Video Games Don't Make People More Violent | Teen Ink

Video Games Don't Make People More Violent

November 17, 2015
By FinnLeonardJarrettHudson BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
FinnLeonardJarrettHudson BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Video games do not make people more violent. Throughout the years, many children around the age of 13 or older, have committed the violent crime of murder and when this happens, the media turns attention to one subject, video games. Video games have been a reason for murder since 2003, when a 16-year-old boy was charged with aggravated murder, which he pleaded insanity to an obsession with Grand Theft Auto 3. It’s ever since this murder that the media has tried to find someway to tie a murder to video games, some parents have even gone out their way to try and ban all video games, and even try to shut down all companies that produce video games.

 

It is not the video games that make the people more violent. The one thing that is usually looked over by not only the media, but the cops that get involved in the case, is if the person who has committed the murder has any type of mental illness. Even when a parent is asked if the child had any type of mental illness, they do not tell the cops because they don’t want their child to be categorized as a psychopath. The media doesn’t even ask the question, “does this person have a mental illness”, and when they don’t, people are convinced that video games just cause people to become more violent, and go on a psychopathic murdering spree because of games such as Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, Halo, Saints Row, or any other video games rated M for Mature.

 

Video games work as an escape from the real world. The violent video games that seem to cause more violence in people, actually reduce the violence. In the real world, we know the difference between what’s right and what’s wrong. We know that we can go to jail if we murder someone and break the law. It’s in the video game world, where none of that matters. In Grand Theft Auto, you are allowed to do whatever you want. Though cops will come after you in the game, you can kill as many people as you want, and it never stops. Not only that, but anyone that has had a murderous thought, can release that onto the game and not commit the crime and go to jail. It’s because of this that video games do not make people more violent.