Cryptocurrency, Will It Take Over The Dollar? | Teen Ink

Cryptocurrency, Will It Take Over The Dollar?

May 31, 2022
By DaRsHiL_DeSai BRONZE, Parsippany, New Jersey
DaRsHiL_DeSai BRONZE, Parsippany, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Laughing so hard my sombrero falls off and I drop my taco"


An inspirational quote reads, “Living with fear stops us from taking risks, and if you don’t go out on the branch, you’re never going to get the best fruit” (Parish). Those who do not take the risks can never go above and beyond and receive the “best fruit”. Though sometimes the best fruit or the higher reward can not be achieved without a high risk which is why people do not achieve this. Furthermore, one risk people refuse to take is with their money.  Cryptocurrency in the past has experienced exponential growth since its introduction in 2008 and has taken the world by storm. Cryptocurrency has always been considered a “bad investment” and not going to be able to pay off the expenses it requires to mine the currencies from the money it requires to buy the miners, the facilities needed, the increasing electricity costs, and the fans required to cool the miners. Therefore,  cryptocurrency has been on the rise and will take over the dollar if certain changes are implemented such as taxing the currency.

The first reason to demonstrate why cryptocurrency can take over the dollar is Bitcoin’s spike in growth since its introduction in 2009. As stated in the article, “For Bitcoins or dollars, the Value of Rooted in the Cost '', “... right now, an increasing number of people believe in Bitcoins and similar, emerging stateless currencies. From parity with the dollar three years ago, one Bitcoin is now just over 800” (Hardy 1). As a result of the people who believed in Bitcoin, the currency today is now worth more than 30,000 U.S. dollars. In the same article it is also stated by Mr.Larsen, a critic of bitcoin that, “The exchange of value within the exchange of information, without the messy stuff of nations getting in the way gives a sense of purity”(Hardy 2). The quote proves that cryptocurrency is a more simplistic process compared to modern legal currency exchanges due to the fact that nations, governments, and politics are not involved within the currency.  Finally in the article, “Will Crypto Replace Cash? Here’s What You Could Expect” it is stated that, “Crypto is experiencing a renaissance right now, and nobody-not even the harshest critics-can deny it. The global crypto market cap is already at an insane 1.82 trillion…, and it looks to still be growing, whilst the dollar went from 54.64 billion last year to 42.92 billion so far this year”(Pierce 1). The market cap rate shows how many people bought shares of the currency, and the evidence proves more people have bought shares of Bitcoin compared to the dollar. Therefore, cryptocurrency will take over the dollar and the market because of its simplicity, growing popularity, and market capitalization rates.

One reason why people try to avoid cryptocurrency is how cryptocurrency is being treated like stocks; being bought and sold at the right time meaning that crypto might not be considered legal tender.  As stated in the article “Will Crypto Replace Cash? Here’s What You Could Expect” by financial tech analyst Dan Dolev, “... even if the ubiquity of these digital currencies has increased, people are still not using them to pay for things. As previously mentioned they’re getting bought and traded as speculative investments. This is definitive proof that crypto does not replace cash ever”(Hardy 2). This evidence shows that some people are still not grown into crypto and that people are just buying and selling the currency, but evidence from the same article displays evidence that states, “... the adoption rate of cryptocurrencies have grown in recent times. As of late, the United States has almost 30,000 Bitcoin ATMs in operation, which is an insane growth from just 1,800 machines 4 years ago”(Hardy 2).  The evidence displays that cryptocurrency is still growing at a massive rate and that people are converting their money into bitcoin using these ATMs. More ATMs show proof that more people want to convert their money into Bitcoin and how it is being used by more people as a currency.  

Overall, cryptocurrency will be able to take over the dollar if certain changes are implemented. Though, cryptocurrency is still not without its problems and is still a risky investment, but can give a big payout. So with that knowledge, people are scared to take the bigger risks to receive the bigger reward, and if risks aren’t taken then you will never see the fruits of your actions.


The author's comments:

I am currently an 8th grade student and has made over 200 dollars in cryptocurrency.