Jesus who? | Teen Ink

Jesus who?

April 6, 2010
By fiction77 BRONZE, St. John&#39s, Other
fiction77 BRONZE, St. John&#39s, Other
2 articles 0 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
Lionel Hutz: This is the greatest case of false advertising I’ve seen since I sued the end of the movie “The Never Ending Story.”


The Darwin awards or the Bibile? Creationism or Evolution? Which book does modern youth enjoy more? Which theory do they believe in and respect? Modern youth are following a general trend toward science and technology and away from the holy trinity. The technology wave has created things such as the ipod and insulin whereas religion, more specifically the Chatholic church, has remained obsolete and has not evolved from what it once was. Science has also answered age old questions that religioned never dared fathom such as the history of the world and the human genetic code. Religion is based on the fact that an omnipotent and benevolent being is watching over us and knows the answers to everything in the world. Science has proved the existance of DNA whereas Catholics are content to believe in God, who is debatably a fictional character. Youth of our era would rather spend a morning in front of the computer then in church. Is this a bad thing?
Although science has advanced our society beyong imagine it is also the source of most of our trouble. Science has devided the world. Everhyone is connected but only a rare few are really together. Today's generation comunicates through email and electronics whereas religion promotes unity in person. Science has ripped nations apart with the creation of weapons whereas religion promotes the old saying : do unto others as you would have them do unto you. The Catholic church promotes faith and accountability towards God. Science promotes progress with an optional consideration for ethics and morals. Science is cool and dangerous. Religion is old and boring. Youth love science and find religion dull. Can you blame them?


The author's comments:
I'm reading the book Angels and Demons by Dan Brown and there is a strong religion vs science undertone. This prompted me to write this.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 107 comments.


on Oct. 11 2015 at 3:19 pm
WhatOnceWas SILVER, Kirkland, Washington
6 articles 0 photos 23 comments
I find it ironic that you're angry about the author's spelling, yet your grammar isn't the best, either.

on Oct. 11 2015 at 3:17 pm
WhatOnceWas SILVER, Kirkland, Washington
6 articles 0 photos 23 comments
The author wasn't insulting you, they were stating an opinion.

Shadow878 GOLD said...
on Oct. 28 2012 at 1:38 pm
Shadow878 GOLD, Marion, Indiana
10 articles 0 photos 32 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 18:3

"Do not pray for easy lives, pray to be stronger men." JFK

“Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.”Albert Einstein

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else."
C. S. Lewis

"A young man who wishes to remain a sound atheist cannot be too careful of his reading."
C. S. Lewis

"Anyone who doesn’t believe in miracles is not a realist."
David Ben-Gurion

"An eye for an eye makes the world go blind" Gandi

I'd like to say the same thing goes for protestants.

on Sep. 11 2012 at 11:38 pm
StarryRoss GOLD, Albuquerque, New Mexico
19 articles 0 photos 30 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Writing is the socially acceptable form of schizophrenia." -E.L. Doctorow

One more thing, Catholics ARE NOT Creationists! REALLY?! According to Catholicism (its fine if you're not, I'm just saying that's what the author said in this article), the Bible is meant to be taken figuratively. It has moral, religious, and spiritual truths and is not a science or history text book. GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT IF YOU WANT TO INSULT US. PLEASE.

on Sep. 11 2012 at 11:35 pm
StarryRoss GOLD, Albuquerque, New Mexico
19 articles 0 photos 30 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Writing is the socially acceptable form of schizophrenia." -E.L. Doctorow

Geez, I have a bit of issues with this article. First of all, if you want people to really respect your viewpoint and take you seriously, please check your spelling. Please. Secondly, you have a view against Catholicism specifically, but then you almost seem to defend it in the end. Clarify that. Thirdly, the Catholic Church is NOT endorsing not learning, or 'being boring,' or any of the ludicrous things you said. Perhaps they did in the Renaissance era, or the Inquisition, or when the Enlightenment was taking place BUT NOT ANYMORE. I am a Catholic, a very well learned one who knows every dang fact you might want to know about any part of our beliefs, and i beg of you, if you want to bash us, get your facts straight. I also read the Da Vinci Code and found it to be entertaining, i look forward to the second. Catholics are not against reason and science; it goes hand in hand. You can't possibly try to denounce something you know nothing about. Its like a five year old trying to say the idea of atoms is stupid.

on Jul. 10 2012 at 8:07 pm
BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
2 articles 5 photos 254 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control."

ThereIsAHeaven: Science corrupts man's thinking? Are you serious? Please explain further, as I see no sense in that statement. Science is the observation and application of the functioning natural world. I don't see how seeing the world for what it is corrupts our thinking. 

Mtizzle: Yes, that is one of the great paradoxes of that whole mess. There is even a specific passage in the bible where "God" says 'I create evil'. And read the Book of Job, a very sad and sadistic story. Yahweh basically makes a little bet with Satan this this guy Job will remain faithful no matter what, and he goes out to prove it to him. So 'God removes his protection' over Job, and allows Satan to kill his family, his livestock, take everything he has, and on top of that, I think he gave him severe boils or something. He was also ridiculed by his friends. So after a while, God is like "See? He's forever faithful! I win!" In compensation for all that Job has suffered, God grants him a whole bunch of camels or something, but doesn't bring his family back. 

In my book, if the devil's goal is to make people suffer, I think he really won the bet.


on May. 5 2012 at 12:07 pm
dancegirl13 BRONZE, Roslyn, Washington
1 article 0 photos 26 comments
Science may have ripped nations apart with the creations of weapons in more recent years. However, religion has been ripping apart nations for centuries and centuries through horrific wars over differing beliefs - something that humans should be able to respect and tolerate.

on Apr. 30 2012 at 4:31 pm
WSwilliams GOLD, Toronto, Ontario, Other
12 articles 3 photos 95 comments

Favorite Quote:
If you keep writing, you will pick up structure. You will pick up form

- Richard Matheson

Okay, let me start by asking you this. How did we get here? The bible provides us a clear representation of history. And many scientific advances have come from bible believing christians. It is better when science and religion work together. Also keep in mind that Dan Brown is a fiction author. He writes speculative fiction and is does not represent true catholic beliefs. 

on Jan. 20 2012 at 2:11 pm
TerraAnimusPatronus BRONZE, Eden, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 61 comments

Favorite Quote:
«You are either the best kept secret or just surrounded by blind people.»

im not atheist but if God created satan and he knows everything there was to be knows everything that is to happen why create Satan and sin and other things?

on Jan. 16 2012 at 7:19 pm
callie15 BRONZE, North Plains, Oregon
3 articles 21 photos 424 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I dreamed I was a butterfly, flitting around in the sky; then I awoke. Now I wonder: Am I a man who dreamt of being a butterfly, or am I a butterfly dreaming that I am a man?"
-Chuang Tzu

"No man with a good car needs to be justified!"
-Wise Blood

Sorry, technology

on Jan. 16 2012 at 7:19 pm
callie15 BRONZE, North Plains, Oregon
3 articles 21 photos 424 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I dreamed I was a butterfly, flitting around in the sky; then I awoke. Now I wonder: Am I a man who dreamt of being a butterfly, or am I a butterfly dreaming that I am a man?"
-Chuang Tzu

"No man with a good car needs to be justified!"
-Wise Blood

Hey, why single out the Catholics? We're not the only religion who promotes the faith. And I would have to disagree with your theory. I think that people of this day might not be as religious as a few decades ago, but it doesn't mean that they turn to science. I think people say that they are religious even if they're really not. For example, a side of my family claims that they're Catholics, but they do not go to church. I think society as a whole are reliant on tecnology, but I don't think they consider it their faith.

on Dec. 25 2011 at 10:03 pm
WriterA.M. PLATINUM, Denver, Colorado
40 articles 0 photos 58 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Ignore corruption and achieve perfection"- me

Isaac Newton.

on Dec. 25 2011 at 10:02 pm
WriterA.M. PLATINUM, Denver, Colorado
40 articles 0 photos 58 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Ignore corruption and achieve perfection"- me

Jesus is not a religion. ;)

on Dec. 25 2011 at 10:02 pm
WriterA.M. PLATINUM, Denver, Colorado
40 articles 0 photos 58 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Ignore corruption and achieve perfection"- me

Science is cool. My best subject. Religion is man's attempt to reach God. Jesus is the way to God, not religion. :) Isaac Newton was a gifted scientist, and a follower of Christ. Glory to God! :)

on Oct. 5 2011 at 6:12 pm
fiction77 BRONZE, St. John&#39s, Other
2 articles 0 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
Lionel Hutz: This is the greatest case of false advertising I’ve seen since I sued the end of the movie “The Never Ending Story.”

After having reread my article (slightly nonfactual I will admit) I can say that there are a few errors. My overall point was that what darwinism has brought forth as an alternative to christianity is much more appealing to me as I'm trying to discover our (mankind's) place in the world. The idea of natural selection is much more logical then what the bible and it's teachings have put forth. That being said, the fact that the christian church has been actively improving society (yes religion causes wars but I don't think ever as a goal) is a strong point in favor of its worth to society. The strong moral compass of the church is a great thing when we consider some of the ethical concerns that modern science has produced for us today (genetic enhancement ect.).What I said about computers is most definitely not based on fact but only my very narrow personal experience. In conclusion I would like to say that the progress-- and ability to consider new evidence in its search for knowledge-- that Darwinism has achieved and shown makes me think that other teens will see this as I have. The church, in my opinion, will become obsolete. Feel free to post your own opinions I enjoy reading them.

Cheers,

Fiction77


ambnyc SILVER said...
on Aug. 20 2011 at 10:20 pm
ambnyc SILVER, Rego Park, New York
6 articles 0 photos 133 comments

Favorite Quote:
You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. - Dr. Seuss

Or perhaps... More youth are turning towards science because it actually makes sense, as opposed to religion, which is hypocritical, full of bigotry and whatnot.

on Aug. 1 2011 at 6:16 pm
I never once said God corrupts, science corrupts man's thinking. 

on Aug. 1 2011 at 6:14 pm
I see the truth, but God does judge people (that's if you are talking to me).  

on Aug. 1 2011 at 2:52 pm
lyanndriel SILVER,
5 articles 0 photos 39 comments

God doesn't corrupt. Satan does. The reason why God lets evil exist is because we chose it. We chose evil. God is not a tryant. He won't force us to accept Him even though He is very real and alive and true.

Just like wind isn't see-able, doesn't mean it's not there.

Same for evil. We can see the effects but we can't see it, per say.

We can't really understand all of God; that would make us gods. But we know some about Him because of the world around us...why we don't fall off of the course around the sun...why we can stand on the ground safely without fear of drifting into space and dying instantly...why we can research for ourselves what is in the sky....Did you know no other place in the Milky Way is good enough for researching the planets and the stars like we can??????? IT'S AMAZING and I love it!!!

Don't believe me? You don't have to. I'd like for you to look for yourself. Stop letting the world tell you what to believe. Find out for yourself.


on Aug. 1 2011 at 2:46 pm
lyanndriel SILVER,
5 articles 0 photos 39 comments

I went to the Badlands in South Dakota and they had a bunch of monuments with glass boxes of missing link skulls and such, with a big description on top of each one. Then I learned that those skulls weren't totally found--certain elements were glued on to look like they were evolutionized. I was really mad when I found that out several weeks later....and I was thinking, how much of what is taught is really true?

Got me into some major thinking. And research. Check it out, everybody. Search, instead of blindly accepting everything--even what some guy in a long white coat and a PH degree on his lapel might say to you. It's just like the tabloids. Is it really facts, or information just the keep the public happy?

It helps to ask questions.