The Sound of Silence | Teen Ink

The Sound of Silence

September 30, 2015
By Bailley3 BRONZE, Sharpsburg, Georgia
Bailley3 BRONZE, Sharpsburg, Georgia
3 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Little by little, one travels far." -J.R.R. Tolkien


When someone says "silence", they are asking for the room to be so quiet they could hear the footsteps of a mouse. One word and they repeat- "silence."

 

The wind rustled the leaves of the trees and the only sound to break this silence is the irregularity of my own breath as I hike up the mountain side. Hearing the wind once again mixed with the chirp of crickets, the only sound to break this silence is my own shuffling in my sleeping bag. Listen harder. This is my silence.

 

Hiking downhill you feel the ache of your feet and your knees scream, "Why?" And all the while on the uphill tremulous want to know why you still can't see the peak and your heart threatens to burst. "Why would you do this?" they ask. Because why not.

 

When the pack is finally set down after a long day you can look back and think, this is what I've done. When the trees lean over and and make way just for you to see, you have just conquered this mountain. Gazing at the view you look back and think, this is what I've done. The air conditioning hits your face after days of being in the woods and while you drive away from the trail you can think, this is what I did. Meeting people and hearing the distance they've come you think, this is what we've all done and it's all worth the while. 

 

I no longer need to worry about what's due or what to study. All that matters is where my foot is placed and whether or not the white blaze is in front of me.

Tell me again why you would do this? Because why not. I will march on through this wilderness and listen to the sound of Silence.


The author's comments:

This was something written as a result of a family hike on Labor Day weekend, but I feel like this can apply to many other topics as well.