My Experience with Society (AKA The Teen Years) Written by a teen dancer | Teen Ink

My Experience with Society (AKA The Teen Years) Written by a teen dancer

By Dancingintheclouds BRONZE, Orlando, Florida
Dancingintheclouds BRONZE, Orlando, Florida

"Why fit in when you were born to stand out?" Dr. Suess

I have this fear, of losing everything. I have lost people, items and thoughts so many times that everything I have in my life now is too precious to let go of. I know it’s a fear that many people have, I have always felt this way…you see as soon as something becomes part of my life I need to see it out until “The end”. I am not someone who would just give up on something, I will keep trying and trying until I get something right. I am human…I get frustrated, but everyone does, I won’t give up even if I am frustrated.

I love dancing, it has been a part of me since I was 5 years old, yes I am not the best, but I will try just as hard as the “Best dancers” will. The dancer world is a great representation of today’s society. There are the “perfect” dancers who everyone wants to be, or look like. There are the ones who think they are already perfect and act it. There are the ones who look down at themselves and say, “I’ll never be good at dancing”. This basically describes the categories of society.

Just like society dance has a certain body type that everyone wishes to have and wishes to be. A famous ballet dancer named Misty Copeland, who was told she had the wrong body for ballet this, tore her apart…especially at the age of thirteen. I look at Misty Copeland as an inspiration; she went above the standards to make her dream come true. I have learned, it doesn’t matter if you are thick boned or thin…you are beautiful and you can do anything you put you heart into.

I have also learned that I am going to fall but; I will keep on getting up and trying again. Some days I feel like I don’t belong, like I am sticking out like a sore thumb, and I have to remind myself that its not about “fitting in” but about standing out. A wise man once said, “Why try to fit in when you were born to stand out.” His name is Dr. Seuss, and we all know that he was a peculiar man and that he had a wild imagination. To make it even more impressive, Dr. Seuss’ name still lives along with his wonderful books I have grown up with.

I am 16 years old, I am no longer a child but nor am I an adult. This in-between stage is awkward and quiet annoying at times, but it can be known as “fun”. Since I was 11 (Pre-teen) I have been bullied. It’s never okay to be bullied but I feel like the bullies have molded me to be stronger. I am still bullied to this day, you know the saying “Sticks and stones break my bones but words will never hurt me?” this saying hurts my teeth like candy on a cavity. Words hurt. I am trying really hard to keep my head up and my relevé even higher.

Remember how I said words hurt? This is because words are extremely powerful and can leave effects on people lives. 26 letters in the alphabet, 5 vowels (sometimes 6) and 21 (or 20) consonants mixed together made into interesting things we call words. Society causes rumors to be spread, talking behind people’s backs and not working together as a team. Words like hate, ugly, fat, stupid, mean, invisible and so many more can cause pain. I am tired of this bullying, and I want to prove that we “in-betweeners” are people too… and we have rights.

I have been bullied for a long time and feel like society is to blame. What do you think? Think we can change the world?

Hey! Let me know what you guys think?

HammadWaseem said...
HammadWaseem, Lahore, Other

Be proud of who you are.
-Eminem

You can't see me
-John Cena

Ooh, somebody stop me!
-Mask

nice! btw will you check and comment on my work? TeenInk.com/video/dancing/114206/The-Unbeatable-Breakdancer @Dancingintheclouds