Eragon: Changing my Childhood | Teen Ink

Eragon: Changing my Childhood

January 24, 2024
By Colin_Park BRONZE, Bakersfield, California
Colin_Park BRONZE, Bakersfield, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Actually, it's hard to argue with someone who looks so happy" - Calvin, Calvin and Hobbes


     Dragons, magic, and an oppressive overlord. Sounds eerily similar to The Lord of the Rings, right?

     To some degree, it certainly is.

     But where Christopher Paolini’s Eragon succeeded were heartbreaking moments, surprisingly relatable characters (for a fantasy novel), and seat-gripping action. The expertise of which this story was written blew my fifth-grade mind; I would scarf down my chicken nuggets at breakneck speed and run over to the nearest chair while choking on bits of chicken, struggling to find the page I was on.

     Eragon follows the life of a young boy, aptly named Eragon, who must pick up the mantle of the legendary dragon rider after discovering a mysterious dragon egg. The omnipotent tyrant, Galbatorix is seeking to destroy our protagonist and finally establish the dragon riders as extinct as to solidify his rule. Eragon goes on an epic journey, fighting back against the evil ruler, seeking to finally end his oppressive reign.

     To this day, as a bleary-eyed Sophomore, I find myself struggling to pick up a new book for the simple fact that they’re never as engrossing as Eragon had been. This storyline is done so fantastically that you can’t even relate it to another story. Paolini’s dynamic writing style, mixed with complex and beautiful world-building, just adds another layer of depth and interest to the story as we journey along with Eragon to discover his world.

     However, the attention to detail is what I especially fell in love with.

     Normally, I don’t particularly enjoy reading tons of descriptions–it’s boring and I don’t find myself particularly interested in how blue the shade of paint on a wall is. But this story’s detailing goes far above constructing its world; Paolini managed to create an entirely new language, explicitly describe magic and fighting styles, and actually develop strategies in magical warfare. I, as well as all readers, are automatically inclined to keep learning about everything the author can tell us: Can Eragon master magic? How powerful can he truly become? Will it eventually be enough, if ever, to defeat the king? 

     To add a cherry on top, Paolini’s writing style is just sublime. His seamless flow mixed with artistic direction perfectly showcases the complex world that he has created and we, the readers, can just bask in the beauty of Eragon.

     I am continually inspired by Eragon, thanks to Christopher Paolini’s writing and storytelling, and wholeheartedly recommend everyone to give it a thorough read.


The author's comments:

While the entire series is great as well, the first is most certainly the best.