Is It My Fault I Dance Like That? | Teen Ink

Is It My Fault I Dance Like That?

May 19, 2009
By Ashley Emanuel BRONZE, Valdosta, Georgia
Ashley Emanuel BRONZE, Valdosta, Georgia
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dancing has always been a major part of American culture because it shapes the way we dress and ultimately how we carry ourselves. Dancing began as a way to have fun at parties-very conservative and nothing too racy. However, today’s dancing might as well have a big censored sign over it. With girls jacking their skirts up, and wrapping their legs around the guys, there’s no wonder why we have so many teen pregnancies today.

Most parents would say “hey, kids will be kids” or “we can’t shelter them for long, they have to grow up,” but what happens when they grow up too fast? Teachers chaperone high school proms and are practically watching a X-rated movie. This “dirty dancing” is the product of the very open promiscuity found in teen music. Songs from the past talked about peace in time of war, finding true love, and other musical inclinations; however, some songs today guys have to listen to with a condom on due to their vulgarity.

Don’t believe me? Take rapper “Plies” for example: In his remix to a popular song, “Bed,” Plies literally creates a sex scene in the mind of anyone listening. Plies explains what he is telling his girlfriend in the first verse:
“I’ve been feining for her, I couldn’t touch her all week …I told her get naked and be waiting on top of the sheets, I wanted her so bad, when I seen here I ain’t have time to speak…..I told her over my shoulders is where I wanted to see her feet…..I put a pillow behind the headboard so it wouldn’t squeak and put her hands ‘round my waist and told her push me deep….I told her Ima work her tonight ‘till she don’t eat…I can feel her nails in my back that’s how I know I’m beating..I feel her wetness on chest, and I’m the reason….”
Now, any “concerned” parent would be in complete shock after the first sentence, but a good majority would look at it as no big deal because “we were all teens once before.”

So how do we stop promiscuous dancing/music from destroying the next generation? Let’s start by punishing Hollywood, by forcing them to stop depicting teen girls as easy game for horny guys. Guys must wear loosely fitted shirts, preferably long sleeved, not to expose any of the chest area. Girls must adopt the Nun attire, so that curves of any kind would not be noticeable. Next lets segregate parties/dances with girls in one and guys in the other. There is sure to be no grinding or dirty dancing there. This will also put an end to any sexual urges and would be more favorable to the homosexual community. Teens would be required to take a social graces class to avoid any PDA or outbursts of hormones. To fight off urges, a punishment obstacle course will be established complete with a track, tire jump, and mountain climb. To condemn even further, teen mothers would be banished to Timbuktu to spend the rest of their lives.

Dancing should not be a sex taboo but a way to release energy and just have fun. Keeping dancing at a sensible level, where everybody is respected and no one is disrespected in any shape, form, or manner will keep everyone happy and out of our hair. It could possibly lower the teen pregnancy rate, and give moral value to the sexes. An Internet Poll stated, “Dancing has stretched society’s definition of decency” and honestly it has been like this since Elvis took the stage. So, jumping down teens’ throats about dancing is not the answer when Hollywood is the blame.

The author's comments:
This is a satire I wrote for my English class on the issue of "Dirty Dancing".