What if we are the savages? | Teen Ink

What if we are the savages?

August 17, 2009
By TheWaitress SILVER, Denton, Texas
TheWaitress SILVER, Denton, Texas
8 articles 2 photos 23 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I'd rather run away with my imagination than run away alone" - Me :)


I always find it interesting how Hollywood films always try and make extraterrestrials appear to be brutal creatures that are only here to take over our planet. Why do they have to be savages? I think it’s unfair to do this to creatures that we have never actually seen, apart from the Roswell, New Mexico claims, and to make them appear to be ruthless is just wrong. What happens if we are the actual savages? The ones who want to attack these creatures only because we are afraid of what they can do.

Truthfully I think it would be extremely interesting to meet an extraterrestrial, what happens if they could help us advance our technology and possibly make the way we live better? We’re always talking about saving the earth and yet as we protest about it most of us are still doing nothing. What if the extraterrestrials could actually help us discover new ways of saving our planet?

The theory that extraterrestrials are coming to Earth just to take over our planet seems really far fetched also. You’re telling me that the only planet in the entire solar system that can sustain life is Earth? If that’s true then where have the extraterrestrials been living? On a planet similar, ok fine, did their planet die? If so, then what will they do after Earth dies under their rule? Find another, well if that’s possible then they don’t need earth. It’s all really far fetched.

Don’t get me wrong I always enjoy a nice “Alien Thriller” movie but sometimes I think we make things to far fetched and I hate that some people believe that the aliens will actually be a threat to us which means if they actually did show up here then people would be thrown into a state of panic due to the fact that the only thing they can connect with aliens coming to earth is the fact that they want to take over our planet and destroy us all.

So I ask again, what if we are the savages?