WHY SCIENCE IS MAKING LIFE BORING... | Teen Ink

WHY SCIENCE IS MAKING LIFE BORING...

By OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other
OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other

You should try everything in life, except incest and barn-dancing.

I’m sorry to say it, but scrolling through this category makes me a little ashamed of being a teenager.

By the looks of things, most of us are intent on gabbling on about the news that (shock-horror) smoking, drinking and drugs can shorten your life-span. As if we haven’t been told enough already. Now, I’m not advocating a life that revolves around the next fix, cig, or flagon - but let’s at least enjoy ourselves. Without these three deadly sins, where would we be?

Where would art, music and our beloved literature be without drugs? How could the artist, musician or novelist survive without the odd hasty cigarette clenched between their troubled lips? Where would the weekends of stumbling, spewing and stupidity be without the litres of white cider and mysterious mixed spirits?

If we are all as clever as we would like to think, why is it that we still torture our bodies with these fatal excesses?

The answer is fun - doing stuff for the pure hell of it - it’s supposed to be what we (teenagers) live for. Now is the time to feast on rebellion, however petty, and believe ourselves to be invincible. So why waste it preaching to the unconvertible, when there’s plenty of sensible heads on aging shoulders to do that for us?

Let’s stop patronising each other, and just enjoy surviving. After all, good health is merely the slowest rate at which we can die!

I know bad ratings are going to be inevitable (if anyone even reads this) but I hope that if you actually do give it a glance, you'll be able to see where I'm coming from. I understand the terrible affects that drink and drugs can have on our lives - but let's not forget the unforgettable and inspirational moments that they can provide...

isabel18 said...

Say what you like but I disagree.

Without all that junk in our life we would be closer to the Lord. Whe would not go to a bottle or drugs to feel better, we would be reading the Bible or praying, we would go to him.

Smoking... DRugs... Alcohol... hmmm lets think....

All bad for you!

Sorry to put you down, but as you are a teenager, you are a lottle lacking in wisdom, and that is why our elders will try to show a little wisdom, and try to prevent you from ruining your life by smoking drinking and so on.

As for the artistic part, I still find your opinon based on your lack of good judgement. Okay, um.. how to put this nicely?

Well for a start, music would be reflecting the peace you find in the Lord, the  love you feel in his prescense, you would hear pure clean music. That does not mean that I am only into praise music, far from the truth...

TheProphet was saying how artists would look incomplete without some sort of addiction.. well as for that soooooooooooo untrue!

Maybe just to you, but.. who knows maybe your a little on the weird side...

Artists would have a clean look to them. Insteda of being some drunks writing music while their loony, they could write a good song in their right mind.

Oh well, if you don't understyand this, i pity u.

Poorly written article. But practice makes perfect! Keep trying......HOPEFULLY one day you'll get there. The article needs to have  a little more thought in it.

Sorry..... but that is just me...blunt.. to the point..... truthful.

ryanmac GOLD said...
ryanmac GOLD, Billerica, Massachusetts

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out
Till my legs give out, cant shut my mouth.
Till the smoke clears out and my high burn out
Ima rip this shit till my bone collapse.

hey....drugs have been in culture forever...it has so many effects that we dont even know about cause we dont know who did what. but hey it has lead to some great music and many artists where influenced by such drugs as cocain and opium way back in time

ryanmac GOLD said...
ryanmac GOLD, Billerica, Massachusetts

amen i completely agree. people make too big of a deal about it. like we all know its bad for you...give it a damn rest right?

in my mind it should be a choice to do it or not. if you want to do it...then do it

DallysGrrl PLATINUM, Middlesex, New Jersey
I am not going to criticize your opinions. I hate when people do that 2 me n im not gonna be a hypocrite so im not gonna say that your wrong, even if i dont agree with you. now, from a writers point of view, i just wanna say that your points should maybe be a little more developed and complex and strong. you have the basis for a good article here. pretty good job. :)

lunar_moon BRONZE, Austin, Texas

"If you think you can you can, and if you think you can't, you're right." -Mary Kay Ash

I am not going to give any more reasons, but I was not chewing this writer out. I was merely stating my opinion. Also I see what you mean about the smoking thing, I was saying things mostly about alchoholism.

I will leave it at this, and you should too, I must admit that I sometimes agree with the writer when he said this: "So why waste it preaching to the unconvertable..."

riddimmaster BRONZE, Boise, Idaho
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"Well I try to get up every day." -Jimi Hendrix

Sweet! Pro drugs for a change!

wildcat DIAMOND, Hopkinton, Massachusetts

the only reason why it would kill brain cells is because you hold your breath when you smoke... that would do justas much damage as if someone holds their breath in when they have hiccups.... or even swimming under water for a long time. so, that's not a fair argument.

and leave this poor person alone this section is "opions" so allow the consistutional right of freedom of speech. don't chew them out for stating an opion. if you disagree state why but see that you don't always have to agree on everything. theres always two sides to an argument and you can both be right.

their not saying "teens the only way to have fun is these things" the writer is more so saying if your going to try them try them but don't allow them to run your lives be smart about it. we can't tell you what to do so now the risks that'll you'll be facing and if your still going to try them don't do them for bad reasons.

the rebel card is a fair card to play because they may think that's what they're doing you don't know their reasons for doing it... in stead of yellling at the writer focus on the people who do it with in your town and do something about it if it's truelly what you feel...

we all have our reasons and opions allow people to voice them and at least try to see a different veiw point even if you dont agree with it.

EmoToboe BRONZE, Kemp, Texas

When you've lost it all.......That's when you finally realize.....That life is BEAUTIFUL

alcoholism, I mean. alcoholism runs in my family. I'm not sayin alcoholism automatically forces you to be abusive, it's just a chance I'd rather not take

EmoToboe BRONZE, Kemp, Texas

I sorta agree with you.

Although I'm determined to stay clear of alcohol, at least if I plan to settle down if I have kids, because alchohol runs in my family. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I abuse my wife. I don''t think that we should judge other's opinions. It's up to you if you want to drink or smoke/inhale/inject/ingest, it's not my decision to make for anyone else

EmoToboe BRONZE, Kemp, Texas

How can you prove that any of the great minds of the Renaissance didn't do drugs, they've been dead for what, 600 years, I doubt there is no proof as to whether Galileo did drugs or not. Just curious.

A-Lovely-Curiosity, Indain Trail, North Carolina

"If we couldn't laugh, We'd all go insane!"

~Jimmy Buffet

Exactly! Finally someone gets it!

OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other

Just because Galileo didn’t do drugs, doesn’t mean that other great artists haven’t.

Suggesting that only rockers and metal-heads are influenced by drugs is just plain wrong: Reggae, Ska, Punk (though not straight-edge), Experimental rock (which, along with metal-core is lame), jazz, hip-hop etc. etc. etc. Once again I’m forced to explain that I’m not necessarily promoting the use of drugs, just pointing out that they are an intrinsic part of the creative process. If the bands you like don’t use drugs, I don’t care.

“The only great writer to use drugs was Edgar Allen Poe.” Kerouac is a favourite of mine, and he used drugs. As did thousands of others.

“Most kids do drugs and drink nowadays so doing them isn't rebellious at all” You seem to see rebellion as worthless is everyone does it, so where are you putting the value: in having fun with your mates or just trying to be different?

The main point of this article was to voice my annoyance at people like you who are so self-righteous that they believe that just because they don’t see anything in drinking or taking drugs means that everyone who does is wrong to do so.

Gatorpoet SILVER, Tavares, Florida
Serioulsy? You think drinking and drugs should be promoted to teens? and your reasoning is weak. "where would art, music and our beloved literature be without drugs?" Well for a start, the greatest artist ever, also known as the rennaisaince man, Galileo didn't do drugs, so i can disprove that one. If you're into classic rock or lame hardcore metal then yea drugs are an influence, but the other types of genres are rarley influenced so disproved that one. and last but not least literature? ha the only great writer to be a druggie was Edgar Allen Poe and he eventually died from it, so great point again bud. Also, you try to play the "rebel" card. Most kids do do drugs and drink now adays so doing them isn't rebellious at all. Why waste a way doing drugs so you can be "Cool" or have "fun." Be the real rebel and dont do that stuff, be cool enough to have fun with out it.

lunar_moon BRONZE, Austin, Texas

Well, you have made a very good point, but once again, these are teenagers. Young adults who are still growing and need to be healthy, and smoking and drinking is not going to make that happen.

OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other

I think that it's discouraged for a little more than the destruction of brain cells!

Why choose between one or the other, we need both. Moreover, alcoholism is a very common side-effect of politics!

lunar_moon BRONZE, Austin, Texas

The reason that people discourage the use of drugs, especially in teenagers, is that they destroy brain cells.

I so see your point, but why chose a future famous artist when we could chose a great leader of a country?

Jordan901278 BRONZE, Long Pond, Pennsylvania

"Moloch! Burns down the love of the world." - Allen Ginsberg

you do have a very eccentric point of view and i agree to a pretty large extent, but you make it seem as if now is the time for us to run out and kill ourselves cause we're teenagers. True, drugs and all of these terrible things that teenagers these days combat due to health class have had an unimaginable influence on the arts, but i don't think that justifies becoming an alcoholic or a cocaine addict or smoking cancer sticks. I do agree, the DARE organization and health classes have for the most part turned teenagers into paranoid frightened puppies, but as much as it pains me to say, they do have a point. However i am about the legalization of drugs. The Man is not our mother, if we want to go and overdose on meth that's our own stupid fault isn't it? Hopefully we'd be smart enough not to. All criminilizing drugs does is fund huge drug cartels and illegal crime lords

AnneOnnimous BRONZE, Peterborough Ontario, Other

"Saying 'I notice you're a nerd' is like saying, 'Hey, I notice that you'd rather be intelligent than be stupid, that you'd rather be thoughtful than be vapid, that you believe that there are things that matter more than the arrest record of Lindsay Lohan. Why is that?' In fact, it seems to me that most contemporary insults are pretty lame. Even 'lame' is kind of lame. Saying 'You're lame' is like saying 'You walk with a limp.' Yeah, whatever, so does 50 Cent, and he's done all right for himself."
— John Green

You say "..and believe ourselves invincible. So why waste it preaching to the unconvertible, when there's plenty of sensible heads on aging shoulders to do that for us?"

Well, we can't just go around doing whatever we wanted. Imagine what would hapopen if we did. Half the population would die because of drunk drivers. Most teens would use ridiculous amounts of drugs and alcohol, and hurt their brains and bodies.Children would have teenagers as their role models and ruin their lives as well. As you can see, the world would be a huge mess if teenagers could just use drugs and alcohol whenever and however they wanted to.

toxic.monkey SILVER, Tashkent, Other

"Homo homini lupus"

it's a good argument and i sort of agree with you, but I just think that we all should be allowed to live the way we want without others trying to convert us to their form of living.

softly_sleeping BRONZE, Mt. Wolf, Pennsylvania
1 article 1 photo 13 comments

I'm trying to find myself as a person, sometimes that's not easy to do. Millions of people live their entire lives without finding themselves. But it is something I must do. -Marilyn Monroe

WOW! This article is truly brilliant! I must admit that I am surprised to find someone with an oppinion like this, but it provides a new way to look at the situation of teens abusing illegal substances. Also, it's very well written :)