Music's effect on our Teenage society | Teen Ink

Music's effect on our Teenage society

February 8, 2010
By Jonsie GOLD, Bonifay, Florida
Jonsie GOLD, Bonifay, Florida
11 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Yes the past can hurt, but the way I see it is you can either run from it or learn from it."
-Rafiki(The Lion King)


Daily a rhythmic beat floats through my mind. Hourly, a new song finds its way into the crevices of my mind. Every minute a phrase… word… or noise triggers yet another melody to caress my lips. Music is constantly around us. No matter how hard you try to escape it, it’ll find you. With these facts in mind, how do we know that the music we listen to doesn’t dictate our actions?
All throughout time it was staring us in the face. The 60’s being the birthplace of Rock N’ Roll. During this time you had teenagers questioning everything: authority, government, and many others. The 70’s, being the Disco Era. 80’s, where Hard Rock found home, you had immediate defiance, and so many teens’ lives revolved around drinking, partying, sex, drugs, and head-banging. The 90’s, a very confusing time, Pop invaded our radios. Now we come to the present time. In this age we have so many different genres of music. Rock alone has many categories (hard, metal, classic, and modern). Rap/ Hip-hop are famous for their bass. Country, always good for a cry, laugh, or just a little twang to your day. And Christian, which seems to only get listened to in a “church setting” (youth trips, Sunday/Wednesday service, etc.).
My thoughts are simply this, when out of all the things you allow into your mind music is the most dominant, and you listen to songs about drugs, sex, and violence what else can you expect to come from this society of people? Nothing, exactly, proven time and time again, music though entertaining, magical at moments, and even at times helpful or calming, can cause dangerous side-effects in our lives.