The Media's Fault? I Think Not | Teen Ink

The Media's Fault? I Think Not

By ZeeBYoung BRONZE, Coatesville, Pennsylvania
ZeeBYoung BRONZE, Coatesville, Pennsylvania

Don't judge a person until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. :)

If there's one thing I learned in my 15 years of life on this planet, it's that people don't like to accept their own mistakes, or when they are wrong, which is actually kind of expected. It's human nature, everybody does it. I will admit, even I do it, a lot actually, but now it's getting to the point where it's just ridiculous. Take accidents. They don't just “happen” like people seem to believe. They are caused by a persons carelessness, and stupidity, and when they do happen, people either take the easy way out (also the religious way out), and blame God and say it was God's will, or try to place the blame on somebody else. The second one is the same thought process people have when they blame the media for everything that's wrong with today's youth and general society.

If you haven't heard of them, let me introduce you to the Parent's Television Council. The Parent's Television Council is basically a group of people who believe they know what is appropriate for prime time television. They're main goal is to keep TV as clean as possible “for the children.” Lately they have been condemning Rihanna's “Man Down” music video for depicting rape and murder. This is a quote from the organizations leader, “Man Down is an inexcusable, shock-only shoot and kill theme song...” says Paul Porter. Upon reading this, the first thing that came to my mind is “How can you sit here and think that Rihanna is trying to tell young girls (and in some cases, guys) that if you are ever raped, it is okay to shoot and kill the person?”

It's these kinds of paranoid groups that I have had up to the top of my head with. These people are the same type of people that will blame violent video games for school shootings, or rappers for turning their kids on to the idea of sex and drugs. If your child ever watches Rihanna's Man Down video, and the first conclusion they draw is that it is okay to murder your assaulter if they are ever in that situation, that is not Rihanna's or the media's fault. That is a result of your sad, horrendous parenting.

People do not imitate what they see on television, in music videos, or video games. STUPID people imitate what they see on television, in music videos, or in video games. If you raise your children properly, and teach them morals and right from wrong, they should have a logical thinking brain to understand that the way things are handled and portrayed on television are not necessarily what should happen in real life, and the things they see on TV, or listen to on their iPod will not have an affect on them, because they know enough to know better.

However, most parent's aren't putting in the effort to do any of this. They're being lazy, and letting their television sets and computer raise their children, and as a result, they expect celebrities to be just the most perfect people, and when they slip up, people make an unnecessary big deal about it. Sometimes it goes as far as trying to get certain shows canceled/banned, and censoring certain music artists, both of which go against the first amendment. It is NOT a certain celebrity's, or TV show's job to raise your children. That is YOUR job.

Do I think the media could tone itself down a bit. Yes. Do I think some celebrities could be a little more mindful in the choices they make? Absolutely, but only for their OWN well being. They don't have to be these perfect angels, or fit YOUR standards just because YOUR children watch them, because it's YOUR fault that YOUR child is a weak headed person, and has a backbone made of jello in the first place. Celebrities have their own lives and are their own people, and don't have to live up to you. Society is placing blame where it doesn't belong. They're only looking on the surface of everything instead of looking deeper into the situation, getting into the roots of everything and realizing the problem is beginning at home.

So go ahead. Ban certain TV shows. Censor certain artists, but it won't make a difference because in the end, your child is still an easily influenced, brain dead idiot. If they're not influenced by the media, they'll be influenced by their friends, and so forth.

Maybe if the Parent's Television Council and other groups and organizations like it put time into teaching their children what is right and what is not, instead of paying attention to what everybody else is doing, we could all watch TV in peace and enjoy the media for it's main purpose: entertainment, instead of having people running around thinking it's okay to murder somebody, and act like Snooki in public.

BradCarrieshaw BRONZE, San Jose, California
Excuse me, but can I give you a standing ovation? This is AMAZING. I'm not one to be the first person to agree, but I agree with EVERY SINGLE point you've made, fullheartedly. This is exactly what I try to tell people when they blame their mistakes and others on the media and religion. If anything happens to you, responsibility is on you, stop making excuses. Thank you so much for writing this, it's amazing. I'm still in awe as I'm writing this comment.

x.beth_mia.x BRONZE, Droitwich, Other

'' Never give up''
'' Always be yourself''

This was a very inspiring article. Keep it up!