Teenage Love? | Teen Ink

Teenage Love?

August 19, 2009
By Meredith Munro SILVER, Spring Lake, New Jersey
Meredith Munro SILVER, Spring Lake, New Jersey
9 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Do you believe in love in high school? Could it possibly exist?

No way, kids don't know what true love is... But, how many people do you know that dated in high school that are currently married and happy? I personally know about 4 couples very very well that are now happy after being high school sweethearts. Did they just like each other as teens and grow to love each other? When did the "like" change to "love?" In college? Age 21? 22?23? Or could they possibly have loved each other all along?

How can you put an age on love?

I, personally, believe in teenage love. I truly think it exists. Adults that did not fall in love till they were, in fact, adults, will most likely dismiss it. However, some - like my mother, for instance - do not dismiss teenage love. Do you?


Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 923 comments.


on Apr. 28 2010 at 2:26 pm
sierra_nicole13 GOLD, Corpus Christi, Texas
15 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
It may be hard now, but in the end everything will be perfect.

Many think of love as an over used word. This is why most adults dont agree that in fact teens can be in love. I my self am in high school and hear constintaly how these couples are in love, but end up cheating on each other or just breaking up for no reason. This is why one of my friends says that we don't know what love is at 15, 16, 17, or even 20. She herself has not been with a guy that didn't last more than a month. This is where my other friends' opinion falls into play. She has been in a comitted relationship for the past two years to one of my best friends. Yes, they have had fights and broken up a few times, but they do in deed love each other.

Personally I have always believed in teen love. Not til recently did I get to realize that I myself am one of those people. Yes the ones that believe in it but never thinks it shall happen to themselves. Well, on this point I agree that teens can in fact be in total love with each other. No matter what age, we can be in love and love back. Some say that if you love someone you will give into "needs" but really love isn't that. It is caring, trust, and even when you think you are about to kill them, you can't help but smile in the middle of a fight. It's just that one hug that yuo never want to let go of, and those lips pressed to your forehead when you are terrifed and wnat to cry.

So to all of that that say teens can't love, you thin to yourselfs please. You shouldn't go to others saying that they aren't in love, you don't know what they have gone through or even how they truely feel.


on Apr. 27 2010 at 5:23 pm
love-hurts__i-know SILVER, Decatur, Illinois
8 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"i don't walk through my life, i strut through it!"

Love is true but i'm not sure that you can know if you love someone in High School. What if it's not true love if it's just there to fill a gap in your heart and then something goes wrong and you find out that you aren't really in love and it's too late.

givemechance said...
on Apr. 25 2010 at 3:32 pm
are you a guy>

on Apr. 24 2010 at 11:20 pm
carriethebeliever BRONZE, L-burg, Kentucky
4 articles 2 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Get lost. You might find yourself."

Teenage love, I have so much stuff I could say about it... I mean okay yeah my aunt and her husband are happily married with two amazing children after being high school sweethearts. but here's the thing, they didn't stay together all through out school or afterward. they got back together then either fell "back in love" or actually fell in love for the first time. but i mean, teenage love, yeah i sorta kinda believe in it but then i again i don't.  the reason i don't is because a girl will do "anything" for the guy she "loves" even IF he treats her like crap, she thinks she is in love, but she's not. because some girls can't face reality and realize, if he really loves you,  he isn't gunna treat you like crap. and that's my opinion.

on Apr. 24 2010 at 5:09 pm
EmmaTaylor SILVER, Fort Collins, Colorado
6 articles 1 photo 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
Before you judge me why don't you let me tell you about my life?
Sometimes it's best to forget how you feel and remember what you deserve.

Love is one of those things that can't be defined because everyone has their own definitions, based upon thier life and experiences.

Valery5 said...
on Apr. 23 2010 at 12:30 pm
Valery5, Riverside, California
0 articles 0 photos 74 comments

Favorite Quote:
"What's bad for your heart is good for your art."

Everyone falls in love at a different time. SOme teens do fall in love in highschool so if those adluts that didnt find love during highschool isn't there fault. there true love just wasn't in high school

NiaraStorm said...
on Apr. 23 2010 at 12:27 pm
NiaraStorm, Greenwood Village, Colorado
0 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.













Edward Abbey

I so agree w you! I mean, Twilight was a nice read, but seriously? Everyone's wwwaaaaayyyyy to obsessed w it (and this is coming from a girl who's read it like 6 times)! and it was a FANTASY love so yes, its a false impression of what love actually is! 

on Apr. 22 2010 at 3:56 am
I think that was really sweet that you found your true love like that :) however I think its only fair that she said that she personally believes in teenage love and agrees with her mother in not dismissing it I think you miss understood that :) 

Love Dr said...
on Apr. 21 2010 at 9:30 pm
god i remembber what it was like when i was a kid......i have loved my bret since i was 11 in 7th grade. i turned 12 and when we were both 12 we had our first time. now i am expecting a child soon. (our first) and me and him dated 9 months b4 sex. but....we did break up till age 16...then he moved. and at 21 i saw him again. now through that wholeeee time. we loved eachother. and didnt date anyone else. but i do also beleive that you dont love someone after 2 months. u maY think u do. but see how long it lasts

on Apr. 21 2010 at 6:54 pm
AshleyOB PLATINUM, Belmont, New Hampshire
23 articles 3 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
Pain is success

I believe that teenage love exists. No matter what anyone says. I have a loved a boy since the 5th grade and no matter what he does, mostly it's all bad, I will always love him. He has been through EVERYTHING with me and sometimes we walk away from each other. No love is perfect.

 


on Apr. 20 2010 at 7:38 pm
KimmieLovesYou BRONZE, Freehold, New Jersey
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."
-Harvey Fierstein

Love is real no matter what age you are. I don't believe we're to "young to love" and that our love "can never last". How do they know? Anyone can fall in love at any time. Love doesnt magically happen when you hit a certain age. It's kind of like (and don't mind the bad comparison) drinking ages. It's not magically impossible to die from drinking at age 21. It's just that people steiotype love as something that can only happen when your older... When it can really happen any time.

sxb1122 SILVER said...
on Apr. 19 2010 at 11:54 pm
sxb1122 SILVER, Lake Jackson, Texas
6 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Remember what John and Paul said." "The apostles?" "No, the Beatles. All you need is love."

Teenage love is real love! I speak from experience. It's life changing, real, honest to gods love. For the past 4 years, I had been on suicide watch more times than I can count. I had fell so deep into a depression, that the therapist, meds, and clinics I had been to wern't doing a thing to make me want to live. Then I met this kid who just moved to my town from a few states over. He and I became friends, and slowly became less suicidal. Then we started dating then going out and I wasn't suicidal in the least. I became happy. All because of one guy. He gave me a reason to live. And if that isn't true love, I don't know what it.

~sxb1122


on Apr. 18 2010 at 7:15 pm
sparkofheart GOLD, Plymouth, Minnesota
16 articles 2 photos 253 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Always" - Severus Snape

I met what I swore (notice the past tense, people) to be the love of my life when I was in 6th grade. I was 11 years old. I dated him off and on for 3 years until he finally moved away last summer. I haven't seen him in over 10 months and I've only IMed him a handful of times. I'm not over him yet. I truly believed I loved him and he loved me too but he hurt me badly, and I still haven't recovered. Part of me thinks I never will. I am now 15 years old and although I have found someone else that I 'love' to death, I'm never going to forget him. Love is love, no matter what age you are. When you find it, you know. A lot of people think 'soulmates' when they talk about love. They aren't polar opposites but they are completely different things. According to Greek mythology, humans were first created with 4 arms, legs, and eyes, and 2 mouths and noses. Afraid of their power, Zeus split them apart and left them to find each other again. This is what the Greeks defined as soulmates. Finding your other half. Now think of how many boyfriends/girlfriends the average person has in their lifetime before finding 'the one', if they ever do find them. They can't all be their soulmates. But they can be in love.

on Apr. 18 2010 at 7:13 pm
sparkofheart GOLD, Plymouth, Minnesota
16 articles 2 photos 253 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Always" - Severus Snape

I met what I swore (notice the past tense, people) to be the love of my life when I was in 6th grade. I was 11 years old. I dated him off and on for 3 years until he finally moved away last summer. I haven't seen him in over 10 months and I've only IMed him a handful of times. I'm not over him yet. I truly believed I loved him and he loved me too but he hurt me badly, and I still haven't recovered. Part of me thinks I never will. I am now 15 years old and although I have found someone else that I 'love' to death, I'm never going to forget him. Love is love, no matter what age you are. When you find it, you know. A lot of people think 'soulmates' when they talk about love. They aren't polar opposites but they are completely different things. According to Greek mythology, humans were first created with 4 arms, legs, and eyes, and 2 mouths and noses. Afraid of their power, Zeus split them apart and left them to find each other again. This is what the Greeks defined as soulmates. Finding your other half. Now think of how many boyfriends/girlfriends people and average person has in their lifetime before finding 'the one', if they ever do find them. They can't all be their soulmates. But they can be in love.

on Apr. 18 2010 at 3:52 pm
GorgeousChaos BRONZE, Missouri Vally, Iowa
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
Maybe i will never be who i was before.. Maybe i don't know her anymore.

i disagree with the marriage thing. you dont have to be married to be truly in love with someone. I met my fiancee,bobby, when i was 15. I was dating a guy that was kind of a jerk to me and Bobby was someone he had just met. i ended up hanging around bobby all night. there ws something about him. he just made me feel different. i didnt stay in my relationship long after that. i realized that i deserved a guy that made me feel as amazing as bobby did. i stayed single for 2 years and had never seen bobby again after that one night. he ended up getting a hold of me from a mutual friend. I was a little surprized that he remembered me. he said i was never far from his mind. and honestly any guy that tried to date me i campared to bobby. bobby always won. lol. the first night i stayed with him my heart jumped. i knew i was in love then. we've been together for 6 months now. it feels like we've known each other forever. and he still opens doors for me, and holds me while we look at the stars, and wakes up in the middle on the night just to kiss me on the forehead. But we arent married, and wont be for a few years.

on Apr. 15 2010 at 12:51 pm
SunShineSparkle BRONZE, Orange, California
1 article 0 photos 33 comments

Favorite Quote:
System of A Down - MIND"you need the ones you love and love the ones that you need", HYPNOTIZE"Mesmerize the simple minded Propaganda leaves us blinded", SAD STATUE"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering"

teenage love?! dude its all love!!! love happens no matter da age and it can last a week or forever. its all about finding that one person that your gonna love forever.

on Apr. 14 2010 at 9:33 am
oliveyag BRONZE, West Fargo, North Dakota
1 article 2 photos 2 comments
I don't believe there is an age on love, both my parents and my host parents met in highschool and are still married. But, i do think that teens are much more likely to think they're in true love when really it's not. That said, I do think teen love can and does happen.

ssssss BRONZE said...
on Apr. 13 2010 at 8:51 pm
ssssss BRONZE, Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 28 comments

Favorite Quote:
If you love something, let it go, if it comes back to you it's yours, if it doesn't, it never was.

Ever since i was twelve ive felt totally in love with a guy at my youth group at first when i met him i had a crush on him but after going on a trip that took 6 hours to get to i knew i was in love and i know that a lot of people say that its not actual love i just think its love and its just a crush but when you feel something this strongly it cant be anything else but at the same time love isnt a feeling its a commitment because feelings always go away at some point but love never dies and i am totally commited

on Apr. 13 2010 at 4:04 pm
destinedhearts SILVER, Waianae, Hawaii
6 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"with you by my side nothing is impossible" HE<i

teenage love i something thats beautiful..:)

on Apr. 13 2010 at 9:57 am
x0x0Luckyx0x0 SILVER, Enterprise, Utah
6 articles 2 photos 21 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Killing under the cloak of war is still murder.."-Albert Einstein.

I absolutly believe in teenage love. I met a guy at the mall four days ago and he called it "Like at first sight." I get the butterflies when I talk to him or about him and my friends say I've got it bad for him. He's so different from any other guys I've ever met.