Why Is Dystopian Literature Such a Rise in Popularity Today? | Teen Ink

Why Is Dystopian Literature Such a Rise in Popularity Today?

January 25, 2019
By acrawford19 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
acrawford19 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

More dystopian stories are wrote and produced,more then there use to be, the topic is seeing a huge increase in popularity but why. The reasoning behind this increase is unknown to most but I think i have an idea as to why they are getting more popular. Dystopian futures are usually a look into the future of a country or city that tries to make life perfect but ends up failing making life unpleasant and takes away freedoms and rights from people.


These stories usually raise concern to how a government acts or how the future can turn out which may be why people love it so much. No one knows how the future will turn out and everyone mainly wants to think it will be positive but sometimes the negatives are some things we really need to get things right. In one story i’ve read called Harrison Bergeron it’s about a dystopian future where people are given handicaps so no one is stronger,smarter, or better looking than others everyone is supposed to be “equal”.


In this story the government is implying that independent thought is restricted, Individuality and dissent are bad, and citizens must conform to uniform expectations.If citizens don’t follow uniform expectations then they will be fined a good amount of money and put in jail for about 2 years. One of the main characters named george has a bag of birdshot on him so he doesn’t appear stronger than others and if he takes one of the balls out he will be fined 2000 dollars and 2 years of jail time per ball.


That’s just insane I bet you’re thinking indeed it is but the story really brings readers in and makes them think about what it’s like to live there or if the future might actually turn out like that.

A lot of these stories focus on people not being allowed to make their own decisions or have the same freedoms we have today. Most of these stories are very futuristic and show things like artificial intelligence controlling our jobs and making choices for us and even driving us to where we need to go.


Overall these stories give us a good view and idea of the ideal society gone wrong. These stories to me actually mean a lot because as years go on technology gets better and these stories start to seem more realistic and it’s worrying. It makes you not want to make the same mistakes as them and makes you take everything you have for granted. A world were i can’t make my own decisions and im controlled by the government  scares me, do you feel the same?.