High School, it's time you start thinking about me | Teen Ink

High School, it's time you start thinking about me

February 24, 2019
By deepikasahoo BRONZE, Fairfax, Virginia
deepikasahoo BRONZE, Fairfax, Virginia
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We have to give love to the people who we think deserve it the least" -Aaron Stark


The minutes drag on in Mrs. Shackelford’s Calculus class as students grumble about the six-page problem set assigned for the evening’s homework. We collectively work on chiseling a minuscule dent in the massive series of integrals and differential equations. Eventually, the inevitable  happens: the laboring minds want liberation, demanding to know why this even matters. Even though the future engineers of the world can justify the class (calculus = magic), the prospective psychology and political science majors continue to quarrel over the dispensable nature of the problems in front of them. However, in spite of irritation, the looming specter of College Admissions standards impels the room to return to their tasks and complete the assigned work.

STEM vs. humanities - a persistent debate that should define my future, yet I remain wildly undecided, waiting until passion greets me, but until then, I will explore the possibilities. For sure, most schools have a wide range of courses to select from, with new options continuously introduced as interest is shown and acknowledged. However, to meet the demands of college readiness, their curriculum is strictly controlled. If their mission is to prepare students for college and careers, high schools must understand that a regimented program of study cannot always meet the requirements of varying and moving college and career preparation targets. High school should give students the chance to take their time and develop interests, relatively risk-free. Mandating core academics is a necessity for students to sample available options, but leaving a generally open curriculum for exploration, is crucial for personal development.

Schools can and should adapt characteristics of academic course offerings to satisfy the aspirations and needs of their students. Several high schools currently require certain classes for students to earn their degree and fit a “portrait of a graduate,” as determined by their school system. However, to enhance the educational experience of the student body, schools can eliminate certain required courses. Health and Physical Education is championed by many groups to expand coverage of student’s corporal health, and meet state-mandated youth health standards. Career and Technical Education courses are frequently listed as a necessity for earning a diploma. These courses entail training and industry-certification of developing technical workers. While schools are encouraging physical well-being and exposure to a variety of career options, several students are missing out on opportunities to further more applicable scholastic endeavors of their choosing. This raises the question of whether imposing excessive required courses is helpful or detrimental to academics. Schools must continue to offer choices reflecting societal changes, and students reserve the right to choose what they deem beneficial.

Oftentimes, a “challenging” or “manageable” course-load is restricted to suit the median among the masses. Graduation has become a struggle for many of my peers as they try to juggle exploring classes of interest and/or earning college credit. Some students are compelled to take courses online, while others resort to dreaded summer school programs. This is attributed to growing pressures to fulfill the needs of two instructional institutions—high school and college. Just as admission into well-rated universities across the country grows more unattainable, high schools are raising their own learning standards and goals for individuals. While more classes and more learning seems to be exactly what makes students better educated, it may only be adding to the stress that characterizes many of America's high schools today. By diminishing unfavorable required courses, high schools will offer students more opportunities to pursue genuine interests. This has the widespread potential to alleviate academically-induced mental health problems. As students forced to submit to school expectations, they gradually lose appreciation for education.

High schools aim to produce a graduate class of individuals qualified to join the workforce and/or pursue post-secondary education. They want to create scholars capable of thriving in society, but is there any focus on fostering ambition and interest in probable career paths? Is there guidance available in schools geared toward advising individuals whose decisions stray from the beaten path? Are schools helping create awareness of all the options available for students? Unfortunately, receiving an education does not guarantee ineffable knowledge of purpose and passion. However, schools are capable of offering more than they currently do by providing students with career and college preparatory guidance, thereby supporting academic achievement. If counselors focus their aim on student success past high school rather than in high school, they will make a greater difference in the lives of students.

Former US Secretary of Education Arne Duncan said, "education is an investment, and one of the most critical investments we can make,” believing individuals must take advantage of any available opportunities to succeed. Education in school systems is powerful, in spite of its deficits, in providing students with exposure to their future potential. Schools require several courses that may be unappealing, but in the end, obtaining holistic instruction is key to being a well-educated individual. My parents have always stressed being open to learning, deeming it crucial to being an active citizen and a productive member of society. Maybe I have only skimmed the surface, but at least I have been exposed to an array of choices.

I have the rest of my life to traverse the depths of a certain occupation, but for now I will take my time to try and enjoy every moment spent at school, even if it means trudging through the mile during gym class and spending my summers racking up credit in an “Introduction to Photography” course to satisfy a fine arts requirement. It is shockingly easy to envision going forth into a world we know so little about. We will have to fight for our own comfort, and will not always have the outstretched arm of high school on which to hold. As I near the end of my junior year, I am learning that the guidance I have received was never enough, but I have been fortunate to have family and friends who know the system inside out. Horace Mann said, “education is the great equalizer,” but for it to continue bearing the fruit of knowledge that we so graciously indulge, we the students must be the ones nurturing its roots, not solely our high schools.


The author's comments:

Sorry high school, you aren't perfect.