My Religion | Teen Ink

My Religion MAG

I have a magnet on my mirror stating, “Life is not about finding yourself – life is about creating yourself.” This is the statement I live by.

Many people do not believe me when I say I am an atheist. They don’t understand that I simply do not believe in any sort of god or afterlife. I also do not believe in the devil, in angels, or in souls. I believe in myself and the strength I have gained through the help of my parents, teachers, and friends – and my own hard work.

I am not going to try to dissuade anyone from his or her own opinions either. I know that people enjoy having religion in their lives; some need their faith to help them through hard times. And some do not want the responsibility of their misfortunes weighing down on their shoulders.

I do. I abhor the idea of fate – that everything is already planned out and you have no control to change anything. If you believe in fate, when bad things happen, it is not your fault; it’s just fate. When my life is not going well, I know that it is no one’s fault but my own. When I do well in school, when I fall in love, it is not fate and we are not soul mates. I worked hard and paid attention and did the homework. My love and I simply love each other – that is all it is, and for me that is all it needs to be.

For some, life is overwhelming. How can anyone be successful and happy in such a difficult, horrible world? They need someone to help them, someone to guide them, and someone to have faith in to make sure things get better. Placing my success and happiness in another’s hands breaks my heart. I need to be successful because of my efforts. I must be responsible for my own happiness. That is what I need from my religion.

Who will ever know what the truth really is? All I know is in the same way that some have full faith and trust in God to give them hope, I need to believe I am on my own to be truly happy – for how can I create myself if I spend my entire life just looking?

write4life GOLD, Macon, Georgia
It depends on what you believe. According to the Bible, God created animals for man's enjoyment and entertainment (not like dog fighting entertainment...you know what I mean). Plants were created for humans to eat. After Eve and Adam disobeyed God, He killed an animal and made clothes for them from the animal's skin; this was the first sacrifice and a picture of the sacrifice that Jesus would make in the future. Then God commanded Adam and Eve to kill animals and eat the meat. All of this is found in the first three chapters of Genesis.

pheasant BRONZE, Dell Rapids, South Dakota
i totally agree with u

30/30chick BRONZE, Hayden, Alabama

" Dont sacrifice your calling for comfort." - Alyssa Barlow

Wow thats very intresting. I can see you wrote that from your heart. But all I can say is that the only reason bad things happen yes is our falut, but its through alittle something call "sowing and reaping".

Envoy_of_the_Spirit SILVER, Ponce De Leon, Florida
Fate is simply the concept that "what is to be, is to be." It's hardly debatable. Why should you adore the idea that everything is already planned out and you have no control to change anything"? Planning is an act of intelligence, and if an intelligence has already planned everything out, what could this intelligence be? Necessarily, it must be omniscient, which describes all the masks of God; Yahweh, Allah , etc. You contradict yourself here.
"If you believe in fate, when bad things happen, it is not your fault; it’s just fate." If one decides to kill a bird (action), and the are executed for this (bad thing), then it is their fault. Fate simply conceptualizes that "What is to be, is to be." Fate is not a debatable concept, it's simple. What will happen will happen. Going to be hit by a drunk driver, being hit by a drunk driver. Fate. Perhaps you were thinking of Fate as an intelligent force, as the ancient Welsh did, as several gods, but you certainly didn't illustrate that.
Also, a religion should not be abode by for "help through hard times" or because one doesn't "want the responsibility of their misfortunes weighing down on their shoulders". Those are foolish people. I do commend you for seeking happiness within yourself--which is the only source of true happiness.

Meagan SILVER said...
Meagan SILVER, Albert Lea, Minnesota

"Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them."
-Lemony Snicket

Then I have one questioin for you: Why does ANY life exist?

whisperingofdawn GOLD, Colorado City, Arizona
wow! i really couldn't believe it when i read this article! this describes exactly how i feel on the matter! but i have never been able to describe it, even to myself. you have no idea how much this has helped me!

kudos to you!!

coffeebean101, Cave City, Kentucky

I'm not going to change the way I look or the way I feel to conform to anything. I've always been a freak. So I've been a freak all my life and I have to live with that, you know. I'm one of those people.
-John Lennon

I liked this alot. I'm not sure what exactly I believe in. But this was rather beautiful, so thank you (:

Morningstar PLATINUM, Geneva, Indiana
This is exactly how I feel on a lot of things. Other than the fact that there is such thing as fate vs. free will I'm not entirely sure.

Very nice writing.

EricBlair BRONZE, London, Other

"I understand HOW, I do not understand WHY" -George Orwell, 1984

My last comment was meant to be a response to 'i-go-by-syd', not to Sarah. I can't remove it.

EricBlair BRONZE, London, Other

I'll pray for you too,

but would you mind,

If my prayers go to Brahman?

EricBlair BRONZE, London, Other

This really is my kind of atheist! I am a religious Hindu, and opposed to anyone who puts themselves above others because of their beliefs. Atheists have a tendency to be bad at this (I'm looking at you Richard Dawkins!) and I'm thrilled to find one whose statements are constructive rather than critical.

I would like to hear more from you!

write4life GOLD, Macon, Georgia
I have one question for all atheists and agnostics: why do you think human life exists?

4everluvjc BRONZE, Plantation, Florida

nothing is impossible with God! Try him and you'll see :)

I don't intend to argue, but I have to state this: <br />
In Jewish religion and Christianity, the aspect of choice is really what determines who you are and who you become. <br />
I know that there is an element of trust and faith, but that usually pertains to things we cannot do. For instance: We can't be perfect, so  Jesus  became perfect for us. Our children are dying, of cancer. We can't heal them, but God can. We can't pay for rent, there is no money. God provides. <br />
It's usually in the uncertain times that faith truly works and God shows up. <br />
But in all other things it depends on you. Do you want to get good grades, well work  hard on  it. Do you want your marriage to work, well work  hard on  it. The bible act as a guide to life, doesn't say you have to do it, but it's better if you do. Like your syllabus or tips to success. It's says love one another, turn the other cheek. Doesn't mean I will or I should, but it usually is better if I do.<br />
And finally one other thing that is beyond our control is the afterlife. That is something God is in control over. We can't make it to heaven, but God can bring us there. By faith, just like with the child that is sick, it can be achieved. But it also takes choice, would you choose to follow? It also is you determining whether your afterlife will be with  Christ  or somewhere else unexplained....<br />
Hope you got my point :)

Andreeka SILVER, Carrollton, Texas
i Feel the Same Way. i Am Catholic, It's Cool With Me if You Have a Diffrent Reliqion, Peoplee Who are Puttinq There Reliqion On You,Don't Get it Becuase We Are All diffrent, And Don't Belive in The Same Thinqs, so Keep Your Head Hiqh Gurl♥

Jezabel PLATINUM, Ricmond, Virginia

In the end we will not the remeber the words of your enemys, but the silence of are friends.
~ Martin Luther King Jr.

i too am athesit, ur article is beautiful. when they say ur not or ur crazy. keep ur head up high. there are people in this world that agree with u

Erperderp said...
Erperderp, Bangor, Maine

EAT THE STUPID COOKIE!!!!

i do belivie in God but really she has a free will

teenroses said...
teenroses, Lubbock, Texas
:'D exactly.

People often misunderstand Athiests.

jesus_saves GOLD, San Antonio, Texas

You know somethings wrong when you can't share your thoughts with your self.
-Sadie P. Jackson

Hey, Why don't you look up the Secret Ambition video? It is realy cool!!!

jesus_saves GOLD, San Antonio, Texas

-Sadie P. Jackson

Listen I know you feel i am pressing my religon on you, but the truth is I want everyone to go to heaven and I want everyone to know that Jesus is the Lord, please, before you judge me, look up "Secret Ambition" on Utube, then get back to me because the bible says
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have everlasting life." John 3:16
I am going to be praying for you JaceC
and look up the video OK you don't have to believe it jus watch it.

JaseC GOLD said...
JaseC GOLD, Granbury, Texas
leave this girl alone. she doesn't believe in god. and to be honest most of the people that don'tare highly intelligent, so what does that say about your god?