He's a Family Guy | Teen Ink

He's a Family Guy

By wordlvr94 PLATINUM, El Dorado Hills, California
wordlvr94 PLATINUM, El Dorado Hills, California

"All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players" - William Shakespeare

Soul searching. It’s a term often used to describe one’s longing to find their “true self”. We are as much a social creature as we are an individual entity. We use our own personal skills to develop in our society and fit in where our niche allows us to. Discovering all our possibilities requires us at a young age to take risks and follow paths that, more often than not, lead to failure. Watching questionable TV shows and determining their affect on us on both a superficial and spiritual level is part of our journey from seed to fruit. What I’m asking of you is not to change your morals and ethics, but merely to consider my point of view.

It’s our laughter that sets us apart from the beasts when you boil everything down. A playfulness and understanding between reality and make-believe that allows us to form opinions and encourage the blossoming of our imaginations. Of course what is appealing to some might not be as amusing to others; especially when it comes to generational gaps. Teenagers in particular have been sought out and pigeon-holed into a tasteless irresponsible bunch that is only looking for the thrill of the moment. But this is a stereotype that is both unjust and entirely false. Personally, a believe I’m at an age to make a desertion between what I find entertaining in the media and what I will use to incorporate in my own behavior. Is this not any different than the violent video games children across the world splurge on every day? At sixteen my brain is able to note the difference between a humorous, and frankly harmless, television show and human behavior in real life. If it isn’t affecting my grades, nor social skills why isn’t it appropriate?

The quote at the top of the paper has the ere of biblical resonance attached to it. We are imperfect creatures and, as it says in the bible, are flawed before our immortal and infallible creator. We all make mistakes day to day; some consciously and others with complete unawareness. Family Guy merely mocks what are normally mundane activities and makes a satire out of the average family’s life. Satires have been popular to both lighten the mood and point out political faux paws since Shakespeare’s time. This is just an easily accessible highly entertaining version of what some people consider masterpieces of journalistic origin.

And now I plead with you to walk a mile with another’s intentions at hand. Have you ever actually sat down to watch a full episode of family guy? Have you considered the references to daily events that have taken place not only in our country, but around the world? The mockery of politics and the general public’s reaction to it are some of the topics covered in current Family Guy episodes. Although I will admit some of the humor can turn raunchy and crude at times, it isn’t without merit. The colloquial styles utilized in the show are perspectives I personally take into account when writing. It’s a view point that connects with a plethora of interests and age groups and wraps up things in a neat 30 minute block. If only for the experience, I implore you to think further into this decision.

So to be fair, it isn’t a question of ethics, but an assertion of laughter and comedy. The propaganda of the media that I endure every day is far more influential than a TV show that airs once a week. And I have to admit I’m slightly offended if you deem my mental filtering incapable of dealing with the pitfalls of Family Guy. I ask for your trust to bring my exposure to every part of the world to a level that gives me both experience and insight.

Readerromp said...
Insight you have. Experience you will gain. Don't feel controlled, feel protected. It's easy to create humor through crudeness, but it's better when constructed with wit.