5 Signs You've Been Replaced | Teen Ink

5 Signs You've Been Replaced

By MumblingMelanie DIAMOND, Jackson, Missouri
MumblingMelanie DIAMOND, Jackson, Missouri

Don't be a victim; be a titan.

1. THE INSIDE JOKES

So, originally, you and your best buddy were all laughing with random things that meant nothing to anyone else. If all of a sudden you see your best friend dancing like a freak and speaking in some unreal language with a new person, it's time to get your pick axe ready: the avalanche is coming.

EMERGENCY SIGN: The avalanche has begun if the jokes are about you...and they're more than playful.

2. THE FRIDAY NIGHT STORIES

You and your friend used to spend nearly every Friday night together, eating popcorn and watching craptacular movies. Suddenly, you find yourself alone, and your insensitive, ignorant friend starts talking about their awesome, fun night with their new buddypal in front of you. At this point, I hope you're wearing your hardhat, because the rocks are beginning to fall.

EMERGENCY SIGN: You know you're in danger if suddenly your friend is busy each and every week.

3. THE SLEEPOVER REJECTION

Say you're having a sleepover with your friend and their new friend. Or maybe you're paired with them in science class or whatever; I'm too lazy to go into detail about more than one example. If your friends are off in the corner giggling and being stupid without you, and you're on your laptop writing articles about the signs of being replaced, then you know something's up. Tie yourself to the nearest tree; the rocks are hitting you hard.

EMERGENCY SIGN: If THEY have a party and don't invite you, don't hold your breath the friendship of yours will last.

4. THE LOOP YOU'VE BEEN DRAWN OUT OF

You haven't talked to either of your friends in forever. You have no idea what the heck is going on in their lives. One day, you finally talk to one of them and you casually ask about the other friend's lives. If they flood your head with news and information about the latest happenings of your other friend, then you know they've probably been talking and haven't taken the time to call you. I mean, sure, you could have called them, but if they didn't answer, get ready. Hope you brought your safety goggles, because the avalanche is going to blind you like the sun.

EMERGENCY SIGN: They suddenly know more about your friend than you do...could be a coincidence, but it's hard not to feel like the third wheel.

5. BEING IGNORED ISN'T BLISS

There comes a day in all friendships where it just...ends. I hate to be the total downer here, but the truth hurts. (I'm not mean; I'm honest. ;) So, if all the signs above have been happening to you, brace yourself. Chances are you're the new third wheel; or even worse: the old best friend. But, seriously, don't worry. Hate to get all Oprah on you here, but if someone who you were so close to is going to replace you so easily, they weren't worth your time in the first place. So the avalanche will hit, but it will end. You'll make it out okay.

Ahh rejection. What a friend I have in you...

I think I've found my new pasttime writing! Mainly for when I'm stuck in my stories or at a lost for words in poetry.

Pardon my typos as I'm sure there are many. I usually think tons faster than I type, so work with me hear.
I wrote this in just a few minutes; it's a bit difficult to think with the giggling in the corner...=

Lexy831 said...
Lexy831, Hazlwt, New Jersey
My best friend resently replaced me things were going great and it was just us against the world until it just kind of stopped abruptly she stopped sitting with me at lunch and i dont really have any other friends besides her and she would just sit with her new best friend and when they would walk past me she would see me sitting alone and just keep walking we used to talk all the time but now whenever we talk all she talks about is what her and her new best friend are planning and when they are going to hang out or how funny her new best friend is. I have been replaced and it sucks and it hurts a lot.

Mystery said...
My best friend has a new best friend and I think she is replacing me because she has been working at our yard and is making new friends which is fine but she isn’t really talking to me unless we are in school but when we are with our other friends they kind of pick on me and I don’t really like it. I don’t know what to do because sometimes I just want to get up and walk away but I don’t have anyone else to go to. I told her all my deepest darkest secrets mad I don’t want her to tell anyone. I want to tell her how I feel but I’m scared. Someone please help me

Alex said...
My best friend is a guy and we have been friends since we were 14. He is a very friendly and a nice guy and is popular among all other people in my school. Since 6 months back he is being ignoring me as if I'm useless to him now and is hanging out with another girl who is a friend of mine. They do stuff together like take pictures, play together, plan hangouts. But he's not even bothered to invite me. He is caring so much about her and whenever she's in a problem like a fight with her bf, he helps her. But he never do such a thing to me. When I ask him what's wrong he turns the fault on me. He says that he cares about me but never show it. I really don't know what to do?

Ruth said...
My dear,
I know this kind of experience hurts, and actually, even adults feel hurt when it happens to them. This kind of experience is so well-known in every corner of the world. It does not have to mean that the other friend is cool or something special. She is just new and mayby the activity they do together in park might be more attractive than the person itself ( do they spend time on their own or in a larger group?). What you should know is that you will find yourself a new friend soon. And she might give you more attention than your present one, there are milions of people in this world. You should invite this friend at your party anyway, and let her choose if she atends all of it or otherwise. This would be very mature on your side, play it cool and your friend may return to you, if you take her back, of course. It's absolutely normal to stress about all of it, but talk to another friend of you. A few years ago I used to cry myself crazy over a friend who treated me like dirt. And then there was another friend, who tryed to help me and listen to me. Eventually I ended the so-called friendship with the one who just took advantage of me to be her cry-on shoulder and became bff with the one who wanted the best for me in the most unconditional way. I am telling you this for you to know that you are not alone in this painful situation. But talk to another friend and mayby something great would happen in the end. I am here to help you with whatever you need, you are not alone, babygirl. Hugs and kisses!

Ruth said...
My dear,

Hello said...
Me and my friend have been friends since kindergarten we use to spend every day together I am in 8 th grade and she has a new friend I was fine with them hanging out but now they go to the park every day for 3 hours and she never sees me anymore and I feel replaced like she doesn’t care about me anymore and my birthday is in 5 days and I think she is only coming to my party just so she can go to the place we are going to but we are having a sleepover the night before but I feel like she’s not gonna come from school after and she’s gonna hang with the friend for the three hours and be late to the sleepover

Micky415 said...
Micky415,
I have a similar problem too :( It's complicated, but basically we were best friends throughout all of our childhood and high school. Now we are in college and she made a new "best friend." The worst part is that she pushed me out so fast and without any "signs" or warnings. Like one day we were normal, having fun and talking to each other about deep stuff. The very next day, she made a new "best friend" and things were never the same again. We are roommates right now, but she barely acknowledges me, and she has become to indifferent. It hurts when there are no warning signs or anything, it was very abrupt and random :(

Mermaid said...
I have a similar problem. My best friend started dating my ex after I had been with him for almost all of sophomore year. This hurts me even though I want to be happy for her. What also sucks is that my ex is in my friend group. It is so awkward to be there now so I just made an entirely new friend group and I've started to shut out my best friend until she comes back to me because I was/am the one she goes to when she needs someone to lean on. So basically, my advice is, just wait for your best friend to come back to you. And if she doesn't, then she doesn't deserve to have a friend like you because you are so much better than that new girl.

Mermaid said...

donnaxd said...
donnaxd,
I have the bestest friends in the whole world, but things started to change when this other girl suddenly wealed her way into the picture. This girl and I had a rough past, and she was a toxic controlling friend. According to my bestie, she's "changed" and that she hangs out with us because she doesn't have many friends. Here's the thing, when this girl and I were "besties" she would ditch me for the "popular" girls. Now my best frends are slowly fading from my life all because of this one girl!!!!! I can't even believe they can tolerate her after she started dating my besties ex a while ago!!!! She tries so hard to be one of us, and not to be rude, but she just needs to stop. Literally the other day my bestie told me that I'm not invited to this girl's party cuz we aren't friends! GEE THANKS LUCY!!!!(oops) Anyway, things have been rough, and I don't even sit with Lucy on the bus anymore, and none of the girls from our squad want to be my partner during class, so I always end up with my other friend. (Not that there is a problem with her, it's just that, they're supposed to be MY besties. Not hers!) Please help. Also, we've been the Three Musketeers since like 6th grade!

Cars said...
Ok so I have this best friend I have known since I was in 3rd grade( I'm in 6th), let's just call her A. We would do everything together. This year was her last year at the school. Everything was going great, but when we went to Natures Classroom, everything kinda started to change. She stopped hanging out with me. Because we weren't in the same room, she became closer with someone else, (let's call her K). So after we got back and it was April break, me and A stop texting. When I get back, K and A were giggling and talking about ME AND A'S INSIDE JOKES! Then I hear them taking about this big dance and making plans to go get their hair and nails done TOGETHER and completely ignore me when I say "um hi guys". I try to talk to A about how I feel, but she says I'm just jealous and talk to K. She won't even try to make me feel better. It's only worse. Then we have the slime trend. Everyone is bringing in slime to school. K A and I do it 2. When I bring in slime they play with it. But K thinks I'm an idiot and says "oh she's gonna get it hard and dirty and mix in other slimes." And then she tells EVERYONE and talks about me when Im not there.And she also says "I'm not even gonna let A or other people try it."Then someone in my class, let's call him J, tries to stick up for me and says "But K, you just let me and Dominic and A feel, but you won't let her?" K says "well I won't even let A touch it." J says "why?" And K looks at A and won't respond. I k ow why. It's because she knows I get jealous when I can't play with it. I turn my back, and the next words I hear are: "Hey A let's make a bubble." I turn again, and I see A and K making bubbles with K'S SLIME. I've tried talking to a teacher but it hasn't done anything. My mom knows and reaches out to another girl in Class Ana, who has been bullied by K longer and badder than K. The worst part is, K's Mom has been talked to about K being a jerk, and she doesn't do anything about it. She just says "eh whatever it's fine."

coco said...
So this new girl has become bffs with my bff and i feel really lonely. Cause when i watch then i see how happy they are. I remember when we used to be like that. Now all my friend does is talk about her. I dont know what to do. And i told my friend that we are not talking a alot anymore and she just say bye. Do u think we should still be friends?

chiisshh_ BRONZE, Chinle, Arizona

~Be in love with the one who looks at you like your Magical~

i can surely relate...by a lot

Iman1 said...
Actually I'm in the same situation
My best friend moved to another
And it was sad because we didn't have time to say bye to each other.
When she left , she promised me that we will talk every,nothing will change between us and we will still the best friend forever.
1months it's was okay , we were texting every day
2months it's was different , we were talking 2days per week
After that she talked to me and said she want to be best friend with one girl
Now she doesn't even tell me stuff
She complete forget about me
And I'm so sad

yeoja.sm said...
yeoja.sm,
Wow, lately I've noticed this happening to me. It's my freshman year in high school and she's the only one I had. Known her since 6th grade and we were best friends until she met new people. I'm not great in groups and I tend to prefer enjoying conversations one on one. Whenever there's a group, I'm the one who's third wheeling or heck even fourth wheeling! I guess I'm a pretty easy person to replace considering that fact that I find myself boring, shy, and surprise! I suffer from social anxiety :) I basically have no social skills at all and I have no control of my feelings at the moment. She's in a lot of my classes and whenever I hear her laughing with her new best friend it just gets me down and I don't feel so special anymore. I wanna move on and be happy but it's like she's rubbing it in my face and she doesn't have a care in the world of how it's hurting me and of what our friendship used to be. I hope thing get better and I meet new people. I don't like to see myself unhappy.

Jess said...
How do I get through this? She is my only friend and she's the only one I trust. I moved schools recently and I feel like she doesn't need me anymore. It used to be just us two. Now I'm out of the social loop. I'm scared to face the truth but what if I'm just dragging her down? Help me.

Omg, yess! My so called best friend (lets name her sally) would always do things with me in the summer. ever since I quit band, shes been hanging out with my other best friend (lets name her betty) that i would swim and play tennis with, and she was also in band. Sally, Betty, and I were really close, when I was in Band. Ever since I quit, Betty and Sally have been telling me how much fun they've been having at each others houses literally every weekend. :( Sad to say, friendships don't last. I believe my one true friend is the one that moved away to another city. I haven't forgot about her, and she hasn't forgot about me. Life is crazy and cruel these days.

Neelie said...
OH MY GOD! SAME! Literally my so called "best friend" have literally talk day and night not stop our streak got to idk 93 but just a few days ago she started talking to a girl lets call her Lucy in history me and my "best friend" let's call her Cara have our last to classes together accelerated English and history and we sit next to eachother in both classes (haha SIKE) I walk in shortly behind Cara this one day in social studies and j see her pointing at MY seat and saying LUCY LUCY SIT HERE! So I ended sitting alone behind them....UGHHH ITS JUST THE MOST ANNOYINGEST THING like she'll probably go psycho if I were to do that to her I have no clue why she wouldn't know the same for me! Sorry for my rant but I had to its so fustrating!!!

SugarPlum13 said...
I'm so confused the i think the closest person in my life, the one that u consider a sister to me is doing this to me. I don't know how to tell her. But now I know that maybe she got tired of being my need sister and needs someone else...

Sam30 said...
I agree 100% with you it is so true and so sad to be reading this