Masks | Teen Ink

Masks

By gonefishing006 BRONZE, Livermore, California
gonefishing006 BRONZE, Livermore, California

Masks, they are a different face that we all choose to wear, but it hides who you really are. Some hide the terrible person within, some hide the sadness, anger, or even happiness. Though some take off their masks, others keep their masks on. It seems like some kind of hope that the mask they wear will become the person beneath. That the person beneath will just disappear and never come back, but no matter how hard we all try… the person beneath will always stay there…. Haunting you until you realize, you can't get rid of that side of you. You can't change your entire self. Sure now you can “change how you look.” THAT'S A TRICK, YOU CAN’T. Even if you got plastic surgery, you are still underneath… begging to be free, begging to show that you don’t have to change. By the time you realize that, it's too late, you’ve already changed yourself. Then you just put a new mask on…..

Have you ever had a bad day at school or work, or just a bad day in general, if you answered no then your a liar. (All you did by lying is put on another mask and prove my point.). When you go home or when you are out with friends or family, they might ask how your day was (which if you were paying attention you were having a bad day that day) you wouldn’t tell them your day was terrible (unless you are completely honest in that case go you!) you would say it was “fine” or “Ok” but underneath that mask you wear, you want to scream that it was terrible. That's the thing about masks, they are hard to take off the longer they are on. They are trying to take you over and destroy you from within. Now I don't know that much about boxing, but I do know that you hit hard and fast. (but don't quote me on that, the closest i've ever been to boxing is Rocky (which was playing in a classroom of 5th graders so I didn't hear much))

Ever worn like 5 layers or more of clothing (DONT ITS HOT AND SWEATY NO MATTER HOW COLD IT IS!!) that’s like the different masks you wear, it just keeps piling up, making you more and more uncomfortable. Sooner or later you take off the layers of clothing till you have one, your original top, the original you… at first your scared of what people will think about the top you're wearing. If You just say “I don’t care what others think” that’s another both mask and lie. As a human being, we care about what others think of us. Then you realize it actually doesn't matter what they think, if they judge, then you just saw the original them or one of their layers. (you know that you rocked that top though) The thing thats so interesting about layers, is that the more you put on, the more the original part of you changes, it makes it harder to go back. We all know it's easier to go forward then backwards, right? WRONG (sorry little dramatic) theres another option, stay put, stay yourself, you don’t have to change to be happy. Take off the mask and reveal the person within.

My name is Mikayla; I'm almost 14 and I love to write. I've been into writting since I was 12 years old. I was inspired to write this when I started to look around and actually notice how much people hide themselves. How they put their masks on until they are forced to take them off, revealing the person within.