No, You Cannot | Teen Ink

No, You Cannot MAG

It is a new nation,
a nation that proudly proclaims:
“Yes we can.”
But what power holds “yes we can,”
when America has told many of our
brothers and sisters
“no, you cannot”?
You cannot follow your heart.
You cannot move forward.
You cannot take a hand.
You cannot break the mold.
“Marriage is a holy bond
for a man and a woman
it is not yours to taint,” they say.
Where is the future?
Relentlessly we must
keep striving for a better day.
We must stop this hatred
and bring about change in the
wake of defeat.

This piece was written after Prop 8 was passed in California, a national tragedy at the state level.

ellyncannon PLATINUM, Mexia, Texas

That which we persist in doing becomes easier, not that the task itself has become easier, but that our ability to perform it has improved.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
<3

thats not what i meant. i just meant that i dont believe in gay marriges. im not trying to discriminate and i dont think my religon (or anyone elses) justifies discrimination. and now i sorta wish i hadnt posted a comment in the first place seeing as pretty much every one has been giving me crap for even POSTING something!

magic-esi PLATINUM, Hyde Park, New York

"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light."

And you are both forgetting that the Bible asks you to stone a man who cheats on his wife and to make a journey to Jerusalem to sacrifice animals every harvest.

I am Jewish (please can everyone NOT say that I belong in a gas oven, thank you) and I believe that you should follow the Bible, but you DO realize that it is just a set of guidelines? It's not something to follow word for word? At that point, it stops being about faith and starts being about obsession. And it has been translated and reworded so many times not even the most original copies can be trusted to be precisely G-d's word. So I hope that that at least makes you think for a second. I don't expect this to change your mind- not in the least! You're so set into your ways that not even G-d himself coming down to the Earth and telling you personally that you are wrong will change your mind. 

In case you couldn't tell, I wholeheartedly support gay marriage and gay rights and I really do think that people who think otherwise are either total idiots or can't open their mind at all.

magic-esi PLATINUM, Hyde Park, New York

As much as I agree with you, I disagree on one point- marriage IS necessary. It's all good to be with someone and know you love each other, but actually being legally married gives people rights of being in the same family- instant knowledge of their whereabouts, being the first one allowed to see them in the hospital, being the legal parent of their child. That is why it is so crucial to give the right of marriage to gay as well as straight people. After all, doesn't everyone deserve equal rights?

I really agree with you on most of the comment, but I just thought I should point out that one thing.

magic-esi PLATINUM, Hyde Park, New York

These are exactly the same words that were going through my head the first time I heard about discrimination against gay people. Very well written comment.

Eilatan GOLD said...
Eilatan GOLD, Old Greenwich, Connecticut

"Nobody is normal. Everybody in the world is a weirdo freak. Except you, which makes you a weirdo freak."

amazing. i support everything you said. thank you for bringing these issues out in the open.

Eilatan GOLD said...

this is really powerful. I wholeheatredly support gay/lesbien rights and firmly believe in marital equality. thank you for bringing these issues out in the open.

seven_stones GOLD, Atlantis, Massachusetts
I agree. I think that one day America will look back at this discrimanation and be ashamed. I hope that one day we will get to a place as a nation that allows us to not just toelrate our differences but embrace them. I hope that one day people will stop forcing their beliefs on others. And I hope that those who do not believe in gay marriage can find it in themselves to leave behind all the intolerance. Because of their attitudes I believe that w ehave regressed as a society.

I agree! I am Catholic and I believe that although I have personal beliefs regarding this topic, they need to stay seperate from the law. I am a firm believer that those in love deserve to get married. I mean seriously, the state will allow two total a** holes get married but deny those in love because of their genders? Not fair. I am a proud american, but I believe that one day we will look back at this discrimination and consider it a dark stain on our history.

WonderDreamer23 BRONZE, Maplewood, Minnesota

Shut Up and Live I am the most sexiest thing that happened to you and i know you know it.

i saw true dat

SAME!........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Live2Write PLATINUM, Ravensdale, Washington

"Here's to waking up Thursday, and thinking it's Friday."
"It's Wednesday, dude."

"And we didn't think it was very cool, so... we tried to kill him."
"Dude, they're cops!"

"Great minds think alike."
"And fools seldom differ."

Beautiful poem, but I have to say I don't exactly agree with it. America is about freedom, and free will. They may deny that, but you have noticed we're working to change that, right? We're trying.

Dr.Dre BRONZE said...
Dr.Dre BRONZE, Memphis, Tennessee
This poem really says a lot and it is very true. You have created a wonderful piece!

taintedannex GOLD, Hong Kong, Other

The truth is that at some point, everyone's going to hurt you. You just have to decide who's worth the pain.

Some say having something to lose is what makes you vulnerable. I believe that having something to lose only makes you stronger.

This is so beautiful! Each and every line is so inspirational. I love it. :)

greg9381 GOLD said...
greg9381 GOLD, Atlanta, Georgia
And so you're saying that the laws of the United States should conform to your religious beliefs (and those of many others, but not all, in the United States). What your religion tells you is right or wrong has nothing to do with what should be made legal or illegal. And yes, that is the topic of this poem (Proposition 8 to be specific). What ever happened to the separation of church and state?

ellyncannon PLATINUM, Mexia, Texas

Ralph Waldo Emerson
<3

thank you!

Hugs-N-Kisses GOLD, Alta Vista, Kansas
Seriously what happend to "One nation under GOD" i agree 100% that god made ADAM and EVE!!!

ellyncannon PLATINUM, Mexia, Texas

Ralph Waldo Emerson
<3

i pretty much agree...

ellyncannon PLATINUM, Mexia, Texas

Ralph Waldo Emerson
<3

All I meant by my previous comment was that no one but a man and a woman should be married. And i COMPLETELY agree that America is full of hypocricy. And I am a Christian!! AND I'M PROUD OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Karma_Chameleon SILVER, English, Indiana

To be able to say "I love you" one must first be able to say "I" - Ayn Rand

Perhaps you're right ellyn, but other people have differences in their religious beliefs, and yours are not superior, and should not be used to justify discrimination.

letsmakehistory GOLD, Fishers, Indiana
Love the poem, and I'm impressed you picked such a controversial topic to write about. But good writing is supposed to voice opinions and I'll just say that I completely agree with your thoughts. :) good job!