The Flip-Flop Generation | Teen Ink

The Flip-Flop Generation

May 5, 2010
By Christy PLATINUM, Arden Hills, Minnesota
Christy PLATINUM, Arden Hills, Minnesota
23 articles 18 photos 31 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Happiness is not a destination, but a way of travel."


Aching feet: it sounds like one of those middle-aged problems.These days, though, its not. According to podiatrists across the country, there has been a huge increase in young teens complaining about foot pain. The reason? Flip-flops.
Scientists found that flip-flops, though fashionable now, can lead to many long-term health problems. Flip-flops lead to a change in gait that, when taking over 10,000 steps a day, can add up to a serious injury. Flat shoes give no foot support, cause an awkward change in gait, strain the Achilles tendon, and stretch the calf muscle. Pain can start developing in under two weeks.

“Flip-flops were never meant to be everyday shoes,” says Crane, a spokeswoman for the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. “They were meant to be worn from the locker room to the pool and back.”
So next time you’re considering donning a pair of flip flops to school, ask yourself this question. Do you want to be the only teen hobbling around like an old lady? Or do you want to have comfortable shoes and comfortable feet? Remember, its not fashionable wearing a foot splint all summer.