My Religion | Teen Ink

My Religion MAG

By Anonymous

I have a magnet on my mirror stating, “Life is not about finding yourself – life is about creating yourself.” This is the statement I live by.

Many people do not believe me when I say I am an atheist. They don’t understand that I simply do not believe in any sort of god or afterlife. I also do not believe in the devil, in angels, or in souls. I believe in myself and the strength I have gained through the help of my parents, teachers, and friends – and my own hard work.

I am not going to try to dissuade anyone from his or her own opinions either. I know that people enjoy having religion in their lives; some need their faith to help them through hard times. And some do not want the responsibility of their misfortunes weighing down on their shoulders.

I do. I abhor the idea of fate – that everything is already planned out and you have no control to change anything. If you believe in fate, when bad things happen, it is not your fault; it’s just fate. When my life is not going well, I know that it is no one’s fault but my own. When I do well in school, when I fall in love, it is not fate and we are not soul mates. I worked hard and paid attention and did the homework. My love and I simply love each other – that is all it is, and for me that is all it needs to be.

For some, life is overwhelming. How can anyone be successful and happy in such a difficult, horrible world? They need someone to help them, someone to guide them, and someone to have faith in to make sure things get better. Placing my success and happiness in another’s hands breaks my heart. I need to be successful because of my efforts. I must be responsible for my own happiness. That is what I need from my religion.

Who will ever know what the truth really is? All I know is in the same way that some have full faith and trust in God to give them hope, I need to believe I am on my own to be truly happy – for how can I create myself if I spend my entire life just looking?



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 764 comments.


TheDarthEgg said...
on Sep. 28 2009 at 4:25 pm
I'm sorry, but you could really do better than that. Why would a person (like myself) who denies the existence of God or Satan believe that they were under the influence of the latter? You could stand to provide evidence that we atheists are really devil's puppets, and please don't quote the Bible when you do.

Eliza.K BRONZE said...
on Sep. 27 2009 at 9:36 pm
Eliza.K BRONZE, Ridgefield, Connecticut
3 articles 0 photos 3 comments
Great article. Your argument was clear, and your points were well-established. It must have taken courage to post this on here, especially given the kinds of comments people have been posting about it...

I'm an agnostic, personally--there are just too many holes in the bible for me to accept it as a reasonable way to live my life. I really admire your point of view...I don't know if I'm quite confident enough to definitively say I'm an atheist. I was raised Jewish, and it's so culturally ingrained in me that it's been difficult to abandon it altogether. But I did love your essay.

Seriously, don't listen to the people who are only on here to try and promote their religion. This world would be so much easier if everyone could just live and let live =]

Thanks for a great article

Eliza

. said...
on Sep. 27 2009 at 6:51 pm
Well written! I am a former Roman Catholic and have recently become Wiccan, so it is easier for me to see things from your standpoint. To us, nature is divine, and we are responsible for ourselves. I like how you backed everything up with sound reasons, that you didn't just say "this is the way it is". Also, I love how you don't try to shove it down reader's throats like many others try to do. Excellent.

-Blessed Be!

+++ZERO+++

on Sep. 27 2009 at 2:51 pm
Inkspired PLATINUM, Whitby, Other
26 articles 0 photos 493 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If one will scoff at the study of language, how, save in terms of language, will one scoff?" - Mario Pei
"I write for the same reason I breathe - because if I didn't, I would die." Isaac Asimov

This is really well written, and very persuasive, even if you didn't mean it to be so. However, I believe in God. That makes dying seem just a tiny bit more hopeful.

DeeJayB GOLD said...
on Sep. 27 2009 at 10:30 am
DeeJayB GOLD, Sulphur, Louisiana
11 articles 0 photos 21 comments
oh yeah.. and i just reread your article.. about fate. That's what got me. I believe in fate absolutely... We are all fated to die, we are all fated to love, we are all fated to eventually fall asleep, right?? From the most meager things to the bigger aspects of life, there are things that are unchangeable. You may prolong it, hold it off, or avoid it, but eventually it will happen... Who is to say it cannot happen on a bigger or smaller scale than what we are capable of understanding?

DeeJayB GOLD said...
on Sep. 27 2009 at 10:22 am
DeeJayB GOLD, Sulphur, Louisiana
11 articles 0 photos 21 comments
This article had made me very sad to read... In an obstructive view I can definitely appreciate your writing style... As for my beliefs, I'll keep them hidden. But can you really blame Christians or Jews or Catholics for trying to help those that declare themselves 'lost' in their eyes?? It's the exact same thing as being in a situation where someone is trying to commit suicide and tell you not to help them. Would you do it anyway?? If it was someone you loved? In my opinion, it is a constructive thing to believe in someone or something beyond yourself... It gives your life more of a sense of purpose, really. Whatever you decide, thank you for opening my eyes, which have long been closed to God. Reading this article has reminded me of my duty. I am saying this in the most sincere and thankful way, without sarcasm or scorn whatsoever. I am only sixteen, and I don't know what would've happened without this article.

ACooke GOLD said...
on Sep. 27 2009 at 7:01 am
ACooke GOLD, Ihiohh, New Jersey
16 articles 0 photos 31 comments
mariella i think the fact that you can say how we probably get annoyed by it is good, but most Christians aren't like you. they believe that atheists are wrong and that's not true. we are not right nor are we wrong just like you guys. religion is all based on belief and until Christians can come up with solid proof that their beliefs are right, they're just going to have to understand that we just don't believe what they do. You have an open mind, but most don't. you christians might feel love and joy from "God" but we feel love and joy believing in ourselves

ACooke GOLD said...
on Sep. 27 2009 at 6:53 am
ACooke GOLD, Ihiohh, New Jersey
16 articles 0 photos 31 comments
finally someone who understands. i am also an atheist and i understand perfectly what you are saying. "God" didn't create me to be like this; I have created myself and every bisexual bone in my body. I'm proud of who I am and what I believe in and no one will be able to change my mind

Mariella said...
on Sep. 23 2009 at 6:00 pm
It is kind of funny how you say we don't have the right to tell you you need God, because, actually, that's our job. That's what God tells us to do. You don't see Atheists going around telling people God doesn't exists for a reason. We Christians (and I have said this several times before) FEEL God in our hearts and He has made incredible changes in us and other people. Christians are very passionate about God because they have felt His love and mercy and they care about others, so they want you to feel the joy, too. It may get annoying, but you have to understand, most of us have true hearts that just want to help. I'm sorry you have learned to dislike Christians because of this, but that doesn't stop us from praying for people like you, just to let you know. There are plenty of good arguments I could present to you for Christianity, but since you are so set in your beliefs I will just leave it at that.

SarahM said...
on Sep. 21 2009 at 2:54 pm
I think these are the contradictions Electricity was talking about: http://www.evilbible.com/Biblical%20Contradictions.htm

Mariella said...
on Sep. 21 2009 at 12:29 am
My Christian faith doesn't say that I have no control over my destiny. My God gave me and everyone else the choice to believe in Him, and He continues to give me choices that I can make which may affect my future. But my God knows what that future will hold and assures me that no matter what He will take care of me and I will eventually end up safe with Him. Therefore my purpose is to obey, love, and honor Him because He gave me life.

SarahM said...
on Sep. 20 2009 at 11:10 pm
I don't believe that everyone's purpose is to just live a short life and die. I believe that you have to create a purpose for yourself because it isn't just going to fall into your lap. I understand that some people need/want to have God in their lives, and maybe one day I will too, but the idea that I have no control over my destiny just makes me sad and angry, and that's not what religion is supposed to be like.

on Sep. 20 2009 at 7:55 pm
Carolina SILVER, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
8 articles 3 photos 32 comments
Sorry for calling you a snob, but it is a blessing to go to a private school.

on Sep. 20 2009 at 7:31 pm
Carolina SILVER, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
8 articles 3 photos 32 comments
The Bible was God inspired and is actually more reliable than other manusripts. For instance, take the Dead Sea scrolls. They were found in 1947 and they contain the entire Old Testament, with the exception of Esther, almost word for word with other manuscripts. The Bible is very accurate.

on Sep. 20 2009 at 2:56 pm
ShaynaPhelps SILVER, Minneapolis, Minnesota
7 articles 0 photos 25 comments
See its people like you who make me dislike Christians. What don't you get Atheists DO NOT believe in God and it is soo way beyond annoying when you are like "I understand and respect your believes............. but here is why I think your wrong and going to hell." I absolutley can not stand it when Christians do that! Christians have no right to go around everywhere and start telling me I need God in my life, even they are trying to be nice, stop trying to convert me to your religion, because it is not happening. You see I actually do respect your believes and so I am not sitting here telling you God doesn't exist, so stop telling me God does exist. For you He is there, for me He is a good story. And no I am not going to hell for saying that, because I don't believe Hell exists.

Chrissy_L GOLD said...
on Sep. 18 2009 at 8:48 pm
Chrissy_L GOLD, Ramsey, New Jersey
13 articles 0 photos 66 comments

Favorite Quote:
An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.

Sarah,

I, too, am an Atheist. (As you may know from my previous posts.) If you want to talk with like-minded people, i suggest visiting www.richarddawkins.net

The forums there have many great topics and I have started one myself called "Child Atheists" Anyone is free to check it out.

on Sep. 18 2009 at 11:39 am
Ren-P. PLATINUM, Tulsa, Oklahoma
21 articles 18 photos 45 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You must give up a life you’d planned in order to have the life that’s waiting for you." ~ Joseph Campbell

This is a great article! I like that you are willing to say who you are even if people might not agree. I have to ask though, have you ever tried going to a Unitarian Universalist Church. You would probably fit in great there, as there are people of all religions (Atheists, Agnostics, Christins, etc).

Mariella said...
on Sep. 17 2009 at 11:44 pm
Leanne B....
Christians know Jesus exists because we can feel him. He's changed lives. I know it sounds stupid, but don't judge him until you've felt him. Maybe if you would just open your heart...
Also, of course God is a mystery but so is the world. It's your own choice.

Mariella said...
on Sep. 17 2009 at 11:31 pm
This was well-written. But sad. I am in no way going to suggest you go to church if you've already tried, but instead I'll pray for you for God can work a miracle in your heart. If everyone's purpose is to just live a short life then die happy, there is no purpose at all. Maybe one day you'll get it. God bless :]

Nostrajesus said...
on Sep. 4 2009 at 11:27 am
Nostrajesus, Rayville, Louisiana
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments
Keep up the good fight for your beliefs.

Nostrajesus.