Should Certain Books Be Banned? | Teen Ink

Should Certain Books Be Banned?

January 21, 2017
By ChristineOnwenu GOLD, Detroit, Michigan
ChristineOnwenu GOLD, Detroit, Michigan
18 articles 33 photos 2 comments

I believe that this isn’t fair. I am a teenager and there is all this allocution a part of parents about whether their adolescent should be able to apprehend this or that. By the time your child is a teenager; he or she is exploring the apple and advancing beyond all kinds of arguable topics. As a parent, you charge to acquire the actuality that no amount what, your adolescent will one day apprentice about all of these topics, afterwards all, you apperceive about them. Prolonging the eon of benightedness and aboveboard chastity will do annihilation for kids in the continued run. These capacity are discussed in abounding classes and by sheltering children, you are akin their ability and which could aggregate as abbreviating the abandon of speech. Already your adolescent is completing abundant to not be so calmly afflicted by these "inappropriate" books, there should not be an issue. Just because your adolescence is not complete abundant to apprehend some books does not beggarly that you accept any appropriate at all to bind the account of abounding added acceptance that are complete enough. It is absolutely abstract to try and ascendancy the ambiance that accouchement resides in. If it agency that abundant to you that your adolescent is not apparent to any affectionate of controversial, affecting or adamant actual for abounding years to come, I would advance ambidextrous with it alone amid you and your family. You accept no appropriate to yield abroad admired account actual from added acceptance who artlessly wishes to apprentice from these belief and yield abroad ability about the apple as it is now or how it already was in the past. All the agitated or challenged things in this apple will appear to ablaze for anybody and assuming they are not there or aggravating to abolish them instead of all-embracing them and acquirements from them to attending advanced for a bigger approaching is not the answer. Our opinions depict our actions. Some of the greatest humans on this apple accept looked at their ambiance and formed their own opinions adjoin society. To be our own alone people, we have to betrayal ourselves to these things and anticipate for ourselves. We have to face the things that alarm us and instead of ambuscade from them ascent up to defeat them.

Censorship is ludicrous. Nearly every country places bans on books they accept to be atrocious in some manner. Governments accepted to abridge books that they perceive to be embarrassing, criticizing, or abusing them. Throughout history, religious scriptures accept been banned or censored in several cities and countries. This conveyance has somewhat beneath in autonomous civilizations, but abstract is still threatened. For instance, according to a Tumblr post by Matthew Aid, Denmark’s PET Intelligence Agency Stops Book by Ex-Boss, One of Denmark’s best selling newspaper company says the country’s intelligence bureau has been accepted an admonition adjoin the tabloid’s affairs to broadcast excerpts of a banned book based on interviews of its former chief, Jakob Scharf. PET said it had not apparent an archetype of the book but argued that it could accommodate secrets. I find it very peculiar that Denmark’s Security and Intelligence Service decrees what the columnists should publish. Their prescription is unnecessary because it seems to me that PET is confiding in critical information—relevant criminality with the intention of keeping top secret information from the world i.e. criminal accusations—because it would impair their reputation. And since Denmark’s Security and Intelligence Agency didn’t read the transcript of the interview, it doesn’t make sense to ban the text. Book censorship doesn’t just happen in Denmark this occurs in other regimes as well.


In South Africa in July 1979, Burger’s Daughter by Nadine Gordimer, was banned for going against the government's racial policies; the ban was reversed in October of the same year. In the Netherlands, The Cover-up General by Edwin Gultay, was banned by court order in 2015 as a former spy of Dutch military intelligence claimed she was described falsely in this Srebrenica book. Ban lifted by the Court of Appeal of The Hague in 2016. On December 20, 2006, the government of Pakistan announced a ban on Spencer's book, The Truth About Mohammed, citing "objectionable material" as the cause. Droll Stories by Honore de Balzac banned for obscenity in Canada in 1914 and Ireland in 1953. The ban was lifted in Ireland in 1967. The First Amendment of the Constitution guarantees our apposite to uninhibited speech, which includes the permitted to apprehend and address books that the viewer’s discretion is advised by some to be too violent, hateful, or offensive. Because this abandon is one of our axiological rights as Americans, some humans feel that any anatomy of censorship is wrong. Most individuals’ abatement about in the middle, assertive that people should be sanctioned to apprehend whatever they choose, but that in some attenuate instances censorship is acceptable.


I proclaim that books acquire amazing ideas. One of the greatest adeptness my parents gave me is the allowance of books and the adeptness to apprehend whatever I like. Kids should be able to be advanced to all books. No book deserves to be silenced. Even if it is, that will not stop us. We'll buy the banned book at a bookshop. Humans who ban books are like humans on diets who get mad at anyone for bistro a doughnut. It doesn't affect you; if you don't like it, then don't apprehend it but do not yield the abandon of account abroad from humans who adulation to read.


The alone acumen people wish certain books banned because they are abashed of the account bidding in them. Books are an adventitious for your apperception to aberrate and for you to try and acquire a new idea, if alone for a little while, so if someone wishes to ban books like Slaughterhouse-Five or Harry Potter, they wish to accomplish abiding their accouchement wouldn't go into cerebration to these "un-Christian" thoughts. If you're searching for a book to ban, how about the Bible?! It has bags of killing, sex, and violence! Thomas Paine once said, “Whenever we read the cruel and tortuous executions, the unrelenting and vindictiveness with which more than half the Bible is filled, it would be more consistent that we call it the word of a demon than the word of God. It is a history of wickedness that has served to corrupt and brutalize humankind. And, for my own part, I sincerely detest it, as I detest everything that is cruel.”


Example 1, Hosea verse 13 chapter 16: Samaria shall bear her guilt, because she has rebelled against her God; they shall fall by the sword, their little ones shall be dashed in pieces, and their pregnant women ripped open. Example 2, 1 Samuel chapter 15 verses 3 and 8: Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.’ ” … He took Agag king of the Amalekites alive, and all his people he totally destroyed with the sword. Example 3 Deuteronomy chapter 3 verses 3-6: So the LORD our God delivered Og also, king of Bashan, with all his people into our hand, and we smote them until no survivor was left. We captured all his cities at that time; there was not a city which we did not take from them: sixty cities, all the region of Argob, the kingdom of Og in Bashan. All these were cities fortified with high walls, gates and bars, besides a great many unwalled towns. We utterly destroyed them, as we did to Sihon king of Heshbon, utterly destroying the men, women and children of every city.


Banning books is about an adjustment to assure youth's innocence, but actually it's just careful parents abominably alienated their kids' address to affairs that accomplish them uncomfortable. Not alone is it selfish, but it as well jeopardizes their all-embracing education. Homosexuality and added arguable issues is an allotment of accustomed life and for anyone to attack to abridge such capacity from adolescent association is actually ridiculous. These issues are annihilation but aberrant and censoring them alone shows abridgement of account and prejudice. Just because one accumulation of humans feels afflictive with an assertive accountable does not in any way beggarly it should be belted from anybody else.


You shouldn't assure humans from reality. Just because anyone abroad has an altered assessment than you don’t beggarly you can bandy out their idea. Humans should apprentice to be added open-minded! Also, books are our best teachers. They advise us history, compassion, amusing skills, vocabulary, new means of thinking, and an actor added things to be mentioned. Books say things altruism needs to hear. They accomplish a point, advise a moral, and affect us. You can't ban books. It would be about the affliction affair ever!


Many kids do not adore account and alone apprehend if they are affected to, however, they yield contentment in added types of books or series. As for instance, the "Percy Jackson" alternation wills abduction abounding reader’s attention, due to action in the book. However, this action will still not be abundant to angle some readers. Abounding comic/manga/anime books angle a massive bulk of people. If a book gets a being who does not like to read, reading, again so be it. Kids should be able to apprehend what they want. Some agreeable may be inappropriate for some ages, but not for others, it is not fair to yield abroad these books for the added mature/older kids. I as well generally feel that kid’s ability is abundantly underestimated by both association and parents. Abounding would allocate all children of an age according in maturity, but the accuracy is all kids accept altered ability levels. Another affair is that abounding humans accede the ability of a 5 or 6 year old that of an 11 or 12 year old cerebration that "of their just kids, there's no difference" but there is, so one ability akin will be altered from the rest, acceptation that they may be able to apprehend these added complete books.


Kids or their parents should accept the abandon to adjudge for themselves, and shouldn't accept others' viewpoints imposed on them. Not every book is appropriate for every person, but accouterment an advanced ambit of account choices is basic for learning, exploration, and imagination. The abilities to read, speak, think, and communicate our opinions advisedly are amount to American values.