Matter Of Time | Teen Ink

Matter Of Time

By Sofia_Gonz07 GOLD, San Marcos, CA, California
Sofia_Gonz07 GOLD, San Marcos, CA, California

It is just a matter of time; leaves will begin on their journey to the ground, in hope that their home will continue to be full with life, flowers will bloom and awaken from their sleep, and people will come to realize what their destinies are.
It is just a matter of time; the heart of a human will quit asking for permission to love someone and begin to trust, mistakes will be forgiven, and the damage of a natural disaster will be recovered.
It is just a matter of time.
It is just a matter of time; I will get over you and see you as a friend, young love will ignite in my friend group, and my former life at school will never be the same.
People like you don’t confess- you don’t kiss and tell, you don’t tell your secrets, don’t let trust come with the availability of a confession you may make.
I’d been wondering if you had felt what I had felt for you when my heart still soared at your very presence, voice, or actions.
Words could not describe how curious I’d been- I’d gone crazy searching for hints and yet you never seemed to let any out.
Talking became rare for us, you ceased to text me a paragraph when I would send a few sentences, I’d say hello and you would reply late.
But then, one day, we aimed to change our friendship from a pause to a play.
Maybe my heart had been the only  one that had rejoiced that day but I’d take that fix any day, with or without a similar reaction from you.
It’s been a year.
It’s been weeks.
It’s been days.
It’s been hours.
It’s been minutes.
It’s been seconds since I’ve known you and yet I’ve chosen to get over you.
I could hand my heart over to you, let my trust take on all of the challenges but knowing my heart could be broken has left me with a clear decision.
I will let matters be at the hands of the world and not my own.
I could be a scientist, exploring how we work but doing so would leave me puzzled.
You are not like any other.
You may let your personality be obvious, but the feelings that relate to love never seem to break out of your heart and into your voice.
You can’t tell who it is that has you dreaming or who it is that has you asking yourself a few questions.
And then there is your friend.
We might have left him as a third wheel.
I pity him, he doesn’t know that I have feelings for you instead.
He has sent me hints unlike you.
It is only a matter of time; I will get over you forever and see you as a friend, young love will ignite in my friend group, and my former life at school will never be the same.
Moves could have been made.
Words could have been said.
Bit by bit, I have begun to head out, nowadays I reflect on what we could have been and what we are instead.
I wondered what I’d done but I know what it is now- I’d fled.
And I’d fled because I had been afraid and admitted to myself that most guys don’t like me back which meant that you’d probably do the same.
I often liked those who held a higher ranking than I did, though they would always fall for those who were their friends instead, mainly because I laid off of talking to them.
Moves could’ve been made.
Words could have been said.
And yet I fled.

This poem is based off of a true story. A guy I'd liked in the past and I had this going on between us and now that third wheel person and I are going at it. Who knew that would happen haha.

WolfWhisperer0911 BRONZE, Austin, Texas
@Sofia_Gonz07 Great poem!