Reasons to Respect the LGBTQ Community | Teen Ink

Reasons to Respect the LGBTQ Community

December 11, 2017
By Anonymous

One issue that we face here in the United States is people being disrespectful to the LGBTQ community. People call them “sinners” or “disgusting.” Gays should not be discriminated against. They are regular people that should be respected and treated just like others. Gays do not intend to harm or bother others, but people really act like they do.

The LGBTQ community already goes through plenty struggles just by being gay. They do not need society criticizing them. It just adds on to the struggles and obstacles they face. A lot LGBTQ members are just looking for acceptance. Being discriminated will worsen their situation and will eventually just drop their self-esteem. That can all lead to depression, and no one wants that.

A major conflict that the LGBTQ has to face is religion. A lot of religious people totally despise gays or believe that being gay is against God. Some really religious people assume the whole LGBTQ community is filled with people who are against God, just because they like the same gender (or more than one.) It is very good to take religious beliefs and faith seriously, but it’s very bad to be judging others. Sometimes, religious families have kids that are born gay, but they have no choice but to accept their children the way they are. Parents need to support their children, in whatever they do, and whatever they want to be.

The LGBTQ community is full of innocent people that do not mean to harm others. Gay people are just people that fall in love with the same gender. Yet, they are being killed. On June 12, 2016, fifty people were killed by a shooter at a gay night club. This is an intolerable issue that should not be happening. The shooter killed 50 innocent people, just because they were gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender etc. They all just wanted to have a good time with their partners and friends. They did not harm anybody. Yet someone harmed them.

Nowadays, everyone wants and should be happy. But some people want to prohibit gays from being happy. A couple years ago, gay marriage was legalized. It was very considerate to legalize gay marriage. Gay people deserve to be happy with their partner too, not just people who marry the opposite gender. A lot of people up to this day, still make a too of a big deal about gay marriage. They say it is against God, but everyone needs to keep their beliefs to themselves.

This may be the biggest obstacle that the LGBTQ community faces: bullying. This is mostly younger people that are still in high school, middle school, maybe even elementary school. Bullies call them bad terms like “fag” and are just really disrespectful towards any kid in the LGBTQ community.

A lot of the times, young people may not even have decided their own opinion on the LGBTQ community. Parents raise their children and brainwash them to assume that gay people are bad, and to never be gay. Therefore, they think that being gay is a terrible thing to be. All this leads to bullying, mainly at school, and bullying others will eventually have a negative impact on the people that are being bullied.


No one knows what anyone is going through at their home, with their family, what condition they live in, whether they have something to eat everyday or not. Bullying makes their whole entire life worse. No one knows what bullying may do to someone. Someone may already have an extremely low self-esteem, and bullying may just push them over the edge. And being gay is a huge struggle. Suicide rates are higher in gay kids than in straight kids. It is not surprising. A lot of the LGBTQ community wakes up, struggling every single day, just because they have to face society and their discrimination against the LGBTQ community.

“When someone isn’t ready we must not try and force them out. People are being bullied and committing suicide because they’re gay, and it’s horrible.” Ricky Martin.

Nobody can completely comprehend the struggles LGBTQ community goes through. Bullies should put themselves in the shoes of the LGBTQ community. The people who discriminate and bully people in the LGBTQ community would hate to be bullied and to be discriminated by others. Discrimination against gays may never end, but society should not treat them as if they are not human, or as if they bad people. Little children see all of this too, therefore, they think it is right to disrespect them, bully them and make fun of them. That is what contributes to the LGBTQ community feeling rejected, left out, and unloved. No one should discriminate.

 

Everyone should have respect towards them. The future generations will also consist of people in the LGBTQ community. If children grow up thinking that being gay is not okay they’ll be unsatisfied with themselves and will probably be depressed for years. Society has got begin respecting them. Because after all, everyone is a human.