Scary observation | Teen Ink

Scary observation

By k@t!eB@by BRONZE, Ringgold, Georgia
k@t!eB@by BRONZE, Ringgold, Georgia

" It must be nice knowing how to make me cry without even saying a word" -?

This week my Mom and I went to Atlanta. Most everyone knows the South, espically Georgia, is populous with African-Americans and Whites. While down there, I saw four different kinds of Racism/Sexism:White<->Black,Black<->Black,White<->White, and Women<-> Men. 1-
I saw some white people look apon blacks with hate. This is normal for what I see. What comes next is not.
2- I saw a group of Black people who were very classy, then a group that was "hood". The classy ones were talking down about the "hoods". I had never heard Black people bash each other before.
3- I'm guilty of this. I wittnessed upper-class and muddle-class whites and some lower-class white people. Both my Mom and I cut eyes at the lower-class and wouldn't go near them. I feel horrible now that I relize what I said and did.
4- This is the strangest. That day in Atlanta, I saw most discrimination between men and women, not matter what race. Seeing men disrespect women and vice versa was odd to me. On the way home, however, I relized Sexism has been around much longer than Racism. It starts with "Boys only clubs" in Elementary school and grow to disrespect at an older age.
I wrote this because at the time I was confused about what I was seeing. I know now what I saw has been around siince the beginning of time.

In writing this, I meant no harm or disrespect to anyone. I am not racist. If anyone took any offense to this I am deeply sincerely sorry.

. said...
It's so scary once you start paying attention, even little sayings like "I lost to a girl." are horrible once you realize that people are unkowningly teaching there kids that boys are better than girls, though it also does go vice versa

Thinker PLATINUM, Na, Connecticut

A wise word does not make the speaker wise.

People are so afraid that they won't be the most powerful people they know, they fail to admit the truth, no one is powerful without another to have power over. If you think that is bad you should read Aristotals "Politicia", he's nuts, he believe the world should be this way.

melodeess GOLD said...
melodeess GOLD, Edison, New Jersey
interesting! it was nice to read your thoughts on this topic!