WHY SCIENCE IS MAKING LIFE BORING... | Teen Ink

WHY SCIENCE IS MAKING LIFE BORING...

By OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other
OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other

You should try everything in life, except incest and barn-dancing.

I’m sorry to say it, but scrolling through this category makes me a little ashamed of being a teenager.

By the looks of things, most of us are intent on gabbling on about the news that (shock-horror) smoking, drinking and drugs can shorten your life-span. As if we haven’t been told enough already. Now, I’m not advocating a life that revolves around the next fix, cig, or flagon - but let’s at least enjoy ourselves. Without these three deadly sins, where would we be?

Where would art, music and our beloved literature be without drugs? How could the artist, musician or novelist survive without the odd hasty cigarette clenched between their troubled lips? Where would the weekends of stumbling, spewing and stupidity be without the litres of white cider and mysterious mixed spirits?

If we are all as clever as we would like to think, why is it that we still torture our bodies with these fatal excesses?

The answer is fun - doing stuff for the pure hell of it - it’s supposed to be what we (teenagers) live for. Now is the time to feast on rebellion, however petty, and believe ourselves to be invincible. So why waste it preaching to the unconvertible, when there’s plenty of sensible heads on aging shoulders to do that for us?

Let’s stop patronising each other, and just enjoy surviving. After all, good health is merely the slowest rate at which we can die!

I know bad ratings are going to be inevitable (if anyone even reads this) but I hope that if you actually do give it a glance, you'll be able to see where I'm coming from. I understand the terrible affects that drink and drugs can have on our lives - but let's not forget the unforgettable and inspirational moments that they can provide...

OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other

Thanks for the comment! I like to think them more of an aid than an excuse though!

Electricity PLATINUM, Bradenton, Florida
This is certainly a different point of view. I understand your opinion, and I see where you're coming from. And, yes, some "creative" people do certain things with "drugs" to get those creative juices flowing. However, "creativity" shouldn't be an excuse to smoking or drinking, or any other drugs. I like your opinion- it's different! Great job!

dragonfan SILVER, Arcidia, Indiana

"Death truly makes an artist"

your welcome =) i hope people arent mean about what u wrote =0 Again ur a great writer

OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other

Thank you very much and don't worry, I wasn't really expecting many people to like it! Again, cheers for the comment.

dragonfan SILVER, Arcidia, Indiana

"Death truly makes an artist"

I get where your comming from and i under stand what your saying but most people probly wont and will prob dissagree with you but i think this is a good artical keep it up!