Loveless | Teen Ink

Loveless

By marjoarend BRONZE, Nova Petropolis, Other
marjoarend BRONZE, Nova Petropolis, Other

“In the end, that was the problem with romance. It was so easy to romanticize romance because it was everywhere.”

This is the kind of book that brings a great feeling of comfort and warmth.

The narrative focuses on the protagonist, Georgia Warr, discovering herself as aromantic and asexual. Alice Oseman developed this trajectory in a very beautiful way  and I consider this a must-read for everyone who identifies with Georgia.

Even though the focus is on Georgia's sexuality, this work is full of diversity and captivating  characters. I liked the way the author developed the backstories which were undoubtedly a lot of fun to read.

However, what I liked most about "Loveless” was the relationship between the characters. Often friends don’t have the same recognition as boyfriends or girlfriends, but this book shows that a friendship can be much more intense and special and lasting.

“Give your friendships the magic you would give a romance. Because they're just as important. Actually, for us, they're way more important.”

The group of friends in this story was a very precious, admirable thing to read and shows how great love is, sometimes, right in front of us. I was too moved by the small Shakespeare Society.

The author's writing is humorous, rapid and full of references to pop culture in the right measure. I laughed a lot, but I was also able to reflect a lot. Aromanticism and asexuality often go unnoticed and not properly understood, And I think the author has done a great job of conveying that through the experiences and feelings of Georgia.

“Loveless” is a fun, touching book about self-discovery and acceptance. Even though it shows that romance isn’t everything, it’s about the purest and most honest form of love there is.