Dystopias Aren’t What You Think They Are! | Teen Ink

Dystopias Aren’t What You Think They Are!

By Atokarz58 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
Atokarz58 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana

The dystopian genre has become very popular for many reasons. A dystopia is a futuristic world that is made to look perfect by the people controlling it, but it’s actually dysfunctional and highly controlled by the government, making the citizens feel trapped. This genre offers many things that make people like reading them.

One thing in the dystopian genre that people might find interesting is it offers an escape from their reality. Many people might not like their life and want something to take their mind of their problems. In the story “The Veldt” the protagonists of the story have a house that just did everything for them. This house clothes, feeds, bathes, sang, and even rocked them to sleep. The house also included a nursery that would show the kids anything they wanted. In the story the kids use it to imagine lion killing their parents. This gave the kids a way to show emotions and release anger.

Another thing people like about the dystopian genre is it shows a view of a perfect world. The world we live in is far from perfect and very chaotic at times which could make some people want to see what a perfect world would look like. Many people feel that equality is a major issue today and in the story “Harrison Bergeron” they have the 211th, 212th, 213th amendments which make everybody equal by putting handicaps on people so nobody is stronger or smarter than anyone else. The main character, George, has a buzzer in his ear that buzzes every few seconds that interrupts his thoughts so he can’t have ideas other people couldn’t think of.

The last thing that the dystopian genre has is a futuristic setting. Most people are curious about kind of technology there will be in the future and a dystopian story can show them that. The dystopian story “Ten With a Flag” has many forms of future technology like cars that drive themselves. In the story people can connect to a traffic web that will cause the steering wheel to fold in and the car will take you wherever you want. This story also has Central who predicts with 99% accuracy a test that determines how a baby will contribute to society.

The dystopian genre is very interesting and gives people many things like a view of a perfect world, new technology, and an escape from reality. This is why I think the dystopian genre is growing in popularity.