Review of On The Come Up by Angie Thomas (SPOILERS) | Teen Ink

Review of On The Come Up by Angie Thomas (SPOILERS)

May 29, 2019
By I-am-a-young-author SILVER, Madison, Wisconsin
I-am-a-young-author SILVER, Madison, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Life is too short to be normal. Stay weird."


I read the book On The Come Up recently. It is now my favorite book (if I pick favorites) I have ever read. It gives a good look at the violence of real life. Many people raise their children thinking the world is all puppies and candy. (Mine didn't, but I know a lot of them do) Well, if you haven't noticed already, it isn't. On The Come Up gives a view on black discrimination and hate, while also showing what poverty feels like. I feel like it's a hard task and can only be done by a master author, like Angie Thomas. I also feel like there is just the right amount of romance, which I didn't expect at the beginning. Curtis and Bri share a passionate kiss, which is located around page 330. I love how she describes the kiss. Onto another topic, she can write songs!!! On The Come Up is amazing, the lyrics and the meaning behind it. Also, I love the way she describes the sadness of poverty, which is a hard thing to write about. I have never experienced poverty, but I try to help end it. All in all, On The Come Up, is a recommended novel for all who care about really any kind of isms or phobias. (sexism, racism, transphobia, homophobia, etc.)


The author's comments:

I love this novel, and am about to read The Hate U Give, which I am also really excited for. Although I am Caucasian and have never experienced poverty, I know it is real and I care. I care very much. I do all I can to rise against these isms and phobias.