Relaxation Destination For The Winter | Teen Ink

Relaxation Destination For The Winter

By chloe19 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
chloe19 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

In December of 2013 the Steamboat ski slope was packed with tons of visitors eager to indulge in winter activities. 170 ski runs filled with millions of tracks from skis and snowboards, carved divots into the powdery snow caps. Snow droplets filled the sky, falling down onto the mountain side, creating deep pockets of snow along each and every run. Here all skill levels are welcomed with green, blue, black, and double black runs encompassing the 2,965 acres of Steamboat. 

Trail maps are displayed in a variety of areas; Online, chairlift pull down bars, and on large boards after getting off of the gondola or chairlifts. The large trail map boards include the conditions of the run as well, (groomed, moguls, powder, difficult terrain, etc.). Listed conditions are a great guide in deciding which runs are equipped with your skill level. 

Navigating the mountain is very easy as the Steamboat staff are devoted to giving you insightful information about anything on top of the mountain or at the resort. Also, personnel and rescue services are all over ensuring a safe environment for all visitors. 

From the top of each run you can see the bustling town center where shops, restaurants, and hotels line the bottom of the hill. With hotels being at the bottom of the ski hill it gives visitors a convenient place to settle in after a long day outdoors. Although, convenience comes with a price especially during the peak months for skiing and snowboarding here at Steamboat. Transportation is also provided by hotels that are located at a further distance from the ski hill. There are even bus stops throughout the whole town that will take you right up to the entrance of Steamboat if your hotel doesn't offer its own transportation service. 

Do you need to leave the mountain to eat? No. Chalets at the top of the mountain offer everyone a place to put their skis and snowboards while going in for a bite to eat. Not only are you able to take a rest at the top to satisfy your hunger, the bottom of the hill offers similar amenities. Certain restaurants are right at the base of the main hill available for anyone coming off the hill. After satisfying your stomach at a base restaurant the gondola is easily accessible to take you back up to the top of the mountain.

Overall unwinding in these Colorado mountains will make you feel like you are on cloud 9. With an amazing landscape and various amenities Steamboat is the winter destination for anyone.