whilst creating a recession that would cripple thousands of struggling individuals around the world. This doesn't cause stress for people living on government benefits, but for the people who are just above the poverty line. America makes those people struggle and work every day. It does so by enforcing a system where the elite (namely money-posessing) people take hold. Can nothing be done to create a fair and happy world?

Well, there is something you can do. You can be fair. You can be smart, and you can think before reaching for your credit card while watching an auction channel. You can PAUSE and WAIT before buying that “wonderful new shave”. We have to know our limitations, and stretch them. Whoever is reading this, YOU are the workforce. You are the people economically enslaved. There is hope. You can work together towards goals such as Project Venus, Save The Forests, Oil Conservation, and Fairtrade. These small lifestyle changes will help you sleep at night. How can we sleep after reading this, knowing that we are only here through the turmoil and suffering of potentially hundreds of other men, women and children.

When a child reaches to the future, who will have the heart to say, “we've used it up, son.”

Many of you will be enraged by this article. I mean no offence to any human being, merely a minority's actions. And if you can condemn a terrorist group, can you condemn a group of terrorist that don't use guns and use the American people to shield themselves?

zebrachic BRONZE, Anchorage, Alaska

Chance favors the prepared mind.

There is natural resources in Alaska and even though the whole country doesn't use it. We Alaskans do use it. I don't want to point fingers becuase the problems brought up are the entire world's problem but when the adults finally decide that our earth is worth saving, China would be a good place to start.

zebrachic BRONZE, Anchorage, Alaska

Chance favors the prepared mind.

But we are doing a lot more to go green then we were five years ago. Like we have recycling in every school, we do composting and such. I think that even though it isn't as much as we COULD be doing, we are still making a difference even if it is small.

zebrachic BRONZE, Anchorage, Alaska

Chance favors the prepared mind.

Actually Justin Bieber is from Canada... just saying..

lizzyreilly PLATINUM,

American consumption might seem larger than the UK, but perhaps look at population differences to account for that. 310,877,000 people live in the US. Only 61,792,000 people live in the entire United Kingdom. That's about, if you'll excuse the estimation, five US citizens to every 1 UK citizen. Though, the US does consume 10 times more energy per capita than the UK. The US also produces more energy, though.

I believe that just because a country uses more energy does not mean they are evil. I think it only means they are more industrialized. Sure, there are some bad habits Americans have, but let's not forget the UK has itself a rather shady history of war, enslavement, and aristocrats taking advantage of the poor.

Let those without sin cast the first stone.

kateknopp BRONZE, Carmel, Indiana

"Trade your guns and fire with doves; we fight for love, and peace will find us with harmony." -Christofer Drew

"Sometimes you've gotta fall before you fly."

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." -Oscar Wilde

all i have to say is forget the government. nobody cares about politics. they're not worth fighting over, so my work is done here. peace

Eureka. said...
Really, who are you to say exactly what this person is doing for the environment? I'm sure this author is doing as much as possible, and writing an article like this is certainly alerting others of the planet we are slowly murdering. You are correct to say that oil and other unrenewable resources have been limited from the begining, and the only thing to do is find another energy source that is helpful to the environment. If every single person on this planet rode bikes to work/school or whatever, it still wouldn't reverse what has already been done. The Earth is permenantly damaged, and it will take some serious thinking to revive this planet from the doom it's heading for. And I'm not talking about "2012" either.

Willful_Destruction, Chicago, Illinois
Such a stereotype. You obviously don't know much about (most) of the American school children here, because I am very aware of the outside world, as well as our own government failings/succeedings. You don't live here, you don't know our everday life. You only know of our government, how the rest of the world portrays us, and, as I said, stereotypes. 

Willful_Destruction, Chicago, Illinois

Exactly! And did you see the State of Union Speech and the proposals Obama has sent to Congress over the last few weeks/months? This article says we are bullies, that we consume the world and "rule" (Psh!) by fear, but we are cutting money back from our military and investing it in new teachers, solar power research, faster ways to travel, etc. Our goal is to, what, have so many electrically powered cars on the road in five, ten, fifteen years? 

And I agree wholeheartedly with the "but what about comparing them to the amount of America and density in which we use these resources and compare them to other countries" bit. 

I suppose the author only wanted to blame and show our bad side, while ignoring everybody elses and our good deeds? Hmph. 

Blackwing said...
Blackwing, Manassas, Virginia

Humans are born , then they die. Thus, is it not better not being born at all? You have to ask yourself, what you can acomplish in this short amount of time.

Thisis pointless. Oil and everything is bound to run down someday. there is no way to conserve it unless everyone stops useing these materials you listed. I bet you, who wrote this. don't even try to help the enviroment or future. You may post topics telling people to stop, but wn't work unless you do it. every single person who helps makes a diffrence.

aspiringauthor_ BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." - MLK Jr.

I didn't necessarily mean perfectly fine in every single way. I meant it as, "we are not a war torn country," "we are not like North Korea..." And if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it at all - a concept which this author clearly has not grasped yet.

WelshSam BRONZE, Caerphilly, Other

There are too many to choose from.

*cough* Britain *cough*

WelshSam BRONZE, Caerphilly, Other

There are too many to choose from.

I am Britsh also (Welsh), and am frequently disgusted by the ignorance of the average American. I despise the way they call the UK "England" and the way they are so ignorant of the rest of the world. How can they be so?!

WelshSam BRONZE, Caerphilly, Other

There are too many to choose from.

"Perfectly fine", yeah, ok.

LOL!!!!!!!!!

Joan39 said...
I love little more than books and animals, and little less than closedminded individuals.

EarthGirl BRONZE, Dallas, Texas

“Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life.”
“The earth we abuse and the living things we kill will, in the end, take their revenge; for in exploiting their presence we are diminishing our future."

And if you read my post, it's not just America's fault, thank you very much. It's everyone's. All I said was that America was one of the countries that added to the problem. :/

EarthGirl BRONZE, Dallas, Texas

Obviously, if most people cared, there wouldn't be global warming.

Actually, most people do care. I think you just don't care enough to do your research.

I'm going to pretend none of the other comments were posted, because most of them were offensive. And now onto the topic of discussion. Your wonderful little article above. My first point: Something you said about Ecuador really was hurtful (to me at least). One, you spelled it wrong. Two, my school does a fundraiser for Ecuador to help education and other things there. I think you are sadly mistaken on what goes on over here... "Across the pond," as you may say. Kindly wait until you live in America to make assumptions and come to conclusions on what we are doing right and what we are doing wrong. Now, I know that we do some things wrong (i.e., letting George Bush Jr. become president), but that does not mean that everything we do is wrong. Oh, and one small thing: What you said was the cause of the war with Iran is not the cause. There were many reasons why we went to war with them. Many, many reasons, and you obviously do not know them (I do not know all of them either, but I know enough not to say I do/make up reasons). I am not going to comment on anything else in your article. I'm just going to say this. I would actually be more okay with this article if you lived in the good ole U.S. of A. But you don't, and you are insulting someone else's country. So kindly leave our perfectly fine country alone. If you have that much of a problem with it, then you can go to Barack Obama - or, since you hate America so much, just go ahead and drop a nuclear bomb on us and kill millions of people. Being mean to others isn't the answer. We should all work together to see what everyone is doing wrong, not just one country out of many.

EarthGirl BRONZE, Dallas, Texas

I think that some of you need to get out of your little fantasy world where America is always right and amazing. Sure, we have a good Constitution; I'm not arguing with that. A lot of countries have it worse. But we are the variable in the equation that equals global warming.

A + cites + oil= pollution and global warming

A=America

And it wouldn't be as bad if people cared. But most of them don't, and if they do, a lot of them don't do anything. I'm not complaining about the government, I'm complaining about the pollution and oil use and NOT CARING.

I'm not just blaming America either. But America plays a large role in it. I don't care what country it is, if people don't care about what they're doing to the earth for their own selfish need, it's gonna tick me off. I do stuff to help the Earth, and it really bothers me when:

No. One. CARES.

Hmmmmmm said...
Honey, people do not DIE trying to get in to China or Russia. People have died trying to get into the U.S. That's because we are the first country to have our Constitution begin with "We The People of the United States." That means, the government does not rule us, they did not give us the rights, so they do not have the right to take those rights away from us unjustfully. Get the picture?