Should Rapists be Released from Prison? | Teen Ink

Should Rapists be Released from Prison?

By Inherinerd GOLD, Ashland, Ohio
Inherinerd GOLD, Ashland, Ohio

A word to the wise ain't nessecary it's the stupid ones that need the advise

A young girl walks by herself, maybe accompanied by a friend or two, chatting as they walk to the movies. The girl thinks she might hear the slightest of footsteps behind them, but brushes the idea off as being over imaginative. Suddenly though, she is attacked by a man she does not even know. Struggling is useless, and she is held down, raped and either murdered or left for dead. Somewhere else, there is a girl cowering in her room, a place that should have been a safe and welcoming haven when she hears the door creak open. She begins to tremble because she knows what's coming. She knows that it is her father, coming for his daily dose of rape and abuse. As the man inches forward she suppresses the tears fighting to run down her cheeks. She cannot yell out in terror, cry quietly, or even whimper. She cannot let anyone hear. If someone hears it will all be for nothing. She can't let anyone know, if she tells she knows he will hurt her family, and most likely her. He had made it a point to let her know that. So, she endures what she believes she must in silence, all alone, with nobody but the very man causing her pain to comfort her. She endures it for years upon years. When the man is caught, if he is caught, he is put in prison for an average of 123 days to 5.4 years, although 21% of convicted rapists never even go to prison. Most likely, the predator will still be alive by then, and then is free to do whatever he/she wishes. I believe that rapists should remain in prison for the duration of their lives.

Possibly the largest reason to keep the predator in prison is to keep him/her from doing it again. Studies show that nearly half of the rapists released from prison are caught raping again, implying that even more do but aren't caught. Some argue that people can change, but if that large percent of rapist do it again how are we to determine which ones can change and which ones can't? Anyone can lie and say they've changed, but do you want to be the person to determine the life of his next victim just because you believe that they have changed?

Also, the release of the rapist is a danger to the victim and family. Revenge, as many of us know, is a strong feeling, and can drive many to do stupid things. Imagine if the rapist were to want revenge, and hunted down the family. This could be potentially fatal for the family and really is not a risk I would think should be taken. Why give the predator a chance to ruin the lives of the family even farther?

The third and final reason I believe rapists should not be released from prison is the fear in the surrounding community. It is frightening, in this day and age, to just walk down your street. Within one mile of my house, there are 19 sexual predators. Now, we take lengths to avoid the houses of said individuals, frightened to walk on the same side of the street as their house. We no longer have the freedom to walk around as we once did. I believe this is very wrong and should be rectified.

Given these reasons, although there are definitely more, I ask you to reflect upon my idea. I ask you to consider that rapists should not be released from prison, for the safety of individuals, and the whole community.

TomChen said...
Some people are actually raped, while others are not... those that are actually raped, should have the peace of mind knowing that the trash that sexually assaulted them should NOT be released able to do it again. You tend to find a large number of Caucasian males are statistically rapist more so than African Americans, so if you look closely at the prison time they are sentenced, you will noticed that someone selling drugs to a willing recipient will do more time than someone that has brutally raped someone. Since the sentencing is stereotypical, you will find unfair sentencing happen this way, and you will find people out there trying to push laws that would allow them to sleep with children, and people like Todd Akin trying to push bills that allow Rapist to get off with no jail time if their victims end up pregnant (because he thinks the female body will not accept sperm from a rapist). Republican Paul Ryan who is running for Vice President with Mitt Romney, also endorsed the bill, but it was "declined" (thank God). Why is there so much attention around trying to get rapist lighter sentences or no jail time at all? Because there are people with bias out there who might have a similar mentality, but they do not want to get in trouble for it, so they do all that they can to try and get the law on their side as wealthy Caucasian men with power and connections, they are hopeful that it can add to the number of things they can legally enjoy. Its not all Caucasian men, and its not all men, but for the ones that stand behind this stuff, you really have to watch them, ask them why are they approving of something so sick. There was an Caucasian American college professor caught in Asia where girls ages 4 to 7 are forced to prostitute, and he couldn't be arrested because we have no authority in other countries. This is a person teaching students and he was in a place geared towards sleeping with kids that were barely old enough or not able to even go to elementary school. Is that what money allows certain people to do? Indulge in sick fantasies in countries where there would be no consequences? Since there is a stereotype though "White is good, Black is bad", its not a big deal to some people until they or someone they love end up victims. I warn everyone, don't become a victim because of ignorant prejudice. If you think someone is good because of their race, you may be tricking yourself right into the hands of someone dangerous. They target people weaker than they are usually, and it doesn't matter if you are male or female, trust me on that one. Also some times they use other people to deceive you, like the girlfriends/wives/friends of certain men will lure other girls/children into the trap which can be rape, abduction, both, etc. Everyone needs to be safe, don't send your children outside to play alone, don't allow your kids to walk back and forth from school alone, especially long walks because some of these sickos observe patterns. A man tried to snatch my sister one the second day we weren't able to meet her at the bus stop, and that was only two days, but all it takes is a few seconds for disaster to strike. If you can't protect your children, and would rather not supervise your child, don't have any children for their sake.

sweetly_broken GOLD, Garner, North Carolina

We never know how big we are until we are asked to rise.

Amen! this is a very well written and persuasive article. i wrote an article on ra.pe kit backlog called "The Nightmare" would you check it out if you get a chance??

Inherinerd GOLD, Ashland, Ohio

Thank you!! I wanted to write about something important. My sister was raped by our stepdad from when she was 6 to when she was twelve.

a.m.f BRONZE said...
a.m.f BRONZE, Gainesville, Florida

"God never shuts a door unless he opens another."

Rapists should not be released from prisons! The reason why they are is because it's expensive to keep them locked up and jails/prisons are becoming more and more overcrowded.  I say stuff them in the cells; jail isn't meant to be comfortable! And if food costs is the issue; give them even nastier food than they're already recieving! It's jail, not a spa; they can deal with it!  Rapists are as low as it gets! If they want to get with someone, they don't have to do it by raping!! It's sick and wrong, and they should be punished and convicted for life!

I really like your writing, too!  I like how you started it out with those two stories; it gave your writing a little twang.  I noticed you did the same thing with the last piece of yours I read.  The beginning stories really do make a difference in the charm of writing. :)

a.m.f BRONZE said...
a.m.f BRONZE, Gainesville, Florida

This really makes me think.  First of all, your writing was amazing; the two stories at the beginning made this piece very interesting.  Second, i agree with you 100%.  Rapists should not be let out of prision; I think they should be convicted for life.  Each state lets people out early or doesn't convict them because of lack of space.  It's ridiculous.  Maybe the state should just higher taxes if it's going to keep the public safe.  Yes, tax raise would be a pain, but if it's going to save a life or save someone from being raped, I say do it.  Or better yet, make the prisons crowded.  Stuff people in there.  Prisoners aren't locked up to be comfortable, so they can deal with being shouler to shoulder with others.  If they're going to commit a crime, there's going to be consequences...at least there should be but the U.S law is getting easier and easier to work around.  They need to toughen it up a bit so people will stop breaking it and stop believing they can get away with everything...

OfficialApprover PLATINUM, Orefield, Pennsylvania

Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
We cannot change the cards we're dealt just how we play the hand
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted
It's pretty easy to be smart when you're parroting smart people
-Randy Pausch

I wholeheartedly agree with you(yeah, that's a weird word isn't it?).  Rapists should rot in jail for the rest of their lives because of the crimes they've committed, and for the safety of others.  You wrote this very well, excellent use of words, great style, very convincing.

on Jun. 23 2010 at 11:24 am
LegacyPen BRONZE, Hudson, Massachusetts

(my continued bio) Infinity, or Destiny of Infinity on here, is a total of 82,860 word count. I am in the editing process.

Yeah, I totally agree with you here! I love how you start this essay off with a story. That is always good! Interesting topic here. Your indirect connection to this topic also boosts the interest of us readers. Great work! The only thing I have against this is that the first paragraph is really long, hence harder to read.

on Jun. 23 2010 at 7:44 am
Caitlyn_ilovesoftball GOLD, Douds, Iowa

"Hello Cat-i-lynn Mill-ard-o," -friends
"Stop saying that!! My name ain't Cat-i-lynn Mill-ard-o!!" -Me
"Okay, fine, Hello Cat."-friends
(GRRRRR)
----Also----
"You a turtle on steroids!"-friends
"Hahaha, I know" -ME

I agree, or have them go under intensive survailnce for bout 5 yrs after like a ten yeaer release.  Without them knowin of corse.  I hate the idea of rape!!! hate it@