Dystopian Literature | Teen Ink

Dystopian Literature

By bdavis29 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
bdavis29 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana

Teens love dystopian literature because they have the imagination to grasp it. Dystopian literature has grown a lot in the past decade. A dystopia is a futuristic imagined universe where everything is chaotic and terrible. Dystopian societies have a control over the citizens. The freedom, information, and independence is very restricted. The citizens of the society have fear of the outside world.  I read three short stories Harrison Bergeron, Ten With a Flag, and The Veldt.

Teens love dystopian literature so much because there minds grasp it better and their minds are still fresh, teens always think of what it would be like living in another world besides the one we a living in. Dystopian books can help us with the future of this world. We can help to not make the mistakes that are in these dystopian books. Teens can be more cautious and learn from the stories in the books.

‘"I think dystopian books can help kids because the themes and lessons they have can help people with problems they have or might have and can give answers about what they want to talk about.” (Why Are Teens Reading Dystopian novels?) . It really is about a question of how many ethics rules are you willing to break and what is ethical to each of us. There are also some thoughts of the whole world is against me mentality and why is the whole world kinda screwed up.

There are a lot of movies that are based on Dystopias and young people in a bad society. Some examples of these movies are The Divergent Series, The Hunger Games, and The Maze Runner Series. These are very popular with teens and young adults and my favorite is The Hunger Games movies. My favorite part of the movie is when both Peeta and Katniss have to eat the poisoned berries because one of them have to die, but then the game stops and they both win.

In conclusion, teens minds can wrap their heads around a different world better than most adults because there minds are still growing. We need to keep this world safe and learn from the mistakes that these stories have told us. As young adults, we need to keep a positive mindset and keep this world in a better place than we leave it. By joining forces as young people, we can all do amazing things and make an impact on the world around us.

My English class read three short stories and we did an essay about why teens love distopian stories.