WHY SCIENCE IS MAKING LIFE BORING... | Teen Ink

WHY SCIENCE IS MAKING LIFE BORING...

By OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other
OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other

You should try everything in life, except incest and barn-dancing.

I’m sorry to say it, but scrolling through this category makes me a little ashamed of being a teenager.

By the looks of things, most of us are intent on gabbling on about the news that (shock-horror) smoking, drinking and drugs can shorten your life-span. As if we haven’t been told enough already. Now, I’m not advocating a life that revolves around the next fix, cig, or flagon - but let’s at least enjoy ourselves. Without these three deadly sins, where would we be?

Where would art, music and our beloved literature be without drugs? How could the artist, musician or novelist survive without the odd hasty cigarette clenched between their troubled lips? Where would the weekends of stumbling, spewing and stupidity be without the litres of white cider and mysterious mixed spirits?

If we are all as clever as we would like to think, why is it that we still torture our bodies with these fatal excesses?

The answer is fun - doing stuff for the pure hell of it - it’s supposed to be what we (teenagers) live for. Now is the time to feast on rebellion, however petty, and believe ourselves to be invincible. So why waste it preaching to the unconvertible, when there’s plenty of sensible heads on aging shoulders to do that for us?

Let’s stop patronising each other, and just enjoy surviving. After all, good health is merely the slowest rate at which we can die!

I know bad ratings are going to be inevitable (if anyone even reads this) but I hope that if you actually do give it a glance, you'll be able to see where I'm coming from. I understand the terrible affects that drink and drugs can have on our lives - but let's not forget the unforgettable and inspirational moments that they can provide...

artist22 SILVER, Cranford, New Jersey
I totally understand your point of view, as I know tons of teens that will agree with you. Just about everyone dabbles in these vices. I'm one of the rare exceptions who hasn't, but I respect what you have to say and it's true that trying to brainwash kids about drugs and alcohol doesn't stop them when they become teens. I just hope that all teens out there are responsible though, because these vices are of course very dangerous and we all know teens who have died from drug/alcohol related accidents. Please just stay smart and know your limits! 

allisonl97 BRONZE, =), Wisconsin

I dont really have a fav quote

i completely agree with you

allisonl97 BRONZE, =), Wisconsin

I dont really have a fav quote

this was well written...but i completely disagree. teachers/parents/our elders say this stuff to warn us...i mean they have to say it just to try to get the point across...and if you really want to waste away your life puffing a cigarette or doing drugs or something then im surprised you havent been taken by natural selection already.

Amiee said...
i second this

Meago GOLD said...
Meago GOLD, Spring City, Tennessee

How come when you need something the most- that's the time when you have to fight the hardest to receive it?

Ok. I don't quite know what to say... I half way understand where you're coming from. But, at the same time- What the crap? One of my friends was drinking "for the pure hell of it" and got in a car drunk.. because he felt he could do anything and survive. He died that night... because he didn't listen. And what if he wrecked into another car and killed some little child's mommy?

I agree we all need our 'stupid' moments, but being a druggie is no way to live. I think that a night on the town every now and then is fine-as long as your not driving. There just has to be a happy medium.

skywalker-22 said...
skywalker-22, Spokane Valley, Washington

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no effect on society."--Mark Twain

I completely agree with this. Whats the point in continually telling people that these things are bad, when people are going to do them anyway? No one has ever cared before if a cigarette is hazardous to their health, so why would they care now? Let people make their own decisions and live their own lives. Its their right as human beings.

JeremyHerbert PLATINUM, Fairview Park, Ohio

I agree in the general sense that we all need a vice or two.

It's what keeps us sane, it's what keeps us creative.

DaydreamBeliever GOLD, Lockport, Other

If you live to be one hundred, I want to live to be one hundred minus one day, so that I'll never have to live without you. -Winnie the Pooh

i agree with you. everything is okay in moderation. that would be a hard thing for schools to teach though, because at our age most people just dont know when to stop.

DaydreamBeliever GOLD, Lockport, Other

i agree that we should be enjoying our lives as much as we can, but there are other ways to do it. what enjoyment will someone get from a cigarette? none, unless leathery, wrinkly skin, yellow teeth and cancer are fun. alcohol and other drugs will cause other health problems. how much will you be enjoying your life when you're in the hospital dying of liver failure?

Mickee BRONZE said...
Mickee BRONZE, Yorktown Heights, New York

Erica Albright (Rooney Mara): "You are going to go through life thinking that girls don't like you because you're a nerd. And I want you to know from the bottom of my heart that that won't be true. It'll be because you're an asshole."

Mark Zuckerberg: "I think if your clients want to sit on my shoulders and call themselves tall, they have the right to give it a try, but there's no requirement that I enjoy sitting here listening to people lie. You have part of my attention - you have the minimum amount. The rest of my attention is back at the offices of Facebook, where my colleagues and I are doing things that no one in this room, including and especially your clients, are intellectually or creatively capable of doing. Did I adequately answer your condescending question?

"You're not the same as you were before, You were much more...muchier...you've lost your muchness."
I feel like I just found out my favorite love song was written about a sandwich.

i agree with you

Adonis said...
Adonis,
uh, that's why it's called 'comments/feedback' and not 'feedback'

chocolatkiss1013 SILVER, New York, New York

But paradise is locked and bolted, we must make a journey around the world to see if a backdoor has perhaps been left open

I agree completely finally a mind who agrees.... why act older than we are? we are teenagers so y try to take on unnecissary responsiblity? as long as we have our act together why should we worry about something that has enough people worrying about it? 

Lilliterra said...

I think this is just the irresponsible attitude that is rampant among teens and ought to stop.

Drugs/alcohol/whatever might provide a temporary escape from your troubles, but this is, as I said, temporary. What happens when you get off it? You want more. And so you do it again. And again. And you're enslaved. And yes, it can kill you.

brookedawson101 BRONZE, Hoofddorp, Other
I totally agree with you...anything in excess is bad, but I for one will not feel guilty being a teenager who occasionally drinks on the weekends. (No, I never get drunk.) I'm sick of everyone making us all feel guilty, guilty, guilty for all our human little weaknesses.

hopelesssharpie BRONZE, Srghsfgjd, Virginia

"Truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction must make sense." -Mark Twain.
"I'm not crazy, my reality is simply different than yours."
"I'd rather be hated for who I am than be loved for who I'm not."

dude i know your just voicing your opinion and i get it but you really didnt relate at all to the quality of the articale

Abidah BRONZE said...
Abidah BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
I disagree. Most smart people don't need drugs to find satisfaction. Some people create unique work by getting high, but those are the people who could not do so without the drugs. A truly intelligent person does his or her work with a clear mind.

fahreekin-crazy BRONZE, Sharon, Massachusetts
But he wasn't saying to drive while high or drunk or anything. To do so would be irresponsible and deadly. This article is for the teen on the couch, trying pot and laughing and eating chocolate cake.  Not saying I agree totally-- for me weed became something I needed to cope with everyday life. I urge everyone that wants to try drugs or alchohol to be fully secure with their other coping skills. Wh-hoo! :D

Abidah BRONZE said...
Abidah BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana

To be honest, I've always been of the opinion that drugs and alcohol dampen the fun you can have. I think having control over what you're doing and being able to remember it clearly actually enhances your experience. Plus, it's not really rebellion when everyone is doing it. Where I'm from, you're a rebel if you turn down something.  You don't do things for the hell of it; you do it because it's expected. It's what normal kids do.

If you've read any Stephen King, his absolute worst work came from the times that he was out of his brain on coke. Hemingway was a well-known drunk, but he always wrote sober. I've always wondered what greatness would have come from those who were already great but corrupted their work. On the Road was wonderfully innovative at the time, but it's been done. I'm ready for something fresh.

WordSmith BRONZE, Sydney, Other

"The price of freedom is eternall vigilance."

Good work man, a controversial yet validated argument. Well written and well said.

toxic.monkey SILVER, Tashkent, Other

"Homo homini lupus"

Some of you people need to lighten up. Everyone can have their own opinion and you don't need to put anyone down for thinking their own way. As for me, i've just kind of figured that we are flooded with information about how bad all drugs are for the human body, but people still drink, smoke, and even do the serious drugs. I'm okay with people smoking cigarettes, shisha, pot, as well as I'm fine with alcohol as long as it's not abused. The hard thing with drugs, though, is knowing when you're abusing. That's what schools should teach.