No, You Cannot | Teen Ink

No, You Cannot MAG

It is a new nation,
a nation that proudly proclaims:
“Yes we can.”
But what power holds “yes we can,”
when America has told many of our
brothers and sisters
“no, you cannot”?
You cannot follow your heart.
You cannot move forward.
You cannot take a hand.
You cannot break the mold.
“Marriage is a holy bond
for a man and a woman
it is not yours to taint,” they say.
Where is the future?
Relentlessly we must
keep striving for a better day.
We must stop this hatred
and bring about change in the
wake of defeat.

This piece was written after Prop 8 was passed in California, a national tragedy at the state level.

chargertien GOLD, Forest Hill, Maryland

Life sucks and is unfair. But when a melody dances in the wind, stop and enjoy the peacefulness.

I think this is an amzing poem about an amazing event. Now I'm striaght but I think that it does NOT matter what sex nor skin color someone is, the only thing that DOES matter is what we do with the heart that is given to us.
Hatred has separated this great nation. And if you accept poeple and accept the happiness, secluding the maddess, we could accopmlish greater things like ending the war that is killing our American citizens (and god bless them for their service).
I don't care if you hate me for this. A heart's a heart not matter who it loves. Get over it already and accept no believe in happiness.
Oh, and you bible freaks out there, who are so afraid of change you cannot give it any rope for it to grow. I was baptized, and later left the church (for reasons unrelated to this matter) You may call it betrayal but I call it opening my eyes. I feel bad for those who don't believe in this matter because they don't believe in happines.

KellyR GOLD said...
KellyR GOLD, Richmond, Virginia

We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.

I love this poem is very well written and I also agree with you on prop. 8. Just because someone believes in the bible doesn't mean we should all be forced to. And if anyone of them felt the struggle of those of gays and lesbians i bet they would change their minds. But I thought this was a beautiful piece of work. Awsome Job!

jmc.13 said...
jmc.13, Dobbs Ferry, New York

"I'd rather regret what I did than what I didn't do."

I agree that it is a beautiful poem. Very well written. However, I believe that neither the bible nor god can dictate the sexual orientation of any individual.

Twilight_chic BRONZE, Jacksonville, Florida
I think you are a very gifted writer. But i do not agree with you... God made a man and a woman not two women or two men. I believe the bible and do not agree with this. I do thin that you should continue writing and i also like how you opinionate your views. but keep writing, the poems amazing!!

MiSs_ShAe BRONZE, Bristol, Tennessee

You're an angel...

Wow that is wonderfully portrayed! But it's not hate or discrimination religious ppl are talking about my bible says its wrong! Thats what i go by.

brit18 said...
I believe that love is with two people. Love is love and if you have it you should hold on to it. Do whatever you can to keep it. Love is a precious thing. That can be lost in a matter of seconds.

mmodeusher GOLD, Shreveport, Louisiana
Prop. 8 is ridiculous, because if you're allowing gay rights outside of marriage, then why can't the rights be the same in marriage?
I believe homosexuality is wrong, but their choice is not up to me...That choice is between them and God.
Yes we should explain the wrong, but you can't force them to change...It's not the American way to force it upon them...It's not God's will to force it upon them...
So if you want to help them, explain why the choice is wrong and allow them to live their fate!!!!

Writedancelove&live GOLD, Redding, California

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
"Karen: If you're from Africa why are you white? Gretchen: Omg Karen, you can't just ask people why they're white."

I too live in california, and think prop. 8 was rediculous. Love is between 2 hearts, and it doesn't matter if those hearts are both in male or female bodies.

pyropoet said...
omg! this is an amazing poem! u r a truly gifted writer :)

Actresspoet123, Anchorage, Alaska
very prudent i love it

Brittany=) said...
Wow, say it loud. This is great. :) Keep It Up.

Inkspired PLATINUM, Whitby, Other

"If one will scoff at the study of language, how, save in terms of language, will one scoff?" - Mario Pei
"I write for the same reason I breathe - because if I didn't, I would die." Isaac Asimov

Love this! It's so meaningful, and really really powerful. Well written!

tennisislovee34 GOLD, Sterling Heights, Michigan

"Every moment of your life, you're writing. Even in your dreams, you're writing. When you walk the halls in this school you meet various people and you write furiously in your head." -Frank McCourt

I really like this! You raise a good pointtttttt, keep it up! :)

nolongerinuse SILVER, San Antonio, Texas

“Love has no desire but to fulfill itself. To melt and be like a running brook that sings its melody to the night. To wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving.” - Kahlil Gibran

Only one word I can say: Dudeable. (DOOD-a-bull)

floaton BRONZE said...
floaton BRONZE, E. Setauket, New York
simply wonderful.

on Jun. 20 2009 at 4:11 am
Lindsay Reller, Saugus, California
I completely agree. America is supposed the land of the free and the home of the brave, yet many gay people are rejected the basic right of marraige. Religious people do not call it discrimination or hate, but that is exactly what it is.

Sarah Jane McGinn BRONZE, Fremont, Michigan
This is an awesome piece of work! Keep voicing your opinion, because people actually do want to hear it. Way to go!

LakaiOrDie said...
@ poster under me

by supporting prop 8, you don't want gay marriage, you contradict yourself...

I was (and still is!) a supporter of Prop 8, though it was (and still is!) across the country. I don't understand, what's so bad about gay marriage? Why can't it be legal, we're all different anyway, that's what they teach us in school.

Your poem is awesome, I love it

kumiko-chan SILVER, Moreno Valley, California
excellent, and yes, prop 8 really does suck.