Jane Eyre book review | Teen Ink

Jane Eyre book review

By Jackren SILVER, Shanghai, Other
Jackren SILVER, Shanghai, Other

“I am no bird, and no net ensnares me; I’m a free human being with an independent will.” This quote from Jane Eyre is perhaps the best summary of the eponymous heroine’s personality: self-conscious, resilient, intelligent, and independent. Thanks to the author Charlotte Bronte, countless people have been motivated by this story of perseverance in love and self-actualization, including myself.

Jane goes through five stages in her life: in Gateshead, she learns the limited nature of seeking revenge for injustice; in Lowood, she learns tolerance and the persistent pursuit of goals and knowledge; and in Thornfield with Rochester and at the Moor house with the Rivers, she learns to resist temptations. Jane mentions early in the novel that she read A Pilgrim’s Progress. Just like how the Christian in the story manages to reach the Celestial City, Jane finally reaches Ferndean Manor where she at last marries Rochester with true rightfulness and happiness at heart.

I saw the ghost of my own life in Jane Eyre’s story. Her journey in self-seeking deeply impressed me and inspires me remarkably. You see, I used to be unconfident about my opinions and felt fearful about expressing my thoughts. I also worried that people would form mean remarks if I pursued what I wanted too passionately. That concern, in fact, haunted me severely and often depressed me. But by reading the story of Jane, I was empowered and motivated by her astoundingly firm will and her strong personal principles. I watched her confront similar fiascos and dilemmas I had struggled with, and I saw how she rebelliously and wisely tackled these obstacles. She showed a clear path for me that turned out to be right—be oneself bravely and firmly, and one will gain what one deserves. Since then, I’ve engaged more in both school and social life. By abiding by my own principles, I encountered a group of friends that have made me feel authentically happy.

Jane Eyre’s influence is long-lasting—I believe that every time one reads her story at different ages of life, one will realize something new from it. Now that I’m in high school, all my classmates and I will encounter challenges and hardships, either from stressful IB Diploma courses or exhausting extracurricular activities. And when I face such hardships, Jane Eyre will appear in my mind. Throughout her life, Jane persistently dealt with both inner conflicts and setbacks from the outside world. Despite the considerable effort she pays, she finally makes it through her journey. Thus, when I face setbacks in my life, I remind myself of Jane and her resilience and perseverance. Jane has become a spiritual sanctuary for me, and her story pushes me to tackle challenges with courage and confidence.

On the other hand, Jane also taught me to balance sentiments and rationality. Just like Jane, I can be deeply submerged in my thoughts and emotions, and I also can deal with issues with rationality and knowledge. Jane and I both believe that a balance between the two approaches is ideal to solve problems rightfully and satisfactorily. Jane learns through her experiences with Rochester and St, John. The former represents passion and desire, while the latter represents arrogance and rationality. Jane finds both of them unsatisfying. By interacting with them, she gradually manages to control both her emotions and rationalities and integrate them to become a cultivated, meticulous yet passionate individual. Inspired and encouraged by her example, I also pursue this path of balanced passion and rationality.