Living Up To The Asian Standard | Teen Ink

Living Up To The Asian Standard

April 9, 2021
By Gigi_1230 SILVER, New York City, New York
Gigi_1230 SILVER, New York City, New York
8 articles 0 photos 2 comments

           Living up to the asian standard. That is one way to describe my life in six words. There are many stereotypes, comments, standards, and expectations for asians. Here are some main ones.

          Small eyes. In current times, there is a prolonging stereotype that all asians have small eyes. Actually, I have heard from my own sister that I have the "asian eye". I guess it is a relief that I'm not different; that I'm not the odd one out or the outcast. As relieving as it may be, I would really rather not be recognized for my eyes. But hey, life is... well life, so live it for you.

          Good grades. You obviously don't know this, but one of my friends once told me I should know the answer to his question because I'm asian. Well, guess what! He is now my bestfriend. Why? Opposites attract. He's always been the procrastinating bestfriend who doesn't do work. I've been the dutiful bestfriend with high grades. We bring out sides of each other that balance each other out, kind of like other halves.

          My entire life, dedicated to my studies. You could say it's my fault, but I had a reason. I was simply living up to the asian standard.


The author's comments:

This article was mainly centered around my opinions and experiences. So you could say it hit home for me.