Teenage Love? | Teen Ink

Teenage Love?

By Meredith Munro SILVER, Spring Lake, New Jersey
Meredith Munro SILVER, Spring Lake, New Jersey

Do you believe in love in high school? Could it possibly exist?

No way, kids don't know what true love is... But, how many people do you know that dated in high school that are currently married and happy? I personally know about 4 couples very very well that are now happy after being high school sweethearts. Did they just like each other as teens and grow to love each other? When did the "like" change to "love?" In college? Age 21? 22?23? Or could they possibly have loved each other all along?

How can you put an age on love?

I, personally, believe in teenage love. I truly think it exists. Adults that did not fall in love till they were, in fact, adults, will most likely dismiss it. However, some - like my mother, for instance - do not dismiss teenage love. Do you?

Dreamer531 said...
Dreamer531, Des Moines, Iowa
People don't take teenage love seriously. They think we say I love you out of habit, or to feel more grown up and such. And sometimes we do, but so do adults.

LeahSkai BRONZE, Florissant, Missouri
Love doesn't have an age limit. I think when you're young is the best time to fall in love. Its the only time love is truly innocent; without the background of pain and the memories from the past to stop you from taking certain chances. I've been in love, I am in love. Even if it isn't the love my parents share or the love older people share it is still love. Highschoolers can fall in love. 

0MusicFreak0 BRONZE, Seffner, Florida

\"Live your life the way you want to live it\"

Age doesn't define who we can date or like or even love. I believe in teenage love because I am experiencing it now, and have been very happy for about 2 years.

cortneymurderdoll, Largo, Florida

f*** the police, love is like the wind u cant see it but u can feel it, truth is everyones gonna hurt u u just gotta find the ones worth suffering for.

well im am i teen n my boyfriend is also ..we fell in love while we were in high school. so i believe in it. Now hes asking me to marry him.

donna BRONZE said...
donna BRONZE, Thornwood, New York

-Some say holding on is what makes us strong. Sometimes, it takes more strength to let go and move on.
-Don't go where the path may lead; go instead were there is no path and leave a trail behind you.

honestly, my parents knew each other since they were little kids. they dated in high school (and even went to prom together) and got married at 23 and are married for about 25 years now. i think it's time to fall in love when you met the right person. it could happen anytime and anywhere. it depends on the individual. the only sad thing is that sometimes it doesn't work out- the teens think they're in love and they make terrible mistakes that they'll regret. sadly, most teens are in love with the idea of love. but then again, you have couples like my parents who end up living happily ever after. it depends. it's different for everybody. :)

sonnygirl597 said...

teenage love is true love im in a very happy relationship with my boyfriend any one who thinks teenage love dosent exist you are wrong :P

sunshine555 said...
my parents met in school to didnt like eachother untill the seventh grade then had a baby when my mother was about 18 

See, I'm a teen too, and I've known this girl since I had just turned 3 (she's 6 months younger). We liked each other a lot (we confessed we wanted to marry, and had already picked how many kids we wanted (2 girls 2 boys)) and now ... well I'm not sure if it was love then, but now we're dating and if it isn't love, it's a lot and a lot and a lot of like (so probably love). We think about each other constantly and we're like brother and sister. I tell her every thing, she tells me everything, and we're as happy as happy can be.

That's my story.

MusicalXMolly SILVER, Shelby Twp, Michigan

Live the life you love. Love the life you live.

I completely agree! Sometimes life gets in the way of love but being a teen means you can have pure carefree love

jwow21 BRONZE said...
jwow21 BRONZE, Gap, Pennsylvania
i think you could fal in love in high school but i also think everyone has there own time that they fall in love. I know many people that didnt fall in love until after collage! They were still as happy as can be single than in a relationship.

CarrieAnne said...
CarrieAnne, Carlise, Other
My parents met in school, and got married and had a baby by the time they were 18. So sometimes i think it is love, but a teenagers emotions are all over the place so its hard to actually know whats love and whats not. Then again only you know how you feel.

writingisright, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

"Don't follow your dreams; chase them."
- Richard Dumb

I agree. Love is real to all ages. Sure, teenagers are distracted with hormones and mood swings but they still know what love is and ache to find it.

Gracious PLATINUM, Go Away, Kansas

"life sucks and then you die, yeah, i should be so lucky"

-Jacob, Twilight

I’m still that girl who falls when she runs, Getting back up, because falling is fun.

your wrong

Gracious PLATINUM, Go Away, Kansas

-Jacob, Twilight

teenage love is love. real love. young love, but real. Adults have fights, divorce, bills to pay. stuff that gets in the way of love, puts a strain on it. Teens are pure. purer than adults

Redbull12 said...
There is absolutely no way to generalize love by something as age. Love is personal and is different and acted upon differently by every person differently.

VaB.lina said...
VaB.lina, Mechanicsville, Virginia

- "We were given: Two hands to hold. To legs to walk. Two eyes to see. Two ears to listen. But why only one heart? Because the other was given to someone else. For us to find."
- "Shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you will land among the stars."

I dont think age has much to do with it.  If you find the right person young, then it will still be right when you are older.  Sometimes age may mess things up, but if you are really truly meant to be with someone you met in high school, then I think that is the way it is meant to be.

illneverforget SILVER, Bishop, California

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened"

Most teenage love is based on lust. Whether people realize it or not. I personally don't think true love in high school is very common. Sure, there always seems to be those few couples who have been together, and stay together for a long time. But people expect that to be the case every time with each relationship. But it's unrealistic and childish.

Russelsgurl said...
I'm 15, and even i think that you have to be realy in love or meant for each other. my boyfriend loves me, but when your 11 i am a little doubtfull that you should do anything for him. it's just a little to early for that sweety. but if you believe he is the one then stay together. just take it slow. you will grow to love each other more, and in new ways. but when you get to my age you can get more serious, and hey, maybe someday you will get married.

Russelsgurl said...
I so agree with you. my boyfriend and i have been together for a while and we are serios in our relationship.it's only the teens that don't take their relationships seriously that make people's views biased and tainted about our love towards another.

Russelsgurl said...
All of you who think that teenage love does not exist are wrong. I am personally in a relationship that has been going on for a while, and we are as serious as an adult in a relationship. It only depends how a teen acts in a relationship on if the feelings are real.