Crossing Over to the Dark Side.....and Back Again | Teen Ink

Crossing Over to the Dark Side.....and Back Again

By poppy_lin GOLD, Latrobe, Pennsylvania
poppy_lin GOLD, Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Nowadays all teen romances have some kind of supernatural being. It is all because of Twilight. (And The Vampire Diaries and other vampire/mystic-like creature novels) The usual, run-of-mill storyline: The immortal creature has a natural instinct of wanting to suck the blood of a lonely but curious girl. (who, in some cases is perpetually Goth or something of that kind) I know that the Twilight Sagas were really popular and all, but I am getting a tiny bit fed up with the concept of vampires and homely girls. I mean I was caught up in the boat of screaming Twilight fans, but now I have left that ship, yet memories of Edward, Jacob and Bella linger in my head.

Wait a second. Whatever happened to Jane Austen and the Bronte sisters? Ah, I know! Most girls think they are too traditional and boring for them. Yes they may be tedious and a bit confusing, but those are the kinds of books that will forever be curled in our hearts. Maybe. But the point is don’t lower your mind to only one type of romance. And just reading romance is narrow enough, why not try different genres of books?

Take Pride and Prejudice for example. Stephanie Meyers even said her inspirations for her hit series is because of those so-called “horrible” books, those wonderfully traditional romances. Elizabeth Bennett is forever in my heart trying to outsmart Mr. Darcy. The good thing about Ms. Meyers telling the public her inspiration for her hit series means Twi-hard fans would be interested to read the books that gave them the Twilight Sagas.

But classics are something you have to read if you want a great future. Not really, some will only read them if their English teachers force small dusty books toward them. But really, you’ll find that those books are somewhat of a delicacy. The other day, my other friend (not the brat) asked what Pride and Prejudice was about. She listened with interest about the twisted romance of Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennett. She said she loved the storyline, but she wouldn’t read it due to the traditional wording. This is made me want to throw a stiletto shoe at her face and also scream. I know, this is a temper problem that I need treatment for, but these kinds of attitudes make me very angry. (Note to the reader: I don’t have any heels, if you want to exclude high tops)

So next before you grab greedily at a new immortal romance, just peek over at the classic section. You might be pleasantly surprised or just evenly revolted. It’s just your own choice.

just a little heads-up about the different books girls should read. not all girls are like this though!

cheers!

poppy_lin GOLD said...
poppy_lin GOLD, Latrobe, Pennsylvania

thanks for commenting!

the craze of "twilight" is wearing off, but something else is bound to come up. but if girls just are exposed more to traditional literature, maybe they'll like it.

cheers!

Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia

"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran

I'm not one for teen romance novels, but I thought this was an interesting article. Indeed, I'm extremely fed up with Twilight and all of the works that have come out of it. I am, however, one for traditional literature.