So You Want to Talk About Race Review | Teen Ink

So You Want to Talk About Race Review

January 13, 2021
By behrrinke BRONZE, Austin, Texas
behrrinke BRONZE, Austin, Texas
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Talking about race is difficult for most people. Oftentimes, conversations about race are neglected simply because they can make people uncomfortable. Ijeoma Oluo hopes to change this with her nonfiction book, So You Want to Talk About Race. Throughout the book, Oluo offers answers and insight into many questions regarding race, like “What is the school-to-prison pipeline?” (121) and “Is police brutality really about race?” (83). Oluo’s main purposes for writing this book were to educate others and start conversation.

Ijeoma Oluo wrote this book with the purpose of educating people about race and equipping them to have these difficult conversations. A person may feel uncomfortable discussing their privilege or anything regarding race if they don’t fully understand what they’re talking about. Oluo educates others by providing statistics, explanations, and stories from her own life as a black queer woman in America to help readers understand race better. Talking is easier when everyone involved in the conversation fully understands what is being discussed- especially when it comes to conversations about race. It is important to remember that racial oppression is “a broad and cumulative force” (17). Also, race in America has history, which is very important to understand when having discussions on the topic. So You Want to Talk About Race fully equips people to have meaningful and beneficial conversations on race.

Additionally, the purpose of So You Want to Talk About Race is to start conversation. After reading this book, readers will be more likely to have these difficult conversations with their friends or families. Conversations about race will be easier after reading this book because readers will be equipped with a wealth of information regarding the topic. Oluo repeatedly states that while these conversations “will never be painless”, they “will always be worth it” (52). Conversations about race are necessary for any sort of progress in the world. If we can’t even have conversations about racial injustice, how are we supposed to solve these problems? 

Systematic racism is a disease that has plagued our country since its formation. While there are other ways to incite change (donating to organizations that help people of color, supporting POC-owned businesses, making diversity a goal for school, government, and groups you are involved in), having conversations with other people about race is one of the most effective solutions. Having meaningful conversations about race helps communities and individuals become stronger and are necessary for growth. I highly recommend reading this book because no one is exempt from the effects of race within our society. Ijeoma Oluo’s purpose of writing So You Want to Talk About Race is extremely clear throughout the course of the book: to educate people and encourage these necessary  conversations about race.


The author's comments:

I am a seventeen year old in Austin, Texas! I wrote this review for my English class this year. Absolutely loved this book.