My Religion | Teen Ink

My Religion MAG

By Anonymous

I have a magnet on my mirror stating, “Life is not about finding yourself – life is about creating yourself.” This is the statement I live by.

Many people do not believe me when I say I am an atheist. They don’t understand that I simply do not believe in any sort of god or afterlife. I also do not believe in the devil, in angels, or in souls. I believe in myself and the strength I have gained through the help of my parents, teachers, and friends – and my own hard work.

I am not going to try to dissuade anyone from his or her own opinions either. I know that people enjoy having religion in their lives; some need their faith to help them through hard times. And some do not want the responsibility of their misfortunes weighing down on their shoulders.

I do. I abhor the idea of fate – that everything is already planned out and you have no control to change anything. If you believe in fate, when bad things happen, it is not your fault; it’s just fate. When my life is not going well, I know that it is no one’s fault but my own. When I do well in school, when I fall in love, it is not fate and we are not soul mates. I worked hard and paid attention and did the homework. My love and I simply love each other – that is all it is, and for me that is all it needs to be.

For some, life is overwhelming. How can anyone be successful and happy in such a difficult, horrible world? They need someone to help them, someone to guide them, and someone to have faith in to make sure things get better. Placing my success and happiness in another’s hands breaks my heart. I need to be successful because of my efforts. I must be responsible for my own happiness. That is what I need from my religion.

Who will ever know what the truth really is? All I know is in the same way that some have full faith and trust in God to give them hope, I need to believe I am on my own to be truly happy – for how can I create myself if I spend my entire life just looking?



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 764 comments.


BethA GOLD said...
on Oct. 19 2009 at 11:49 pm
BethA GOLD, Ballarat, Other
15 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
God gives with one and takes with another.

You Jesus, God, woop di do, la di da people annoy me, honestly. Leave this writer alone! This is her opinion and how she feels. It doesn't matter if she does not believe in the Lord or anything religious, the positive side to this is that she believes in herself. I think that we can thank her for believing in the biggest thing of all. Her article is extremely well written and is a beautiful piece of writing. Good Job! Don't listen to people who say you are going to Hell for not believing in God, because there is no such place as Hell. But that is only leading me onto another topic. JUST KEEP WRITING AND FORGET ALL THESE JESUS LOVING LOSERS!

I-go-by-syd said...
on Oct. 19 2009 at 9:45 pm
God loves you too!

on Oct. 19 2009 at 8:30 pm
headinclouds BRONZE, Miami, Florida
3 articles 2 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We were given: Two hands to hold. To legs to walk. Two eyes to see. Two ears to listen. But why only one heart? Because the other was given to someone else. For us to find."
"A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walk"

i used to think that believing in something was better than believing in nothing, that was also when i believed that being atheist was believing in nothing. i am Catholic and i am getting confirmed soon, but it is nice to know that just because you don't believe in God means you don't believe in something. i like knowing that everything and everyone has a purpose but it is good to be open-minded when it comes to all religions. great writing!

on Oct. 19 2009 at 7:58 pm
LeslieAnn BRONZE, Midvale, Utah
1 article 0 photos 47 comments

Favorite Quote:
\\\\\\\"Dream as if you\\\\\\\'ll live forever, Live as if you\\\\\\\'ll die today\\\\\\\" \\\\\\\"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain.\\\\\\\"

For all those of you who are telling the writer that God loves you and God exists...Well I honestly have to say just grow up. She believes what she believes and Its not fair to post comments like on an article that was written with nothing but the utmost respect for other people and their beliefs. If you desire for people to respect your belief system and what you have to say, you better be willing to show the same kindness to other people.

on Oct. 19 2009 at 7:54 pm
LeslieAnn BRONZE, Midvale, Utah
1 article 0 photos 47 comments

Favorite Quote:
\\\\\\\"Dream as if you\\\\\\\'ll live forever, Live as if you\\\\\\\'ll die today\\\\\\\" \\\\\\\"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain.\\\\\\\"

Although I myself do claim a religion, I really see your side of things. And in a way, it makes a lot more sense to me than anything I've heard thus far. Life is about the decisions you make and the person you choose to become. I admire you and I really enjoyed reading this piece.

seapenguin said...
on Oct. 19 2009 at 7:11 pm
seapenguin, Healdsburg, California
0 articles 0 photos 24 comments

Favorite Quote:
I'm a super hero, but with no powers or motivation.

Great article. :) I'm Muslim , so this was interesting for me to read.

WOOOWWW said...
on Oct. 19 2009 at 7:10 pm
Dude, she's not missing out. This is her life, don't try to change her.

on Oct. 19 2009 at 2:26 pm
jesus_saves GOLD, San Antonio, Texas
10 articles 2 photos 57 comments

Favorite Quote:
You know somethings wrong when you can't share your thoughts with your self.
-Sadie P. Jackson

AMEN SISTER!!!!!

I have started a prayer list for people on the internet. I'm gonnna thank god for you

on Oct. 19 2009 at 2:24 pm
jesus_saves GOLD, San Antonio, Texas
10 articles 2 photos 57 comments

Favorite Quote:
You know somethings wrong when you can't share your thoughts with your self.
-Sadie P. Jackson

God Loves you SO MUCH. You are missing out on the whole picture. I WILL BE PRAYING FOR YOU BIG TIME

on Oct. 19 2009 at 12:43 pm
Riverine14 PLATINUM, Pinedale, Wyoming
32 articles 0 photos 16 comments
I really liked this article. It was well written and brutally honest - something that's hard to do these days. I respect you for your because I still dont' know how I feel about God. <br />
I don't appreceiate it when people quote the bible to me and tell me I'm going to be punished because I'm different. I want someone to justify their opinions instead of quoting dry passages to me as I'm sure you've had done to you. Keep writing. :}

on Oct. 19 2009 at 11:22 am
Phantom_Girl GOLD, Ft. Carson, Colorado
14 articles 0 photos 279 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If it comes out of the lion's mouth...it will be on the test."
-Mr. Bala

Great article. I'm not an athiest, but this really delved into the reasons some take religion so seriously. I really respect the fact that you didn't make fun of people who believe in God. It shows a lot of tolerance on your part.

on Oct. 19 2009 at 5:38 am
Electricity PLATINUM, Bradenton, Florida
30 articles 0 photos 271 comments
Blah! I 100% agree with you! People always say, "No you're not" when I say I'm atheist. I'm behind you on that. Great piece!

eglantine GOLD said...
on Oct. 19 2009 at 1:28 am
eglantine GOLD, Huntsville, Alabama
18 articles 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
a robe. you know... a backwards snuggie.

i think you have very deep insight. i don't share you're religious beliefs, but basically, love should be everyone's guide whether they have a particular affiliation or not.

PK4evr ELITE said...
on Oct. 17 2009 at 3:00 pm
PK4evr ELITE, Allen, Texas
105 articles 5 photos 107 comments

Favorite Quote:
When life gives you lemons, make grape juice, then watch everyone wonder how you did it!

This is a good article, however, I must leave you with this one truth: There is no evidence that proves that God does NOT exist, only evidence that he does.

on Oct. 10 2009 at 9:22 pm
Olivia Dawedeit, Jacksonville, Florida
0 articles 0 photos 9 comments
Thank you for posting this. I, too am atheist. I don't believe in pretending just to make you feel more secure.

on Oct. 9 2009 at 11:07 pm
ScarlettS SILVER, Chapmansboro, Tennessee
5 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13

Very well written, but extremely sad. My heart goes out to you writer, but I will not judge, for it is not my place.

on Oct. 7 2009 at 9:44 am
Jade-Writes-xo BRONZE, Fraserburgh, Other
2 articles 1 photo 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Play hard, work harder"

Very well written! You have a some good points there. However, I feel god made the universe. But that's just my opinion!

on Oct. 6 2009 at 10:20 pm
pencil.to.paper BRONZE, Sandy, Utah
1 article 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up. - Unknown

i enjoyed this article. i do not agree with your thoughts on life, and i believe completely in God, an afterlife, and fate. it's always interesting to get another person's views on a subject that's very important to me. i also admire your courage in posting this. not many atheists i know are too vocal about their beliefs, and with this article, you've given me insight into their way of thinking. thanks for that :)

ACooke GOLD said...
on Sep. 29 2009 at 7:47 pm
ACooke GOLD, Ihiohh, New Jersey
16 articles 0 photos 31 comments
that right there is exactly what i mean. we don't believe in any god or higher power. we believe that life is what is and it's still a mystery. im bisexual and i guess that i feel people will be the way they will be. i think that life could end 2moro and if i died knowing that i had lived my days following someone else's rules then sure i would be unhappy. i dont believe in any kind of afterlife so if i die tomoro so what? and no we aren't all perfect or happy and "God" can't be perfect either. we go through a lot and when some of us have had issues with sexuality, sexual abuse, depression and many more issues we feel like we've overcome things by ourselves. no one hs made us that way or set us on some destiny

on Sep. 29 2009 at 12:52 am
Lil_bear BRONZE, Murrieta, California
2 articles 0 photos 16 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me."
-C. S. Lewis

I appreciate your response, and I'm glad you see we're not all bad (or annoying) just like I know all you Atheists aren't bad either. I just don't understand how you guys are so confident in creating and believing in yourselves when all humans are so incredibly imperfect. Without a perfect God to help you and keep you going, isn't it almost impossible to feel real happiness from yourself? I mean REAL happiness?